Arriving today, Saturday. Shall have some more fun breaking these in

attachment.php

Attachments

• USPS.jpg
    USPS.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 190
Still going... :D

IMO, the best complement of tubes are Tung-Sol 6SL7GT & 5AR4 and Gold Lion KT77

The KT77 are the most 'ballsy' of the power tubes I've used. Solid and tighter control - YMMV

One more thing. The Psvane EL34 are better tubes than what I thought from 1st impression. Maybe it takes a longer burn-in time for them to come into their own :scratch2:

Frank Sol,

Thank you for the review and the pictures of the insides of the amplifier.

No Problem :thmbsp:

About 4 days ago I turned everything on in the morning then after the usual 30mins of warm up I cranked the vol up... Something is different, it's better sounding :yes:

Hard to explain.. Just is. Maybe it's because I settled on the tubes (pre & amp) awhile back and everything is burned-in and at their peak? If you believe in that :scratch2:

Anyhow with my Klipsch Forte these 'cheap' tube pre and amp are making sweet music together. I'm more than happy with them.

I guess this will end this test/review

The preamp being used. Now with 3 Gold Lions and a 6X4 w/cheater

attachment.php

Last edited:
SOL, how do you like the Fostek's after some time with them? I'm going to get a set of folded horns from Madisound to go with a 300B SET I just built and was thinking of trying the bass reflex's with one of my Magies. Did you get the 4" ones with the white cones or the gray with the aluminum dust cap? Someone wrote a review stating the gray cone fostek dug down a little lower. I'm building a bi-amp set up around the 300B. Building a phono pre/selector, line stage and a PP amp for the LF. I'm down to building the phono stage, speakers and subs.

Here are the ones I got...

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-fullrange/fostex-ff125wk-5-full-range/

From what I gather from the 'net it takes a long long time to break these in

I have them connected to a SS set-up now in a simple to spec bass reflex box. The SS amp can make them pump better than this EL34 tube amp. They sound good. Worth the money IMO
Thanks! Those are the ones I was thinking abnout getting with the bass reflex kit. The Maggie I m thinking of connecting them to is a PP, about 10 wpc. These are what I'm going to build for my 300B with a filter to cut the freq. response off at 200hz. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-12m-folded-horn-kit-pair/ from what I've read it will take about thirty hours to loosen up the Fostex's, but should start really sounding good after around 100hours.

So, about 41 1/2 days straight 24/7 to break them in. I guess I can connect them to my shop system and let them rip for over a month to break them in. :D

bought used ptp el34 se amp, looks like nobsound/doukmall etc... Had excellent listening experience w. Klipsch Cornwalls, kinda like the idea of switching tubes to adjust tone, happy w. RCA 6sl7, JJel34 as opposed to stock tubes. Want to try Kt77, did not like vintage 6ca7's but they work great in guitar amp. Only upgrade Alps pot. Anyway, amp blew fuse at low volume - dissected, 3.15V transformer output (3.15, gnd, 3..15) ground was connected to hot - eventually fried power trans. Any thoughts on upgrades, this is running a 110 in 320 out, el34's should handle 400 plus, or try and find orignal tranny, all info in chinese thanks, J

Sorry to wake a sleeping thread, but I just bought the Doukmall 8x2wpc SE EL34 (w/meters) amp. I was wondering about the "apparent" upgrade path to using KT88's in place of the PSVANE EL34's I have now.
I'm new to tube audio, but YT provides conflicting opinions on trying to sub EL34's out for KT-88's. Some folks say KT-77's are okay, others say 6550's are okay, which sounds suspect to me, but then I'm a neophyte in this area. Any advice is appreciated. TIA....

Last edited:
Just got a generic EL34 single ended amp, sold by Doukmall.
Its the one with the large rectifier tube and 2 EL34`s
Crackle finish chassis

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rbB7P22BHJG_ZV8C_AfhF65GmU84iLxvSw
I have been listening to it continuously for a few days.
One of the EL34`s was slightly damaged so I`m using a well burned in pair of Ruby`s from a marshall amp.
Initial impressions are, it sounds great.
Super midrange and lovely highs
Bass is ok, but perhaps a bit lightweight for rock
I have the ability to use my Pro power amp as a sub (keeping the volume low so only getting the bottom end and not ruining the sound of the valve amp)

On the whole, impressed.
It wasnt expensive and as it came quickly from within the EU no duty and arrived quickly

Last edited:
Yes, I'm running an Oldchen branded EL34's based SE amp. A truly excellent amp. I've only changed the tubes. I found that NOS Russian tubes sounded better than the PsVane tubes mine came with. This thing also sells as Aiqin an Nobsound.

IMG_20161015_144018_HDR.jpg

I also have a Nobsound MS10D hybrid amp. It's one of the later revisions rather than the earlier ones which had issues with too much voltage to the tubes. Once more it sounds better than it has any right to with NOS Russian tubes in there

IMG_20160202_213553.jpg

A mate is also running one in his holiday house, loves it.

My main system runs a Yaqin MC10T with upgraded coupling caps, volume pot, and a mix of NOS and current production tubes.

WP_20160510_22_31_10_Pro.jpg

Then there are my EAR 834P copies from Douk Audio. I bought two of these. Amazing after tube rolling

IMG_20161001_100903_HDR.jpg

I was rather happy with a Yaqin MS23b for a number if years too. It was noticeably better than a Cambridge Audio 651p I had around the same time

IMG_20160131_111240.jpg

I also have a number of Chinese DACs, interfaces and class D amps. All of these punch way above their weight. The only let down so far have been bits of gear branded as Little Bear. The T10, T8, 5-1 tube buffer. All pure pieces of crap.... The T10 wasn't bad once the hum issue was resolved, it's just my Yaqin MS23b was better..... I never found better till I moved to the EAR 834P copies.

Anyway, my point is don't be put off by the naysayers. There are plenty out there willing to bash Chinese gear. Just do your research and you'll be right. :)

Back
Top Bottom