Yamaha NS-2000 1st Impressions

elrod

I've been using a pair of NS-1000s for the past four years and they sounded great. But I had that itch that I just couldn't scratch, reading all the rave reviews of the NS-2000s. Watching for NS-2000 to come up for sale can be a lesson in futility, so I decided to use Hi-Fi Do in Japan. They were actually priced pretty reasonable, but it's just the #@*!# shipping cost that really makes you pause. I'm not a young man and didn't know how much older I was willing to get, so I bit the bullet and went for it.

Hi-Fi Do's packing was fantastic and they arrived in four days once shipped. I've enclosed some pics so you can see how well they pack. Also took some pics of the 2000s next to the 1000s for reference, as I was trying to find a picture of that earlier but had no luck

I run 10 gauge zip cord and that does fit in the OEM binding post. Listening to them, all I can saw is "wow"! They take listening to an entirely different level. Trying to avoid the hyperbole, the separation, soundstage and drivers just seem to be so much improved, and these elements just seem to melt together into realism. Everything just seems to be so much more alive. I can't sense any real coloration at all - they just sound pure.

The best part of this is, that with the 2000s, I'm completely satisfied with my system (see my signature) The only upgrade I may contemplate is a DAC running the ESS ES9038PRO SABRE DAC chipset when they become more readily available.

If anyone was contemplating getting the NS-2000's all I can say is do it. The audio bliss will last long after the sting of purchasing them wears off

DSCN1201.JPG DSCN1205.JPG DSCN1206.JPG DSCN1210.JPG DSCN1211.JPG DSCN1212.JPG DSCN1213.JPG DSCN1217.JPG DSCN1228.JPG DSCN1226.JPG

very nice pickup, would love to hear them.

also can't help but notice the striking resemblance to the onkyo scepter 5001, very cool

I've been using a pair of NS-1000s for the past four years and they sounded great. But I had that itch that I just couldn't scratch, reading all the rave reviews of the NS-2000s. Watching for NS-2000 to come up for sale can be a lesson in futility, so I decided to use Hi-Fi Do in Japan. They were actually priced pretty reasonable, but it's just the #@*!# shipping cost that really makes you pause. I'm not a young man and didn't know how much older I was willing to get, so I bit the bullet and went for it.

Hi-Fi Do's packing was fantastic and they arrived in four days once shipped. I've enclosed some pics so you can see how well they pack. Also took some pics of the 2000s next to the 1000s for reference, as I was trying to find a picture of that earlier but had no luck

I run 10 gauge zip cord and that does fit in the OEM binding post. Listening to them, all I can saw is "wow"! They take listening to an entirely different level. Trying to avoid the hyperbole, the separation, soundstage and drivers just seem to be so much improved, and these elements just seem to melt together into realism. Everything just seems to be so much more alive. I can't sense any real coloration at all - they just sound pure.

The best part of this is, that with the 2000s, I'm completely satisfied with my system (see my signature) The only upgrade I may contemplate is a DAC running the ESS ES9038PRO SABRE DAC chipset when they become more readily available.

If anyone was contemplating getting the NS-2000's all I can say is do it. The audio bliss will last long after the sting of purchasing them wears off

View attachment 812201 View attachment 812202 View attachment 812203 View attachment 812205 View attachment 812206 View attachment 812207 View attachment 812208 View attachment 812209 View attachment 812211 View attachment 812213

Nice, really happy for you! How do they sound with the B-1, B-2?
About the ESS Sabre DAC, there is a sub $1k China DAC that has good reviews. Gustard X20. It uses two of those ESS chips. They also have the A20 that uses dual AK4497 chips. I am looking to add one to my system, but not sure which one yet.

very nice pickup, would love to hear them.

also can't help but notice the striking resemblance to the onkyo scepter 5001, very cool
The NS-2000 were such a success that hey have been used as a standard for the design of others such as the Onk Monitor-2001, Diatone Ds-2000, etc. The Onk Secpter 5001, borrowed some design ques from the Yammi, but that is all they have in common...otherwise, the Scepter 5001 is in the league of the NSX-10000 or higher :)

Very nice! Just for laughs, how much was shipping?

I just heard the new NS-5000 at the Taves audio show here in Richmond Hill on Friday.

Awesome speakers, if anyone has $20,000 superfluous dollars. :)

Yamaha speakers are timeless. I just hooked up an old set of NS-690 to my B2 yesterday to test, because they're likely to get sold today. I hadn't listened to the 690s for a few years and was stunned by the sound quality.

