View Full Version : Infinity RS6 speakers

onepixel
08-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi,
This is my first post. I've checked this site out for information in the past and I think it's great.

Does any have any info on Infinity RS6 speakers. I couldn't find any on the web. I saw a photo of them and they look like Kappas but don't have Kappas written on the back. They are selling for $65 is that a good?

Thanks!

Andyman
08-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Is this them???

RS6 Link (http://www.infinity-classics.de/infinity/models/Reference-series-1+b-2-10+A+B-1981-86/index-Reference.htm)

Reference Standard 6

Introduced: 1982 (?)
Dimensions: 56 x 34 x 25 cm
Bass: 1 x 20 cm
Mids: 1 x Polydome
Highs: 1 x EMIT
Suggested for amplifiers with: 35-100 Watts per channel
Frequency range: 45 Hz - 32 kHz
Crossover frequencies: 600 Hz, 4000 Hz
Suggested price (pair): 518 $

Those EMITs are prolly worth the $65 if both work.

kfa888
08-15-2005, 07:24 PM
If it is I'll give you $68 for them :D

onepixel
08-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Wow...that was quick. I haven't bought the speakers yet. From what I see they look pretty good. Thanks.

onepixel
08-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Didn't see the link. Yup those are it.

Inspiribomb
08-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Those EMITs are prolly worth the $65 if both work.

Took the words right outta my mouth. If they sound anything close to my RS-6000's, you'll be in love from the second you hear them (with sufficient power, that is).

Toasted Almond
08-15-2005, 08:45 PM
I just moved a pair of pretty good condition RS-6B's out of here yesterday for $30 (Yes, I made a couple bucks, but not many). The EMIT tweeter is a little hot for me, but I'm a New England Sound type guy anyway. I thought it was odd that a speaker that small would be a three-way with 8" woof. Then I realized there was no way that EMIT was going to go down far enough to overlap successfully with the upper range of the woofer. That's where the mid comes in. I don't think $65 for those would be excessive if they are in nice shape, and there isn't too much difference between a 6 and 6B.

Urizen
08-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Go for it...and welcome aboard! :thmbsp:

Kenny Brant
08-15-2005, 09:35 PM
I would gladly pay $30 for a set of RS-6B's, and I think $65 is not out of line at all for the RS-6. They may need to be re-surrounded if the foam is bad. I have a pair of RS-6B's that were given to me and they needed new surrounds. After I re-foamed them I played them and was not too happy with them until I found the right amp combination. I don't think the tweeter is too bright at all, and that they sound nice. And I am no stranger to new england sound as I have a pair of original large Advents with masonite woofers, a pair of KLH 23's (which I like a lot), a pair of Boston A-200's and A-70 II's, listened to and liked the AR-3A's and AR-9's, and I still don't think the RS-6B's are too bright. If you go over to the vintage speaker site one of the guys that has a set of AR-3A's I think it is, or a AR-3, he put a EMIT tweeter in them and he likes them a lot. The cabinets are oak and nice. You will need quite a bit of power to wake them up.

Kenny

Toasted Almond
08-15-2005, 09:45 PM
These surrounds were fine, and they would've cost you $40/pair. The guy that walked out of here yesterday with a SAE R-9, 90wpc receiver, and the pair of RS-6B's for a grand total of 100 U.S. dollars is a real good friend and repeat customer. For helping me get a little breathing room around here he also got a Pioneer PL-530 as a door prize. He could've had two Sansui SC-3110 cassette decks too, but he is off the tape wagon now.

Kenny Brant
08-15-2005, 10:38 PM
:scratch2: I guess I just don't understand your cold feelings to them, I know there are better speakers then these, but there are far far worst ones also. I thought they sounded really nice with the right equipment driving them. They have nice highs, good mids and good lows. I think you said in another thread that you thought they sounded a little recessed, I think it was you, may not of been. I think that is why I can listen to them for hours without wanting to turn them off.

Kenny

packrat
08-16-2005, 12:11 PM
I have a pair of the RS-7 - looks like they use the same woofer and EMIT tweeter but with a cone midrange. I think anything under $100 for a pair like these is a good buy. It cost me $45 to get the surrounds redone on mine, but it was worth it.

Toasted Almond
08-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Kenny, I would never say the sound of EMIT tweeters was recessed, so you probably have somebody elses comments in mind. Agreed there are far worst speakers. I didn't feel the RS-6B was a bad sounding speaker, just a little hot on the top end for me. My ears are really shot up there, so I can't help but think if they sound hot to me............

The fact that I sold them for so little is also no indicator of my feelings toward the speaker. That same individual walked out of here a few months ago with a perfectly operational pair of RS-III loudspeakers, for free. I got them for free, and so did my buddy Kevin. Again, not my cup of tea in a loudspeaker. Before you call me insane, I have had a pair of Carver Amazing Platinum Mk.IV's in my main stereo rig since 1991, and my half-assed two channel home theater system in another part of the house is built around vintage AR-9's. I already have big, accurate loudspeakers wherever I want to hear them.

onepixel
08-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all the helpful info. Someone else beat me to them. This place is cool!

Inspiribomb
08-16-2005, 08:19 PM
This place is cool!

You're damn right it is :thmbsp:

Kenny Brant
08-16-2005, 09:11 PM
That was Atlee1080 that said they were a little flat, sorry Toasted Almond. Yes, both the AR-9's and the Carver Amazing Platinum MKIV's are some kicking good speakers, especially the Carvers.