View Full Version : Polk Monitor 5JR -- good speakers?

akahn
08-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I've noticed that there are some fans of the Polk Monitor series here, but mostly the 7 model. Is the 5JR model also a good performer? I have the opportunity to buy one in near-new shape for $80 locally. This seems like a good deal to me, but I don't know much about these speakers. How would you describe these speakers? How might they compare to original Advents or Avid 102s (the only speakers I have extensive experience with)?

Thanks for any info or advice!

Bigerik
08-22-2005, 12:58 PM
To be honest, I like them all. If I remember correctly, there were 2 Five jrs: One had only the woofer and tweeter. The other had a small passive radiator, much like the regular Five. Looks just like it had 2 woofers. Any idea which one you are looking at?
While the 7 is the one that pretty well established Polk, the others make nice music too. While not what some would call a "high end" speaker (in that they are not super detailed, nor do they image incredibly), they are a very nice sounding speaker to listen to. You can just sit for hours and enjoy music. Not a terrible thing, in my opinion....
Oh, and for $80 you can't go wrong.
Erik

PS when you get them, let us know your thoughts.

akahn
08-22-2005, 12:59 PM
One more thing: is it going to be an issue that these are rated at 4 ohms? Is that going to be too much to handle for my Yamaha CR-640?

akahn
08-22-2005, 01:06 PM
To be honest, I like them all. If I remember correctly, there were 2 Five jrs: One had only the woofer and tweeter. The other had a small passive radiator, much like the regular Five. Looks just like it had 2 woofers. Any idea which one you are looking at?
While the 7 is the one that pretty well established Polk, the others make nice music too. While not what some would call a "high end" speaker (in that they are not super detailed, nor do they image incredibly), they are a very nice sounding speaker to listen to. You can just sit for hours and enjoy music. Not a terrible thing, in my opinion....
Oh, and for $80 you can't go wrong.
Erik

PS when you get them, let us know your thoughts.
Thanks for that info, erik. I'm not sure which 5 this one is, but I sent the seller this link (http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/monitor5jr/) and she said that these were the ones, so I guess these are the ones with the radiator.

mhardy6647
08-22-2005, 01:10 PM
The Monitor 5jr's will have the 1970's Polk "house sound"... based on the classic British (mini) monitors, warm and detailed. Very nice, especially if they have the Peerless silk dome tweeter. Have you heard 7's or 10's? If so, then you pretty much know what you are getting in the 5's/5jr's.

I don't think the Yamaha'll have any trouble with 4-ohms (Yamaha quoted 4 and 8 ohm FTC power specs for the CR-x20 series, as I recall). The only 'problem' you'll have is that you really shouldn't run A+B if one system is 4 ohm (A OR B, of course, would be fine).

EDIT: Oops, you have a CR-640... I am not sure about the ratings on those. Rob or someone else'll know, though.

Must be almost time for 'back to school', eh?

akahn
08-22-2005, 01:17 PM
I haven't heard any Polk speakers at all, let alone this series. I'm looking forward to hearing the "house sound" that this family has. Good to hear my receiver will be able to power these speakers.

I'll be sure to share my findings once I've listened to these speakers.

akahn
08-22-2005, 01:19 PM
My mistake, mrh, I do actually have a CR-620.

Bigerik
08-22-2005, 01:20 PM
I thought the 5jr's came out in the post-Peerless era.
Interestingly enough, I always thought they sounded too warm and gave up a little detail compared to the typical British monitor sound, On the other hand, thats what made them so easy to listen to.
4 ohms, huh? That surprises me. I thought they were all 6-8 or something. Must be old age catching up to me. I wouldn't worry about it much tho. You should be ok.
Oh, and if those are the ones shown, they would be the later ones. The real early jr's just had a port where the PR is below the woofer.

Erik

The Monitor 5jr's will have the 1970's Polk "house sound"... based on the classic British (mini) monitors, warm and detailed. Very nice, especially if they have the Peerless silk dome tweeter. Have you heard 7's or 10's? If so, then you pretty much know what you are getting in the 5's/5jr's.

I don't think the Yamaha'll have any trouble with 4-ohms (Yamaha quoted 4 and 8 ohm FTC power specs for the CR-x20 series, as I recall). The only 'problem' you'll have is that you really shouldn't run A+B if one system is 4 ohm (A OR B, of course, would be fine).

