Music Related Books

519to3mTniL.jpg

Party Music: The Inside Story of the Black Panthers' Band and How Black Power Transformed Soul Music: Rickey Vincent, Boots Riley

Party Music explores the culture and politics of the Black Power era of the late 1960s, when the rise of a black militant movement also gave rise to a “Black Awakening” in the arts--and especially in music. Here Rickey Vincent, the award-winning author of Funk, explores the relationship of soul music to the Black Power movement from the vantage point of the musicians and black revolutionaries themselves. Party Music introduces readers to the Black Panther's own band, the Lumpen, a group comprised of rank-and-file members of the Oakland, California-based Party. During their year-long tenure, the Lumpen produced hard-driving rhythm-and-blues that asserted the revolutionary ideology of the Black Panthers. Through his rediscovery of the Lumpen, and based on new interviews with Party and band members, Vincent provides an insider's account of black power politics and soul music aesthetics in an original narrative that reveals more detail about the Black Revolution than ever before. Rickey Vincent is the author of Funk: The Music, The People, and the Rhythm of the One, and has written for the Washington Post, American Legacy, and the Los Angeles Review of Books. He teaches at the University of California, Berkeley.

Just finished reading Graham Nash's Wild Tales. It's good throughout, but I really liked the beginning chapters as I never really knew about Graham Nash's pre-CSN days (other than the fact that he was in the Hollies.) He and Allan Clarke brushed shoulders with the Beatles a few times while playing the same clubs in Manchester (as Johnny and the Moondogs) and the Cavern in Liverpool. He said that the Beatles in the Cavern were loud, hard, and worked the crowd like nothing he'd seen before. He and Clarke had several bands with a wide rotation of musicians, but just 8 months after they formed the Hollies, they were offered an audition by Parlophone and were signed as soon after. They rode into Abbey Road Studios on the coattails of the Beatles.

There's also a bit about Graham Gouldman, hit songwriter who wrote Bus Stop for the Hollies as well as For Your Love and Heart Full of Soul for the Yardbirds. Gouldman was later a founding member of 10CC and co-wrote I'm Not In Love. I think Nash and Clarke learned something about songwriting from Gouldman as the Hollies started writing their own songs after they recorded Bus Stop.

pw_cFPJ0ZXAC

Not a Thrift find, but I did find a good deal at Amazon (3rd party seller) for a Hardcover of "MILES" The Autobiography by Davis and Troupe.

I read this in College and have not even seen the book since. I've wanted it in my collection for decades and just kept forgetting. Finally ordered it a few weeks ago in Hardcover Used VG + and it came today. I actually think I may find the time to read this one quickly.

51Qxnt6Bn1L._SX403_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My schedule has been slammed the last few weeks, but I did find time to read the classic Playboy interview with Miles circa September, 1962 via Kindle. A quick read (30 minutes) and very insightful. The then unknown author Alex Haley conducted and wrote the interview for Hugh Hefner. It was a landmark interview that started the ball rolling for Playboy doing celebrity interviews.

I am currently reading this for a course with author / Professor Lewis Porter great read!

I am currently reading this for a course with author / Professor Lewis Porter great read!

Enjoy. It's a stellar read, IMO. I would have loved to have taken a course that included this book.

BTW, my best friend in Grad School went to Rutgers.

Aloha!
-Billy

Brian Wilson.jpg

I Am Brian Wilson: A Memoir
Originally published: October 11, 2016
Authors: Brian Wilson, Ben Greenman

Interesting story of the creative genius behind the Beach Boys. At times a bit haunting when he talks about the voices in his head, and he revisits this issue many times throughout the book. But I appreciate his honesty in coming forward and talking about the highs and lows of his career. For the highlights see the movie Love and Mercy, but for a much more detailed and intimate look, read the book.

Just finished Peter Hook's book "Unknown Pleasures". It covers the Joy division days and nothing about New Order--which is another book of his. A very good read and he sure doesn't pull punches.

I started The Ninth: Beethoven and the World in 1824 again.
I used to read a page or 2 at a time when I'd take a smoke break in the shop a few years ago but eventually I lost interest.
It's better than I remembered and well written.

Reading Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph last Winter probably helped because now I know many
of the people that were in his life and more of his music than just the Symphonies & piano Concertos.

51DaBl4xflL.jpg

I have this book in my collection (I posted it earlier in the thread), but unfortunately it is in my other home where I can't get to it until January. So I had the local library here get me a copy so I can finish it. I was about 1/2 way through when I got too busy to finish it. Actually, it's been so long since I left it, I need to read it from the beginning again. Something to do over the Holidays. No complaints.

The Autobiography of Clark Terry - Clark and Gwen Terry

IMG_20161205_103529_1.jpg

Last edited:
I started reading the Keith Moon and Ginger Baker biographies. I couldn't get 1/4 thru each book. They are loaded with drugs and Keith Moon was an imbecile from a very early age. The school music teacher gave him some drumsticks to work out his hyperactivity and the rest is history. Moon also felt that he was entitled to anything so he nicked food from stores and other things with little remorse. Tony Iommi's bio is good.

Slightly left turn here but Vintage Guitar Magazine reviews dozens of worthy albums every month and has great articles on dozens of legacy artists and talented new people. If you looking for great stuff you don't know about its a great resource for new music.... commercial throwaway music or artists are thankfully not included.
As far as books are concerned both of David Crosby's bio books with Carl Gotlieb are great reads. The PBS documentary Jazz has a great companion hardback coffee table book with tons of great stuff, and it smells great as well...sorry but the smell of finely printed new books are part of the book experience for me. Same goes for new Vinyl... Kind of like blue Marantz dials for the nose instead of the eyes.

I started The Ninth: Beethoven and the World in 1824 again.
I used to read a page or 2 at a time when I'd take a smoke break in the shop a few years ago but eventually I lost interest.
It's better than I remembered and well written.

Reading Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph last Winter probably helped because now I know many
of the people that were in his life and more of his music than just the Symphonies & piano Concertos.

View attachment 828083
Finished it last night. I read a few pages to a chapter a night when I did and took a 2 week hiatus during the holiday to get Clive Barker ~ The Great & Secret Show started again (400 pages in).
I highly recommend it to Beethoven fans. Very well written with a dry sense of humor.

Ended up with a couple of cool looking music books this holiday season.
Santa brought Duke: A Life Of Duke Ellington by Terry Teachout(plus a Bob Dylan Time magazine special edition), and I ended up killing some time at a GW and came across Oscar Peterson: The Will To Swing by Gene Lees.

I got Bill the Drummer's book about his life with the Grateful Dead, Deal. Another take on the Acid Tests never hurts.

I also picked up the Rolling Stones All The Songs: The Story Behind Every Track coffee table crusher.

Back
Top Bottom