24/96 vs 24/192

moejr

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Is there alot of difference in sound quality between a player that has a 24/96 DAC vs a 24/192 Dac?

I watched Mr. Montgomery's video and saw a typical assumption I've seen a number of times before. Monty Montgomery uses two simple waveforms, a sine wave and a square wave and assumes music which is a complex wave will act the same way. Music theoretically is made up of a large number of sine waves which would looks like a complex wave on an oscilloscope. Is there a way to take 50 to 100 sine waves of different frequencies and amplitudes mixed together and do a similar experiment like Mr. Montgomery's and retrieve each sine wave after A/D and D/A and then look at each sine wave to see if there is any distortion and/or phase changes?

See also,

Last edited:
Is there alot of difference in sound quality between a player that has a 24/96 DAC vs a 24/192 Dac?

I have listened to both 1000s of times and cannot tell the difference. But then I've listened to the same material @ REDBOOK and still cannot tell the difference. Could be my hearing... lots of tinnitus interference, aging aural apparatus, etc.

Another crazy thing here is there's people bashing sample rates and bits higher than 16bit/44.1kHz, but don't rant about how something like 14 bit / 40kHz would be enough and 16/44.1 is a waste. The reason this happens is because of mass suggestion (hypnosis). Also, memory is a lot cheaper now and more people have wide band internet, so we could easily use better resolution (more than 16/44.1).

Oh dear. Anti-science rears its ugly head. Sigh. You obviously don't comprehend Monty's very clear explanation if you think Niel Young's rantings are worth posting. You do know that Young consulted with Monty before launching his ill-fated Pono, right? Monty told him the facts, but he's a science sceptic, so went off to charlatans like Charles Hansen to validate his false claims. The genesis of Monty's article. So much "hi-Rez" nonsense has been written, driven my marketing, not science or engineering.

You're anti-science, chicks and prone to logical fallacies. You obviously don't have much experience with high end audio electronics, too. Also, you're wrong if you don't think I understand Monty's explanation. I do understand it and I know he generalized what he demonstrated. You don't understand what I said earlier when I said music is different compared to single sine and square waves.

The OP said,

Why aren't you ranting about 24/96, chicks? You saw Monty's video didn't you? Monty seems to imply that anything above 16/44.1 is a waste.

Last edited:
Another mistake you made, chicks is assuming Pono is ill-fated.

Last edited:
Monty apparently can't handle criticism. If you look at his youtube video its says, "Comments are disabled for this video."

Yes, you are ignorant, chicks.

Montgomery’s rant is old and tired. It was first floated back in 2012, and doing a quick Google search to see if the pro audio community had reacted to it in the form of an AES (Audio Engineering Society) presentation or whitepaper provided zero results. What that tells me is the professional audio industry—or the people that actually record music—find no merit in the claims. It also could be that Montgomery isn’t confident enough in his claims to take his findings to the AES crowd for fear they would dismantle the validity of it. So that could be another reason. It is easy to make claims on the Internet without fear of rebuttal after all.

http://www.cepro.com/article/stop_the_audiophile_hypocrisy_support_neil_young#

http://www.cepro.com/article/audiophiles_the_masses_deserve_the_best_quality/

Last edited:
Personally, I assign more credibility to someone at least making an effort to show me something, rather than hit me with nothing more than what amounts to statements of "trust me, I'm an audiophile just like you". Full of logical fallacies.

I have a feeling Nyquist works with sine waves, but might not apply exactly to highly complex waves and some people can hear it. Start grafting. Draw pictures of complex waves, put dots on the waves, erase the wave and see if you can fill in the orginal wave just from the dots alone. You might even try to see if someone else can do it who didn't see the orginal complex wave.

The problem with this is that someone who questions this is considered to be a heretic, until its proven. Colleges and most scientists are opposed to criticism, too. Look how many people go to college and don't get jobs in their fields. Student debt is over 1 trillions dollars, too. Its a bubble worse than the houseing bubble.

Last edited:
chicks and echowars, thank you for posting. That was an interesting read and video that I had not seen before.

Back
Top Bottom