The best of Pioneer SX Receivers?

My first Pio was an SX-1010 back in 1975. After 40 years (and a Kenwood and a Technics later), I just got an SX-737. Astounding receiver! I can't find any difference in the sound quality and the 1010. It's like meeting up with a long-lost friend. And, for the first time in 32 years (since I got the Kenwood), I don't have to use an equalizer except for a tiny touch in the midrange because of my room acoustics.

SX-737. Boston A40s, Polk PSW10 sub. Makes me feel 21 again listening to it. :D

I've long been a fan of SX receivers. Probably my favorite of the ones I've heard is the 737 but my choice for MVP is the 850. Good looks, solid build, plenty of power and not crazy big or over priced. I'm still waiting to hear a 1250 though and I long for a 5590. Easily in my top 3 of best looking receivers. Especially with some lights like The Yamahas with the sorta teal color.

The iconic SX-828
The receiver that started it all back in 1973.
I can't believe the FM sounds it still produces after all these years.

Last edited:
Handsome looking beast. Those tuning meters look familiar.
6956743706_14d1994948_b.jpg

The 1980 Pioneer SX-D5000/D7000 receivers.. These two often tend to get overlooked most likely due to their odd looking twin digital displays/design,but they sure sound excellent!

I'll be the one to vouch for the SX 880, which is warm sounding and powerful - I've been very happy!

It does have the wood vinyl instead of real wood, but if you find one for $40 like i did, don't pass it up!

Only one I've got is an SX-820 Very nice, paired to some Celestions

Attachments

• DSC02433.jpg
    DSC02433.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02434.jpg
    DSC02434.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC02435.jpg
    DSC02435.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 64
Wheres a good place to find rebuild and repair or just general info on the pioneers? With the right dac combination Im finding out digital formats sound pretty damn good through sx680 pioneers. It seems to have a certain something that transforms digital files and makes them just so. Of course the dac plays a part but Ive not been quite this happy with other amps with digital formats. So velvety smooth yet not rolled off at all, scores of upper detail with a punchy bottom end...ahhhhh Im going to be late...

Last edited:
I have a really clean working sx-780 I picked up at goodwill for $13. I have an amp to finish building then the 780 gets a recap along with a few transistor updates. I like the black meters. I know these get a bad rap because of the power packs, but this one is going strong. Just goes to show as long as they are treated right they can last a good long time. I was supprised by the phono stage in this little receiver. I didnt expect it to sound as good as it does.

The face and controls on mine is excellent. Biggest flaw is the peeling vinyl crap. But I have laid wood veneer enough times this should be easy. Everything works on mine, I hope I dont invite bad luck there. I like the tuner as well, when tuned in FM stereo sounds very good. At least the stations that still play vinyl and un compressed digital format sound good. And some of them still play actual CDs.

The tuning light, its cool too it adds ambient light in a dim or dark room. The more I listen and look at the mini monster the more I like it right along side modern audio. Thanks for the link.

No expert here, but audiojones gives sound advice.
I love my SX-950.
I could not ask for more in power or sound quality.

I also have a nice refurbished SX-1000TW.
It is sweet.

Can't complain about my 636 either.
What a beauty, and the tuner is outstanding.

The really high-end units like a 1250 require a large commitment in terms of money.
Do they sound better than an upper-mid range unit like and 850 or 950?
Probably a smidge.
But not enough to justify a several-fold increase in purchase price.

I am looking to put together an inexpensive vintage stereo system & am very interested in Pioneer SX Receivers. Does anyone have any advice on which one to look for on eBay?

Thanks, Bill
Hi, I've got a SX-1050 in mint condition and would cut off my leg before I sold it. I bought one on eBay but it was not in great condition and had a funny popping sound from one channel so I sent it back. I then bought another but went to pick it up and throughly tested every knob switch input and output before parting with the cash. The best amp I've ever owned my a mile. Good luck in your search.

Very nice indeed! I'm not a fan of the led light upgrades as I like mine all original, however I have changed the speaker terminal block to accept banana plugs.

I had a 1080 . Currently own a 1250 and 780 . I use my 780 8 hours a day , every day at work . Makes work palatable.

Very nice indeed! I'm not a fan of the led light upgrades as I like mine all original, however I have changed the speaker terminal block to accept banana plugs.

Oh.......but kept the original speaker term block just in case a 1250 in mint condition ever came up for sale!

I have an SX-1080 which is flawless. Out of the 8 or 9 Pioneer receivers in my hoard it is definitely the best looking and sounding IMHO.View attachment 817901
Picture from google.
I acquired a fried 1080 for $100 last year to use for parts, but it looked so good I wound up having it recapped and now it is my all time favorite receiver. I also have an SX-D7000 that is pretty sweet, but can't match the looks of the 1080.

Oh.......but kept the original speaker term block just in case a 1250 in mint condition ever came up for sale!
Hi Mike, you did a fantastic job on those speaker terminals. Did you make the block yourself or did you have it made up for you by a fabricator. I'd love one for my 1050. It is the only thing I'd change about my receiver. Cheers from Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom