What is a good entry level amp for tube amps

rselby

I have had a few SS amps , and always hear how tube amps have a better sound , I have never owned a tube amp , so this why I am looking for some advice on what is a good entry level amp( $ 500 or less ) if there is such a thing , I plan on having it drive my older Klipsch SB-3 book shelf speakers

Are you looking for a power amp or an integrated?
If you have efficient speakers? I know Tom (wharfcreek) had been knocking out DSG SE amps and i've only heard really excellent things about them (the amp in general not necessarily Tom's. He's the only one i know building them to sell, though i think more because he likes to build them)

Are you handy? Good with tools/troubleshooting? How important are looks?
Some ideas:

1. Dynaco ST-70 (I paid $300 for one 15 years ago, no idea what they're worth now but still some originals out there) (safe option)

2. Repurposed push pull 6BQ5 or 6V6 amplifier from old console stereo to get a taste - at least it will have all USA iron and tubes, point to point wiring, etc. (ugly)

3. Pair of 1950s 6V6 mono amps (where I began)...

4. Try and get a used "high end" amp from 80s or 90s. Lots of used amps out there

5. I would avoid buying "made in china" amps, they look pretty but the design is weird sometimes and transformers lack any pedigree. May turn you off tubes entirely.

6. How about a 1960s integrated amp or receiver.. lots of them out there

7. Don't expect high power in this price range.

Not a huge fan--but there are a lot of Chi-Fi tube amps out there that can be had for $500 or less as an entry into the tube foray. Just keep in mind that anything "entry-level" is exactly that, so don't expect a "miracle". One thing to budget in if you go the Chi-Fi route is money for different tubes--especially driver tubes (which have the most impact on sonics).

Hey
You might get your self a subscription here . Lots of entry level tube amps come through here.
Just saying . Eric

Massdrop has APPJ mini2013 for about $100 at the moment, chi-fi or not this is the same amp as the original "miniwatt" amp that got a positive 6moons review some time back. Limited output tube rolling options, but plenty of cheap options for the driver tubes. I just bought one and love it with my Klipsch RB-15, don't let the 3W rating scare you, it's got plenty of power for efficient speakers. I think it is a great entry-level tube amp to be used with efficient bookshelf speakers for the money. Ok people, you can flame me now.

I second the DG-SE1 from Wharfcreek. I sent Tom a Maggie 8600 and he worked his magic on it. He can build them from scratch too. It sounds great with my Klipsch Cornwalls. I also like the Dynakit SCA-35 (17 watts) for an entry level integrated. Another unit that Dave Gillespie has improved.

Massdrop has APPJ mini2013 for about $100 at the moment, chi-fi or not this is the same amp as the original "miniwatt" amp that got a positive 6moons review some time back. Limited output tube rolling options, but plenty of cheap options for the driver tubes. I just bought one and love it with my Klipsch RB-15, don't let the 3W rating scare you, it's got plenty of power for efficient speakers. I think it is a great entry-level tube amp to be used with efficient bookshelf speakers for the money. Ok people, you can flame me now.
I don't believe this is a tube amp , that is , an amp that makes sound from tubes. It weighs 3.7 pounds. I'm not seeing how this thing has a PT and an OPT. I beleive it has tubes and they light up. It must be some kind of chip amp. I'm not saying it doesn't sound good. I never heard one. I don't think its what the OP is seeking IMO:idea:

I don't believe this is a tube amp , that is , an amp that makes sound from tubes. It weighs 3.7 pounds. I'm not seeing how this thing has a PT and an OPT. I beleive it has tubes and they light up. It must be some kind of chip amp.

Believe it or not but It is an honest tube amp with a switched-mode PSU that makes sound from tubes.

419wncpLUeL.jpg

518JLxYNJFL.jpg

I don't think its what the OP is seeking IMO:idea:

That may well be true, but it is for him/her to decide.

Fair enough!
I've never seen anything like it. Regardless, I'm impressed they can cram all that in that package at that weight :thumbsup:

Any interest in a vintage Fisher tube receiver?

Relatively plentiful, affordable, well made with good performance.

Last edited:
Fair enough!
I've never seen anything like it. Regardless, I'm impressed they can cram all that in that package at that weight :thumbsup:

I see a switch mode power supply and little output transformers, it sure looks modern compared to the tube stuff I'm used to!

The most fun way to get into tube amps is, by far, a repurposed Magnavox console amp. 6V6 and EL84 P-P amps are common and cheap. You can get your feet wet, have fun with mods, roll tubes, etc. for lots less than $500, with a willing market to buy it back if you don't like, or want to upgrade. I'd put the Dynaco ST-70 as your #2 tube amp to own, once you know you like them and want to get serious, as it's much more costly to get decent EL34's as it is EL84's. Plus now you have a 5AR4 to consider, a good one runs the best part of $100 for an early 60's Mullard or Amperex. Rarely do the cheap ST-70's come with decent(or any!) tubes. Having bookshelf Klipsch speakers overcomes one of the hard parts of owning a small watt amp, high efficiency. I, also, recommend getting the membership necessary to buy and sell in Barter Town. It's a well spent $25.00!

Good luck!

I picked up a KW-55 on the auction site and had it restored for under $500 total. P-P EL84s turning out somewhere between 20 watts (advertised) and 15 watts per channel (what my tech told me to expect). My speakers are rated at 92db and makes a decent amount of sound for my smallish living room.

Take a look at the Bottlehead SEX 3.0 amp. Fun and easy to build, and great sounding. It is currently on sale for a little less than $500. "Music always sounds better when you build it yourself"

$500 or less definitely puts you strong into the used market, or ChiFi. Even then, your choices are fairly limited.

For new, I've heard good things about the Yaquin MC-84L ... good looker too.

New-EL84-x-4-Class-A-YAQIN-MC-84L-Integrated-Tube-Amplifier.jpg

I have had a few SS amps , and always hear how tube amps have a better sound , I have never owned a tube amp , so this why I am looking for some advice on what is a good entry level amp( $ 500 or less ) if there is such a thing , I plan on having it drive my older Klipsch SB-3 book shelf speakers

Yaqin MC-100B is probably the entry level. Anything with less power will extremely limit choice of speakers or type of acceptably reproduced music.

Back
Top Bottom