View Full Version : Realistic Nova 6: worth $14?

savv
10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Found them at a TS but passed on them. not knowing if they are good. I ran a search here but have not found anything on the 6 model.
Anyone have opinions about them? Do they have cloth or foam surrounds? I could not pry off the grills with my bare hands.

Charivari
10-06-2005, 05:55 PM
There's some to be found on Google about these speaks, including this bit from an old ad:
8" woofer
3" Tweeter
Tuned port for a powerful bass.
Rated at 60 watts.
Measure 19" x 11" x 10"

Most likely have foam surrounds and aren't the greatest of speakers. Might still be worth the $14, though, if you don't mind the added clutter. Btw, the lattice grills tend to be held on by four small, brown screws -- one in each corner.

- JP

Nick_the_'Nole
10-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Definitely worth the $14 plus a few more bucks for foam. I have the Nova-4's, which are a step below the 6's and almost identical, and they have very nice clear treble and pleasant bass, though they don't extend extremely low. I know no actual specs on 'em, just going by listening tests. They are about 88 or 89db efficient, I'd guess, and they do pretty well for low level listening but also like to be cranked. I'd recommend a little extra dampening inside the cabinets and definitely replace the cap in the crossover, it'll make a world of difference.

kfa888
10-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Btw, the lattice grills tend to be held on by four small, brown screws -- one in each corner.

- JP

Clearly seen at the top in the photo you attached. :thmbsp:

Kencat
10-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Here's a few pics of mine with the grill off.

No port though....acoustic suspended all the way.

Part number 40-4019A. Three way HF tuning switch at the back. RCA plug or screw on terminals. Seem to be well built. Nice wood veneer.

Woofer has coated foam reverse roll...mine in excellent shape. Woofer cone is 5-3/4" in an 8-1/2 " basket. Tweeter cone is 2" in a 4" dia basket. 11" W x 9-1/2" Dp x 19-1/4" H.

I haven't really tested these in a proper setting to get a feel for the sound. They are a small speaker, and would be suited to a smaller room set into the corners I think. They look like a very well built durable speaker though, as mine are in great shape. If they are as bulletproof as my Optimus 5B's they'll last forever.

Came across this info on a forum diyAudio :

"The Nova-6 (cool name) are 2 way, sealed, 8 inch woofer, the foam surrounds of the drivers are inverted. The tweeter has its own plastic cup arround it, about 2 inches in diameter and 4 deep.
Woofer
2017 8 ohms
40Hz-3KHz
nominal 15w
music 30w
LoEff Japan

Tweeter
0735 8ohms
300Hz-18KHz (yes i typed that right)
nominal 5w
music 10w max
Japan"

Now you've got me curious. Think I'll hook em up and give a whirl. Stay tuned. :D

Charivari, I did come across another Nova 6 by another maker, it was a ported design.

Kencat
10-06-2005, 08:44 PM
BTW, I tossed those little screws and bought some Velcro :thmbsp:

kfa888
10-06-2005, 08:46 PM
man, those are clean Ken!

yungin's-dad
10-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Not too sure about the Nova's, but I am impressed with the Optimus 1 and 5B's, very warm, smooth, and deep. You should jump on them for 14 bucks, why not?

Ron

Kencat
10-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Hey Guys, these could be little sleepers here. I've got a bit of work to do on them yet, and I'll explain why.

I remember when I first got them, I was not impressed because they lacked bass and didn't seem to image at all. I chalked it up to being a small crappy speaker, and put one into service as a center channel on the HT setup. I had given up on them until tonight, reading this post.

I pulled the AR2's down (going to rip em apart to clean pots etc.) and hooked up the little Novas. Same impression....so,so, not much bass, seemed a bit harsh on the mid range....and NO imaging...the sound was all out beyond the speakers, with nothing in the middle :scratch2: Now I'm starting to suspect an out of phase condition, cause it's just not right.

I put on the test tones I have downloaded, two of which are pink noise...one mono and one called "pinkoutofphase". You're all figuring at this point what happened right? Yup, the out of phase pink noise imaged in the middle, and the mono was everywhere but.

Swapping the wires on one of the speakers has transformed the sound. These are freakin nice speakers. They are about 17" from the back wall, 2 ft from the sidewall, 7 ft apart and at a pretty good height sitting on top of the Mach 2s. The bass on Metallica Black album surprises me. The sound fills my living room no problem. They are more efficient than the AR2s, but then probably most speakers are huh? Not quite as eff. as the Mach 2s. They do a nice job on Sarah Brightman, with a bit of sibalence showing though. The highs quite decent, not harsh or bright,fairly well balanced actually to the rest of the range. More treble than the AR2s. The imaging is still not quite right, although the bass is centered now. Suspect a mixup yet in the tweeters phasing.

Cloth surrounds on the tweeters getting bare though, need some doping compound.

I've got to get into the boxes and figure out the correct phasing of all the drivers. These could be a nice listening set of speakers in a smaller room, tucked into a corner. If I get them sorted out soon and this thread is still sort of alive I'll report back.

For anyone looking to set up a bedroom or den though, I would not discount these without trying them out, especially for 14 $. Would definitely be nice surrounds in a HT tucked up into the back corners.

