What is a good entry level amp for tube amps

It really depends on the speakers you intend to use the amp with. A Yaqin MC10T push/pull will output a little over 50WPC and work fine with your average (87db@1m) speaker. It has plenty of room for improvement with tube rolling, coupling cap and volume pot upgrades which allows it to compete with some far more expensive amps.

WP_20160510_22_31_10_Pro.jpg

If you're running some efficient speakers they're always the Oldchen EL34B SEP amp which outputs 10WPC. Drives my 96.5db@1m Dayton USA PS220-8 speakers very nicely. No need to really upgrade anything in this little amp as components are already of a decent quality. It benefits from tube rolling though. I run all Soviet eta Russian tubes in mine.

IMG_20161015_144018_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
The most fun way to get into tube amps is, by far, a repurposed Magnavox console amp. 6V6 and EL84 P-P amps are common and cheap. You can get your feet wet, have fun with mods, roll tubes, etc. for lots less than $500, with a willing market to buy it back if you don't like, or want to upgrade

Great suggestion

You haven't mentioned if you're looking to build or rebuild something or just buy a working unit. It would help if you'd comment on that.

I'm skeptical of Chinese amps, having read more than a few stories from owners who have had problems and tales of questionable, underspeced, parts. No experience myself though and maybe they've gotten better. But, why bother?

There are plenty of examples of vintage American gear, some of which has already been rebuilt with good quality parts if you're not interested in doing it yourself. Or buy something and pay a competent tech to rebuild it. If you check online auctions and are patient there is no reason you can't find something quite nice for under $500.

As others have mentioned, the Magnavox amps get lots of love and are a good place to start. Here's one that's local to you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnavox-Tube-Amp-/291944656816?hash=item43f941efb0:g:Q98AAOSw4GVYGIjJ
The same seller has two listed for sale. Obviously, they will need to be rebuilt.

Here's another that has already been rebuilt: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNAVOX-88...37637cc&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=182353010449

I have no connection with either of these, just throwing out a couple of examples.

Some suggestions about Dynaco, magnovox amps, etc but he will still need to buy a preamp correct? If so that increases his cost.

I do find some of the firmly held beliefs re chinese amps a little silly.
Having bought a fair amount of chinese built gear, including valve guitar amps that have been run flat out all night , thrown into vans and not allowed to cool properly I have NEVER had one of the buggers fail.
Their current consumer hi fi range seems well made and reliable.
Dont discount them.

Some suggestions about Dynaco, magnovox amps, etc but he will still need to buy a preamp correct? If so that increases his cost.
With a CD as input I've had good results by just adding a stereo 100k pot. Perhaps a preamp would be better but a volume pot works fine.

You guys get off topic so easily LOL.. the last thing a first tube amp newbie needs to do is try to build or modify an ancient one until they do more research and get some experience,

This is a SIMPLE cost-limited issue and as good as most of the Chinese invasion amps are they are best choice for the money brand new. Most of them are easily upgraded/modified too.

Youve got to good Chinese for $500usd and below.

Haha, yup. Aiqin = Oldchen. They're also available as rebrands by Gemtune and Nobsound although they seem to have worse quality control than the Aiqin/Oldchen branded units

I do find some of the firmly held beliefs re chinese amps a little silly.
Having bought a fair amount of chinese built gear, including valve guitar amps that have been run flat out all night , thrown into vans and not allowed to cool properly I have NEVER had one of the buggers fail.
Their current consumer hi fi range seems well made and reliable.
Dont discount them.

Quite right. All of my electronics are Chinese these days. I only look elsewhere for quality speakers and turntables as the Chinese have some great copies of older western circuits at great prices. It's the only way I can afford the sound quality I do. I've 8x bits of gear and never a hiccup. The valve gear all benefits from internal upgrades though they sound great without as well.

Little bear P5

Nice little pre / buffer

Check out the Xiang Sheng DAC-01A as well. Flip some internal switches and it becomes a reasonable preamp as well, with 1x USB, 1x coax, 1x fibre and 2x RCA inputs. The easiest and cheapest upgrade on that is to replace the Chinese tube with a GE 5 star ;)

You guys get off topic so easily LOL.. the last thing a first tube amp newbie needs to do is try to build or modify an ancient one until they do more research and get some experience,

This is a SIMPLE cost-limited issue and as good as most of the Chinese invasion amps are they are best choice for the money brand new. Most of them are easily upgraded/modified too.

I think the most pertinent question is which speakers does he want to drive. That will help determine the amp choice. ;)

Their QC has got better.
The motorcycle in my profile pic has chinese brake discs and a chinese steering damper.
No issues with it slowing me from 160mph to 50mph in a very short distance on track,.
Its BS to suggest all chinese stuff is rubbish.
The bodywork in the pic is also chinese......or it was until I crashed the bugger, but that was the fault of the pilot , not the chinese parts

With high efficiency speakers and a $500 budget it would be difficult to do better than the already recommended Miniwatt/APPJ amp.

With your speakers you don't need power you need resolution and nothing resolves detail like a SET amp. Unlike the push pull amps recommended in this thread SET amps do not employ negative feedback and run in class A.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/miniwatt/miniwatt_2.html

P6030026.jpg

Last edited:
The VTA ST-70 comes with a passive attenuator option for around $50 or so. I've tried it with my VTA and it works just fine. Since most of today's sources have an output of around 2v you really don't need a preamp anymore. Only if you have impedance issues and need multiple input selections.

For the cost of the VTA that is not just a starter amp but a finisher amp. I built it and I would consider this the best tube amp I've heard now that I fitted it with Gold Lion KT-88 output tubes and EH 12BH7 driver tubes. I really can't see much else touching it. ESPECIALLY anything solid state and that's not just me being a tube snob.

If you have efficient speakers, check out the Musical Paradise MP301-MK3. I paid extra for Gold Lion KT77 and vintage RCA 6SJ7 tubes ($520 delivered). Sounds smooth and three dimensional. Auto bias gives you the ability to roll tubes and adjust the sound to your liking. Quality parts and robust construction, this shoebox sized amp weighs 22lbs. Go to their website and read the reviews.

IMG_0147.JPG

Jolida I have had good luck with entry level stuff ,go call Michael-Allen the owner and talk to him !! Very nice guy and pick his brain a little .

Before you go all googoo or gaga over the pretty and shiny chifi amps you should checkout the resale value of that and any of the newly made hifi equipment. The resale value is after a month or two is half the original price, or close to it.
The resale or collector value of vintage, classic audio is and should be an important consideration if a piece you are considering to buy has been rebuilt properly and is nice cosmetically. In which case your purchase is more like a test drive as the resale value can mostly if not more than cover your original purchase cost.

That may be fine in the USA where there was significantly more disposable income in the 60`s and 70`s and high end gear was in relative terms cheap.
In the UK and Europe high end valve hi fi equipment was rare, so rare infact that I never actually saw any of it, and I grew up in the 70`s and 80`s.
The reality is, I bought a single ended Class A amp, hand wired, for less than I spent last time retubing my son`s 100 watt head.
There seems to be a perceived wisdom in the USA that everything chinese is crap.
Sorry fellas , its not.
Perhaps its the same notion that led to the demise of the US and UK car industries in the 70`s when nobody could believe those silly cheap little Japanese cars would be better than our home grown ones.

The chinese are raising their game , and whilst there is admittedly an element of luck involved, companies like Yaqin are putting out equipment that kicks well known brands into the weeds.
As to resale....I dont remember when I last sold any of my gear.
It has all been repurposed , mainly with my kids.
Resale may not be a major concern for most people

Back
Top Bottom