Van Halen better with Roth or Hagar?

Roth or Hagar

• Roth

Votes: 512 80.6%
  • Hagar

Votes: 123 19.4%

• Total voters
Diamond Dave all the way....hands down with vocals and lyrics. ....Hagars lyrics were always girly love songs...I always had a hard time buying the Hagar stuff because of that.....when VH announced new material with Dave a few years back I preordered the double album

Diamond Dave all the way....hands down with vocals and lyrics. ....Hagars lyrics were always girly love songs...I always had a hard time buying the Hagar stuff because of that.....when VH announced new material with Dave a few years back I preordered the double album
You're right about Hager in the "girly words" - not the VH I grew up with. Have you heard Roth's solo "Eat'em and Smile"?, this one cranks!
David Lee Roth Eat em and Smile CD.jpg
It has Steve Vai, railing on the Guitar! Thought for sure the guitar neck would have caught fire :)

Roth. All the first six album's put a smile on my face when it's time to rock. Which is almost always. Van Hagar had it's moments however.

Studio work - Roth. He's the original and their studio stuff kicked ass.
Live - Hagar. Unfortunately, Roth has never actually sung the lyrics in concert. He misses 2 out of every five words, and the ones he DOES mutter are out of sync with the beat of the song.
Would love to see a concert in which Roth sang with at least SOME semblance of what can be heard on their studio work.

Not that it would matter anymore without Michael performing...

I actually listened to two of my favorite Van Helen works... 5150 (Haggar) and 1984 (Roth). You know, perhaps I am getting older (perhaps I shouldn't drink several glasses of wine while listening objectively :eek:;)), but I really like both of them, as both bring different things to the music. I love 1984, well, um, perhaps because I am from 1984. Seriously, the passion they had back them was amazing. 5150 represented a break-out in a new direction. Both are fantastic, from a time when Van Helen was at the very top of their game. What I wouldn't give to time-warp myself back to 1984 and then to 1987 just for one night, have the big 80's hair, put on a tini skirt, and go to a Van Helen concerts on the 1984 and 5150 tours. :D:angel:

I actually listened to two of my favorite Van Helen works... 5150 (Haggar) and 1984 (Roth). You know, perhaps I am getting older (perhaps I shouldn't drink several glasses of wine while listening objectively :eek:;)), but I really like both of them, as both bring different things to the music. I love 1984, well, um, perhaps because I am from 1984. Seriously, the passion they had back them was amazing. 5150 represented a break-out in a new direction. Both are fantastic, from a time when Van Helen was at the very top of their game. What I wouldn't give to time-warp myself back to 1984 and then to 1987 just for one night, have the big 80's hair, put on a tini skirt, and go to a Van Helen concerts on the 1984 and 5150 tours. :D:angel:

You need to drink more 5150 has always been really modern sounding lol....Roth era has that Marshall Mojo.

This is the way I have always thought of it as well. I however liked what they produced with Hagar much more than with Roth. 5150 is one of my all time favorite albums. I have always enjoyed a little more 80s-ish sound (Jump, Why Can't This Be Love, Right Now compared to the more edgey earlier stuff like Jamie's Cryin etc).

However, in the end, Van Halen was just an awesome band no matter if it was Roth or Hagar.

Dude it's dad rock and a blast beat.....haha

Heee heee :rflmao: I actually inherited 5150 (perhaps "appropriated" would be a better term) from my mom as a 33rpm record. Of the two, I do like 1984 better.

No I still like 5150 don't get me wrong fun to play on. but still it's like dad rock...our generation is like metalcore, death-metal/ deathcore, nu-metal or like whatever else or something lol

No I still like 5150 don't get me wrong fun to play on. but still it's like dad rock...our generation is like metalcore, death-metal/ deathcore, nu-metal or like whatever else or something lol
It's just something different, something you might not like. That is entirely acceptable. People shouldn't all like the same stuff. That would be boring. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of death-metal and the like. yet I wouldn't call it "noise" :eek::hug:

It's just something different, something you might not like. That is entirely acceptable. People shouldn't all like the same stuff. That would be boring. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of death-metal and the like. yet I wouldn't call it "noise" :eek::hug:

Oh it's definitely probably noise mostly or it's the patterns and useless notation where it's not song stuff just really instrumentation lol

Back
Top Bottom