Last edited:
Currently listening to them with my EchoWars restored B-2 and boy does it sound good. That 13" carbon fiber woofer makes a huge difference. I'd really be curious if the NS-5000's would be considered a huge step up from the NS-2000's (for 20 grand you'd think it would but, but that diminishing returns thing has to hit somewhere).

They were shipped with FedEx International Economy. This is the service Hi-Fi Do recommends for the least hassle and safe, dependable delivery. Cost of shipping was around $1100 dollars (ouch), but they got here in perfect shape. I'm sure some of that cost is their time in wrapping these up, as it sure wasn't a small task. Stop and think about it though, for shipping 234 lbs half way around the world, I guess that's not too bad, especially since they arrived in perfect condition (that's what I keep telling myself anyway). I don't know anything about customs duties and taxes, but so far I haven't had to pay anything but the initial shipping charges.

My listening space is my office in the basement which is small bedroom size and to be honest, acoustically I'm quite embarrassed by it. There no room treatment and if anyone were to see my space, they would think I'm trying to sabotage the sound. I listen to them near field - speakers are four feet away from me and up against the wall. That being said, they have great soundstage and the separation is phenomenal.

Congratulations! The shipping cost is not unreasonable. I paid $500 to have my Infinity Delta/Gammas shipped from Florida to Oregon, and they didn't require that level of packing as they were shipped on a pallet.

Why are you using your B-2 with them rather than the B-1? As much as I love my B-2(EW), I am amazed at the sound quality of my B-1(VA).

Congrats! Those look fantastic...

I cannot say enough good things about HiFiDo. It is a lot of money to ship big and heavy things halfway around the world, but they do it as well as anyone.

jblnut

I'd really be curious if the NS-5000's would be considered a huge step up from the NS-2000's (for 20 grand you'd think it would but, but that diminishing returns thing has to hit somewhere).

I think diminishing returns kicks in fast in this league.

My NS-1000s have had the Troels Gravesen crossover treatment, so they're not stock. But, comparing what I heard from the NS-5000s to my NS-1000s, I'd say the NS-1000s come pretty close. In the same room, I suspect I would tell the difference just because the NS-5000s are ported and there was slightly different character to the bass that you could easily detect. Beyond that...they sound VERY much alike.

Congratulations! The shipping cost is not unreasonable. I paid $500 to have my Infinity Delta/Gammas shipped from Florida to Oregon, and they didn't require that level of packing as they were shipped on a pallet.

Why are you using your B-2 with them rather than the B-1? As much as I love my B-2(EW), I am amazed at the sound quality of my B-1(VA).

Currently working on getting B-1 sent to (VA) to give it a going over. Playing it safe for now with the EW B-2. Must care for the precious! (V-FETs)

I think diminishing returns kicks in fast in this league.

My NS-1000s have had the Troels Gravesen crossover treatment, so they're not stock. But, comparing what I heard from the NS-5000s to my NS-1000s, I'd say the NS-1000s come pretty close. In the same room, I suspect I would tell the difference just because the NS-5000s are ported and there was slightly different character to the bass that you could easily detect. Beyond that...they sound VERY much alike.

Well that does it - I'm not getting the NS-5000s! I can see where getting up into this range of speakers, that the sound would be very dependent on the audio chain. The guy from Hi-Fi Do told me to try multiple amps for a different sound (he was actually quite emphatic about it). From my experience the preamp make a very noticeable difference also. The CSP3 has a very revealing, clean sound with great soundstage and separation. The 2000s have really show an emphasis in those areas

Well that does it - I'm not getting the NS-5000s! I can see where getting up into this range of speakers, that the sound would be very dependent on the audio chain. The guy from Hi-Fi Do told me to try multiple amps for a different sound (he was actually quite emphatic about it). From my experience the preamp make a very noticeable difference also. The CSP3 has a very revealing, clean sound with great soundstage and separation. The 2000s have really show an emphasis in those areas

You're absolutely right. When you get into such revealing components, every change makes a slightly (and sometimes not so slightly) noticeable difference. I've been chasing the ultimate DAC that I can afford/build/modify for years now. Hey, it's a hobby, but sometimes you just need to grab a beer, relax, and listen. :beerchug:

for 20 grand you'd think it would but, but that diminishing returns thing has to hit somewhere).

you hit the nail on the head! ....It's a boutique product and unless I win the lotto or someone donates to me, I would have to pass.

I notice a lot of talk about the B2 family of amps. But i also notice that yamaha dont rate in thier amp history and its on the 125year jewel list i saw posted here?

I wanna know what i am missing out on, but next to chance of demoing one - has anyone compared a Yamaha VFET with CA1000 and other 70s Yammy amps?

PS: your NS2000 look great.

Back
Top Bottom