EDIT: Oops, you have a CR-640... I am not sure about the ratings on those. Rob or someone else'll know, though.

Must be almost time for 'back to school', eh?

akahn
08-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Bigerik, I think I offered faulty information. According to the Polk site, these are 8 ohm speakers. The 4 ohm info came from a scanned flyer I saw somewhere... Odd, but I guess I don't have to worry about it.

mhardy6647
08-22-2005, 02:58 PM
I bought my Monitor 7A's in 1978, and the plan is to keep them for life.
The original Polk Monitor series (not counting the original Polk model 9) were mighty fine speakers at a then-bargain price. They sell on eBAY for about what they cost new in the late 1970's.

www.polkaudio.com has some pretty good forums, BTW.

B3Nut
08-22-2005, 04:35 PM
I have a set of 5Jr's that have the Silver Coil Dome tweeter, and that tweeter is BRIGHT. Many Polkies order a new replacement from Polk and dustbin the Silver Coils. Not bad otherwise, though I like my Monitor 4 Series 2's better. Series 2 5Jr's would have a better tweeter than the Silver Coil Domes, $80 would be a good price if that's the case.

Todd in Beerbratistan

cubdog
08-22-2005, 06:33 PM
Buy them, you will like them. :thmbsp:

cubdog

Toasted Almond
08-22-2005, 07:29 PM
They are very nice speakers. If you have extensive experience with the ORIGINAL Advent Loudspeaker, you have extensive experience with a speaker that could produce a LOT of low frequency information. I wouldn't expect TOO much from the Polk's in that context. The Polk's also might not have as laid back a top end as the Advents either. Any chance you can go listen before buying?

2DualsNotEnough
08-22-2005, 08:09 PM
I had a pair of Monitor 5's,and I really liked them,although to my ears they seemed...I dunno,ponderous?Not really detailed,I guess Im trying to say,but very,very pleasant speakers.You could do a LOT worse. :yes:
Jimmy

akahn
08-22-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm listening to the Talking Heads "Speaking in Tongues" on these speakers at the moment and I'm quite pleased with the sound. Indeed, I do find these speakers to be more detailed than my Advents. (And the Talking Heads are a good group to evaluate with thanks to the wide variety of instruments/synths they use.) Not as big a sound as the Advents but certainly clearer.

As far as the tweeter being bright, I'm not having a problem, so far at least. However, I've suspected for a while that my Advents had problems with the tweeter or crossover or something that made the tweeter sound harsh, so maybe I'm used to brightness. I guess harshness is different from brightness, though. I'll look into the tweeter thing and if the cost isn't crazy, maybe I'll upgrade. To start me off though, what is the model number of the improved tweeter and where can I buy it?

And as far as these speakers being good to show off in the dorms (;)) these aren't as impressive in size as my Advents, but they sure are in much better shape. And then there's this beautiful oak vinyl veneer (sarcasm). And impressive sound is more important to me.

I wonder if the stands that JozMo was offering me would be too short for these. If anyone wants to recommend a set of cheap stands that are appropriate for the footprint of these speakers, go ahead. For some reason I thought they would be bigger... not sure why.

Toasted Almond
08-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Get yourself a pair of stands that places the tweeter at your ear level when you are seated in your listening chair. This is basically 33-36" heightwise (the height above the ground of the AVERAGE human being's ears).

akahn
08-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks for that guideline, TA. I've seen that advised here before -- I was just wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations or brands, etc.

One thing I forgot to mention: I'm very much looking forward to re-evaluating all my equipment with my Sansui 9090 I'm getting from the repair shop on Wednesday. :banana:

F1nut
08-23-2005, 12:46 AM
If your Polk's have the SL2000 tweeters in them, you want to order the RD0194-1 from Polk. Tell them you are a Club Polk member and you'll get the discounted price plus free shipping. If they have the all black Peerless, then leave them alone. The SL2000 has a 5dB spike between 12kHz and 13kHz which makes them bright/harsh. The new silk dome replacement takes care of that and also provides much better detail. The Monitor and SDA series love high current power, you won't hear what they can do without it.