Kappa 9 crossover

Lexi, every so often someone such as yourself comes on this forum and with almost your exact situation asks the kind of questions you are asking about the Kappa 9's. Folks here could fill chapters on what you need to know on the K9's depending on your specific problems but you need to first do a full analysis of each speaker and driver to determine what may not be functioning properly so that folks here can give you guidance on what your next steps should be.

I will tell you that IMO even if you could find someone to do all the repairs for you, it is not financially feasible to do that.

Here is a pic of the xover of one of my Kappa 9's when I was working on my pair. Some capacitors are missing because I was in the process of replacing them. I rewired the crossovers so I could open them whenever I needed like a clam shell. (The small black box in the upper left above the number 10 is the Polyswitch breaker switch for the Semit.)
View attachment 826210
What do you mean by it is not financially feasible are you saying my Kappa s are not worth repairing.the nicer of the two pair sounds amazing it's just at moderate levels one of the semit cuts out and back in..from what I'm reading this is most likely the Polyswitch that has seen better days.if this is correct and is a common problem I would like to just replace all of them in both pair and not have to worry about it for a while..as far as the other pair goes one emit is not working the wiring appears to be fine and the driver works great.so once again and to my limited knowledge it's the polyswitch's right ? and for the other speaker in this pair I seen the person I bought them from has bypassed the polyswitch for the semit.I am not a fan of this at all because I love loud beautiful sound but I do not want to hurt my babies.so with all of this being said what should I do?after looking at the xover's I'm just afraid I'd do more harm than good.my soldering experience is putting wire on speaker terms that's about it.thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help a greenhorn

I'd like to thank everyone for the input.I wish so badly that every one could just transplant their knowledge in my brain there's just so much I wish to learn I've just never had equipment worth learning all the ins and outs.its been a hard fought battle and tons of back breaking work just to get the little bit of stuff I have now.it's a bit overwhelming the stuff i should know and want to know.i wish I had a wingman/big brother type of person. thanks again everyone who has helped and will in the future

I would Temporarily bypass the poly-switch for the non working emit to see if it makes it play, if that doesn't work try adding another capacitor of close to the same value as the capacitor for the non working emit to see if it plays, simply connect each of the new capacitors ends to each of the old capacitor ends in question, I had a few capacitors go bad in a pair of k9's that I had years ago.

Last edited:
What do you mean by it is not financially feasible are you saying my Kappa s are not worth repairing.
Not logistically feasible would have been more correct than not financially feasible. Would you physically transport the entire speaker to some repair shop? Surgically removing the xover and sending just that for repair makes less sense because if you can do that you could certainly replace the Polyswitch.

Your Kappa 9's are certainly worth repairing as they sound fantastic driven properly and the Semits add a lot to the top end. You just need to get in there and learn what you need to learn to replace the Polyswitches.

As I have said elsewhere on this forum, buying vintage Infinity speakers is like buying a vintage classic car. You have to be willing to learn what you need to learn to DIY like a hobby and that is part of the satisfaction of owning vintage speakers.

Last edited:
Working on speakers is not too hard. They are passive (except for electrostatics) and will not electrocute you like an amplifier can. Besides they come in pairs. Just leave the one together as a reference on how they are made and go back together. Plus you have this site with guys that love to talk about this stuff. Also many internet retail venders to buy parts from. Working on old speakers is not for everyone but most anyone can restore a pair of speakers with all the info on the web these days. Definitely not like it was years ago when you just do the best with what you had...
Jim

....... Just leave the one together as a reference on how they are made and go back together. .....
A small digital camera that can take close up shots is your best tool. Take lots of pics before making any changes to refer back too. Then take pics after the mods so you can later see what you did without having to re-opening the speaker.

Your Kappa 9's are certainly worth repairing as they sound fantastic driven properly and the Semits add a lot to the top end.

Yes! These speakers are DEFINITELY worth the hassle of fixing them up!

Besides they come in pairs. Just leave the one together as a reference on how they are made and go back together.
Jim

+1 I did the exact same thing!

A small digital camera that can take close up shots is your best tool. Take lots of pics before making any changes to refer back too. Then take pics after the mods so you can later see what you did without having to re-opening the speaker.

+1 Very important tip!!

Anyways, Leximarley, don't get discouraged and by all means, DO NOT SELL THESE SPEAKERS! Once you hear them the way they're supposed to sound, you will be so glad you have them. I had a hard time learning how to do all this stuff myself (soldering, recapping, replacing inductors, etc.) as I had no experience with it. I kept at it though and can now do almost any repair on a crossover... thanks to ALL the help here on audiokarma of course. Above posters have given some really good info and if you need any help, just post your questions on these forums. Good luck!

