SACD recommendations

Doing my first listen of the new Patrica Barber - Cafe Blue unmastered. As far as comparing to the earlier SACD, overall I think it may not be as impressive sounding. By that I don't mean it does not sound good, in fact, in many ways, I like it better. It's just that it does not force my speakers to do dramatic things at the level the earlier one does. The new SACD may actually have more dynamic range than the other but only because the quieter parts are more quiet? It has a little less emphasis to the higher volume portions of the tracks. The earlier SACD really takes these elements over the top. I think this newer unmastered SACD is more natural sounding and possibly more raw with some improved acoustical qualities. If you want an SACD to show off the performance of your system, I don't think you can beat the earlier SACD. If you want to hear some musicians perform in the studio, the newer one does it exceptionally well. Sort of like unplugged so to speak. I love this album and this disc is well worth owning!

Yamaha CD-S2000 > Modwright LS 36.5 DM > Modwright KWA 150 SE > Soliloquy 6.5

Last edited:
I bought MoFi's Chicago Transit Authority (Chicago's debut album) SACD a while back, and played it for the first time tonight. It's really good.

CMFSA2134.jpg

This one was a nice surprise. The sound quality is just impeccable. I wouldn't change a thing. It's that good. (IMHO of course)

DSCN9403.JPG DSCN9404.JPG

This is good--just picked it up last week. Don't know about availability though...

Attachments

• cannonball.JPG
    cannonball.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 41
Here's another new SACD. Pierre Fournier's Bach's Cello Suites. My pick next to my sentimental favorite version by Casals. It's a Japanese SACD and is available on Amazon I believe.zaP2_G8227077W.JPG

This Rachel Podger double SACD of Biber's Rosary Sonatas on Channel Classics is a great recording of period instruments. Podger Rosary Sonatas Biber.JPG

Last edited:
Here's another new SACD. Pierre Fournier's Bach's Cello Suites. My pick next to my sentimental favorite version by Casals. It's a Japanese SACD and is available on Amazon I believe.View attachment 746252
I may have to hunt this one down. I really dig the cello. I'm a former double bass player (wasn't talented enough for the cello). Gary Karr et al. notwithstanding, the bass really isn't a solo instrument.

I may have to hunt this one down. I really dig the cello. I'm a former double bass player (wasn't talented enough for the cello). Gary Karr et al. notwithstanding, the bass really isn't a solo instrument.
Beware, though, the Fournier put me back about 6,500 yen here in Tokyo, so that means you'll likely have to fork out about 80 bucks elsewhere (at least it's a double SACD set).

CD JAPAN HAS SOME INTERESTING RE-ISSUES...

Including Supertramp - Breakfast In America and some Steely Dan albums. Scheduled to ship in late August.

I have gone through the firs 9 pages of this great thread and made a list of all the recommended SACDs that I don't have and might like. I got a little gun shy after a few of my purchases disappointed. ( Marshall Crenshaw and Hall & Oates, both fine but sounded like red book)
Some I haven't seen listed:
Jeff Buckley - Grace Best version of Hallelujah ever!
Harry Belafonte - Belafonte sings the blues
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Rickie Lee Jones - Sermon on Exposition Boulevard. It's weird; but it's very clean and well resolved.

And for those who can play HDCD I got these two at redbook prices and didn't knotice the HDHD tracks until I got a universal player.
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia
Joni Mitchell - Blue

I'll continue my to buy list soon. Keep posting!

Back
Top Bottom