MarkAnderson
10-07-2005, 11:47 AM
I've noticed that many of the old RS woofers used a unique foam surround that is, apparently, not prone to rot. Not the usual gray foam, but a black foam that has sort of a smooth skin. It's been years since I heard a pair of these, but I remember them sounding pretty good. As I recall, the cabs are pretty well constructed, too. I'd give $14 for a pair, but I'm a junky. - Mark

savv
10-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Went back for them and they will still there :) Removed the grills. They use rubber surrounds on mine. Hooked them up to my garage system. (Sansui 210 - 15wpc& Yamaha CD-2 player) So far they sound ok. Will hook them up to my main system later for some serious listening later and post my impressions later.

Kencat
10-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Went back for them and they will still there :) Removed the grills. They use rubber surrounds on mine. Hooked them up to my garage system. (Sansui 210 - 15wpc& Yamaha CD-2 player) So far they sound ok. Will hook them up to my main system later for some serious listening later and post my impressions later.

Rubber surrounds eh ? mine are like Mark said...black coated foam, at least it feels like foam in consistency. My Optimus 5Bs have the same black coated material.

The woofer surround roll is inverted, is yours as well ? Why do say they are rubber?

PICS ????

Hope you get 14$ worth Savv, waiting for your review :D

Kencat
10-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Popped the woofers out. One of them was wired wrong. Splanes the poor imaging :cry: BUT at least now I'll have them right. will be interesting to try out again. Have to buy some rope caulk before I can button them up though.

Here's some pics of the woof and tweeter and box and crossover, Stuffing removed for pics.

Kencat
10-07-2005, 11:16 PM
A few more pics of opened up box.

Grayhouse
10-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Those look practicaly showroom fresh there, Ken. Interesting carrage set up there for the XO. It almost looks like the back of a trans radio or something :scratch2:

BTW: you ever get those woogs on your Mach's refoamed?

Kencat
10-08-2005, 08:13 AM
BTW: you ever get those woogs on your Mach's refoamed?

Nope. That'll be another day after the AR2 project and getting the Nova6s back together air tight. I actually haven't haven't had this 2nd set of Mach2s hooked up at all lately. I just put the biradial horn tweeters into them last night and I'm going to take them over to a buddies place today to let him try them out for awhile. We'll be doing a bit of a comparo against his Missions. :D I've got the foams in this set "repaired" with nail polish and they seem to sound ok. Looks pretty ugly :sigh: Will have to to replace them eventually though. That may be soon as we'll be hooking them up to a 1xx WPC Nikko today....and he's got a big open basement. Should be interesting. I'm bringing Metallica. :lmao:

savv
10-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Kencat,

I stand corrected. The woofer surrounds are indeed made of foam and are inverted. I thought they looked like rubber surrounds similar to my Advent 3s. :no:

I hooked it up to my bedroom system (Marantz 2230 & TEAC cd player) and I like what I hear - I would describe them as more detailed. They are quite different from the East Coast speakers like AR, Advent & EPI. They are my first Made in Japan speakers. I'm glad I took a chance at them. :D

Kencat
10-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Kencat,

I stand corrected. The woofer surrounds are indeed made of foam and are inverted. I thought they looked like rubber surrounds similar to my Advent 3s. :no:

I hooked it up to my bedroom system (Marantz 2230 & TEAC cd player) and I like what I hear - I would describe them as more detailed. They are quite different from the East Coast speakers like AR, Advent & EPI. They are my first Made in Japan speakers. I'm glad I took a chance at them. :D

Glad they have some merit Savv. I don't mind listening to mine, now that the wiring is fixed and they actually image quite nicely. They won't become a primary system, but certainly work well in a smaller "nearfield" environment I think.

As far as Japanese speakers go, don't overlook the Pioneer HPM series of speakers. I am so impressed by my HPM-60's....they are the system of choice for me right now.

colortrakker
12-09-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm just getting to know a pair of these Nova-6s myself. I wasn't sure how good they were, so I had some reservations. But I found out everything at the thrift was half price the other day, so I figured it'd be hard to go wrong with a $3.50 pair of speakers. After a little nudging from a friend, I bought 'em. And it turns out I figured right. They're now in the bedroom as replacements for a pair of smaller, newer, more beaten up Realistics I paid $1 for.

Apols. for pic size, by the way -

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1waks/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nova6-grillson.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1waks/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nova6-nogrills.jpg

gyusher
12-09-2005, 07:56 PM
I have 2 pair. . .One are Nova 4s and the other is Nova 5. . . Both are the same speaker. 8in 2 way with the foam long gone. I put my 8in DLK drivers in the RS boxes and WOW! I listen to them every day in my HT setup. Rears and rear surrounds. I still have the original woofers but they need refoamed. . .

Just picked up a sweet pair of MCS 8in 2ways for 1.61 so I put 2 of my DLK drivers in them so I have an unused pair now although no woofers.

I have 1 Nova 5 (better binding posts and a different lattice grill) as a center with a DLK woofer and a Polydax tweeter and new crossover. Does great. . .

Kencat
12-09-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm just getting to know a pair of these Nova-6s myself. I wasn't sure how good they were, so I had some reservations. But I found out everything at the thrift was half price the other day, so I figured it'd be hard to go wrong with a $3.50 pair of speakers. After a little nudging from a friend, I bought 'em. And it turns out I figured right. They're now in the bedroom as replacements for a pair of smaller, newer, more beaten up Realistics I paid $1 for.
[/IMG]

:scratch2: 1/2 price at a thrift......sounds like an oxymoron :D

Nice clean looking set of Nova 6's there colortrakker, can't go wrong for 3.50 $ eh?