I continue to collect Vintage CD Players: Sony CDP 302

kydog

Saw it sitting with a $9.99 sticker price at Goodwill and pulled out my phone to look up the info. This player went for big money in 1986 all metal with a stout aluminum tray that's smooth as silk.
The cd is pulled in and then dropped down into the mechanism with a nice green background light seen through the window over the tray. Hard to believe the cosmetics and functionality is still top notch.
The sound? Playing through my Adcom GTF 400 preamp/GFA 5500 power amp tied to some ADS 880/2 speakers I'm impressed to say the least. It's one heavy player with nice specs from what I've read in the vintage knob. Love these oldies but goodies Vintage CD Players

Attachments

• IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 398
I've got a CDP-200 from 1984. Like yours, heavy-duty stuff.

It has a little problem playing a few discs. But, all in all, not one that I want to to get rid of any time soon.

Sony CDP-200 08 small.jpg

I used to have a 302ES that I couldn't really get going, plus the display was out. People who haven't seen one of these in person would probably be surprised at the build quality.

Sony builds some nice CD Players...

Keep collecting them, People like us will keep buying them. :)

Great find!

I used to have a 302ES that I couldn't really get going, plus the display was out. People who haven't seen one of these in person would probably be surprised at the build quality.

It weighs a ton! On the order of a pre/amp. All metal construction. The 302 & the 302 ES is exactly the same.
I was surprised to find it in such nice condition cosmetically. Because of the mechanism that loads the cd, the player must lay flat or it will not track.

Sony builds some nice CD Players...

Keep collecting them, People like us will keep buying them. :)

Great find!

Thanks! This player cost $550 new in 1985 wow. That's a lot of money even by today's standards.The info on the DAC & mechanism :
SONY CDP-302ES
CX20152 - CX23034
Sony BU-1

Last edited:
Thanks! This player cost $550 new in 1985 wow. That's a lot of money even by today's standards.

Yea most folks who get into CD don't realize that the player makes a big difference. I recently picked up my Denon DVD-5900, and it has opened a whole new world in CD Audio to me. I was looking for an SACD player, and my only other options that I would consider was a Sony. I've never been a fan of their speakers or amps for that matter, but their CD players and hand held devices were built to last.

Congrats!

Kind Regards,
John

Just scored this heavy beast Saturday at my local Salvation Army, 1986 Sony CDP-520ES II..
Works as good as it looks.
I could listen to this alone with headphones minus any preamp.
Rather smooth sounding with good bass response.
Collecting CD decks is addicting to say the least, but I keep myself to the more higher end stuff and pass on the ear shattering Banshee screaming lower models.
CDP1_zpsufk7bgap.jpg

CDP2_zps20b3jp9b.jpg

CDP5_zpsvt1bzxn4.jpg

Last edited:
Just scored this heavy beast Saturday at my local Salvation Army, 1986 Sony CDP-520ES II..
Collecting CD decks is addicting to say the least, but I keep myself to the more higher end stuff and pass on the ear shattering Banshee screaming lower models.
CDP1_zpsufk7bgap.jpg

CDP2_zps20b3jp9b.jpg

CDP5_zpsvt1bzxn4.jpg

Sweet looking deck ! I bet it sounds good here's the info on the DAC & mechanism in that player. It matches exactly to my CDP-302 even in the looks department? I picked up the original remote from EBay
SONY CDP-520ES
CX20152 - CX23034
Sony BU-1

Last edited:
CDP1_zpsufk7bgap.jpg

CDP2_zps20b3jp9b.jpg

CDP5_zpsvt1bzxn4.jpg
Very nice! How did you connect it? RCA's or digital. I just purchased the 620 ES II and plan on trying it both ways thru a modern AVR. Also, Is that drawer plastic or metal? Thanks
Robert

Sony made some amazing products, back in the day. I have four of their ES series CD players (X55 and two X7, and a 5 disc player). All have the lovely "rosewood" side panels, and are incredibly heavy and well built. Unfortunately, Sony stopped supplying replacement lasers decades ago, and one of the X7s is clearly on its last legs (it rarely can make it through a complete CD without skipping and stopping), as well the front display is getting dimmer and dimmer. I've had it serviced twice, but there's nothing they can do, they say. When the laser goes, your favourite CD player just became a door stop. Fortunately, the X55 (my daily) and the other X7 are working perfectly, as is the changer. When you compare the 1980s-mid 1990s Sony product to today's junk, it gives you a clear illustration just how far regular consumer audio has fallen. Of course, the ES models were enormously expensive then (and still are), some models command over $1000 USD on the used market.

I have a 302II been using it for probloly 20yrs. Some one was junking it. The only problem is the drawer ocasinally sticks.I'm going to take it apart clean and lube it up I too am impressed with the sound nice ,warm and clean. enjoy yours

Confirm the great quality of these CD players. I am a Sony engineer and I have a CDP302ES since 1986 (30 years old). By technical I had access to confidential technical publications of Sony and I have replaced, over the years, the chip CX23035 (signal processor) with the most modern CXD1125Q, (pin to pin perfectly compatible), which is equipped with digital output (pin 27- DOTX) and plugged two PCM56P-K instead of the CX20152 DAC, being unique for the two channels (UNI linear converter), working alternately causes a technically annoying delay of approximately 5.67 microseconds between the left channel and the right channel, eliminated by the two DACs separated. Its operation is still impeccable and the sound is at the highest levels of quality. Tried instrumentally far it exceeds the linearity and intermodulation distortion (CBS CD-1 TEST DISC track 13) of the current bitstream readers. The sound of PCM56P is recognized as excellent.

Last edited:
. . . a Sony. I've never been a fan of their speakers or amps for that matter, but their CD players and hand held devices were built to last. . .

I tend to pass on most Sony audio gear even though I know they are perfectly capable of making great stuff if they want.

There are so many mediocre or downright crappy Sony speakers out there that I was really surprised when I picked up my SS-K90ED speakers last year.

Now when I find a Sony stereo I give it a serious look before making a decision.

Back
Top Bottom