... I have some decent amps aragon 4004mkii one for each pair but I would like to improve on this at some point.....I am not sure how to put pics on here this is my first time on here

Lexi, a couple of comments,
1. I am curious as to how you came to acquire TWO sets of K9's. What is the back story there?
2. Please post some pics with the grills removed (ie. nudies). You just hit the Upload a File button below your post and then select the picture icon above to insert it.
3. I would recommend that you take the two best working K9's of the four you have and bi-amp them with one Aragon pushing each speaker. Of course you would need a pre-amp that has two sets of Main outputs (main1, main2).
4. Initially, leave the bass extension switch to the off position until you assess the power of your amps. The impedance of the K9's drop to below 1ohm at certain frequencies and most amps think it is a short and will shut down.

Lexi, a couple of comments,
1. I am curious as to how you came to acquire TWO sets of K9's. What is the back story there?
2. Please post some pics with the grills removed (ie. nudies). You just hit the Upload a File button below your post and then select the picture icon above to insert it.
3. I would recommend that you take the two best working K9's of the four you have and bi-amp them with one Aragon pushing each speaker. Of course you would need a pre-amp that has two sets of Main outputs (main1, main2).
4. Initially, leave the bass extension switch to the off position until you assess the power of your amps. The impedance of the K9's drop to below 1ohm at certain frequencies and most amps think it is a short and will shut down.
I found everything on ebay from one seller who claimed to have completely restored everything kappas and amps.so I drove 13 hrs after 14 hr work day .he was asking some pretty high prices but thinking that every thing was going to be in tip top shape.I decided it would be worth it not to have to fix anything.after getting there and a brief audition I found a few driver's not working in the first pair so he got to work on them .he managed to get them all working or at least I thought he did.still one emit not working in the pair that isn't as nice.I'm not a fan of just jumping the poly switches or breaker and I believe that is how he got them going. by this time I have been awake for almost 2 days and wasn't in any shape be making big decisions. I wasn't able to really check everything out good because I was so out of it. after driving all the way down there is was going to bring them home anyway I just way over paid.but now both amps are on the tec bench one quit after two songs and the other i accidentally dropped a set of cables and it shorted the speaker terms. what luck.please don't ask what I paid I'm not going to say I'm just going to hang my head in shame for a while the one pair is very nice except one semit cuts out at moderate levels. I am using them in a home theater setup when I get more amps and hopefully get mine back are y's not acceptable for bi-amping 20161119_191303.jpg 14806365713661650511477.jpg

I found everything on ebay from one seller who claimed to have completely restored everything kappas and amps.so I drove 13 hrs after 14 hr work day .he was asking some pretty high prices but thinking that every thing was going to be in tip top shape.I decided it would be worth it not to have to fix anything.after getting there and a brief audition I found a few driver's not working in the first pair so he got to work on them .he managed to get them all working or at least I thought he did.still one emit not working in the pair that isn't as nice.I'm not a fan of just jumping the poly switches or breaker and I believe that is how he got them going. by this time I have been awake for almost 2 days and wasn't in any shape be making big decisions. I wasn't able to really check everything out good because I was so out of it. after driving all the way down there is was going to bring them home anyway I just way over paid.but now both amps are on the tec bench one quit after two songs and the other i accidentally dropped a set of cables and it shorted the speaker terms. what luck.please don't ask what I paid I'm not going to say I'm just going to hang my head in shame for a while the one pair is very nice except one semit cuts out at moderate levels. I am using them in a home theater setup when I get more amps and hopefully get mine back are y's not acceptable for bi-amping View attachment 828197 View attachment 828199

WOW! What a home theater experience that is going to be!!!! Have you ever seen any of the home made "center channel" speakers bashed together from Kappa speakers by Infinity lovers? Keep us posted!!!

WOW! What a home theater experience that is going to be!!!! Have you ever seen any of the home made "center channel" speakers bashed together from Kappa speakers by Infinity lovers? Keep us posted!!!
Yes seen some pretty cool ones I hope to use a kappa 8 if not a 7 or two 6'so and kappa 6'speakers for hight and width channels it's going to take some time I am really pour for this hobby

I found everything on ebay from one seller who claimed to have completely restored everything kappas and amps.so I drove 13 hrs after 14 hr work day .he was asking some pretty high prices but thinking that every thing was going to be in tip top shape.I decided it would be worth it not to have to fix anything.after getting there and a brief audition I found a few driver's not working in the first pair so he got to work on them .he managed to get them all working or at least I thought he did.still one emit not working in the pair that isn't as nice.I'm not a fan of just jumping the poly switches or breaker and I believe that is how he got them going. by this time I have been awake for almost 2 days and wasn't in any shape be making big decisions. I wasn't able to really check everything out good because I was so out of it. after driving all the way down there is was going to bring them home anyway I just way over paid.but now both amps are on the tec bench one quit after two songs and the other i accidentally dropped a set of cables and it shorted the speaker terms. what luck.please don't ask what I paid I'm not going to say I'm just going to hang my head in shame for a while the one pair is very nice except one semit cuts out at moderate levels. I am using them in a home theater setup when I get more amps and hopefully get mine back are y's not acceptable for bi-amping View attachment 828197 View attachment 828199
Those look pretty nice. You will have to show us what it looks like when u get everything set up. 2 sets I couldn't even imagine in my small space.
image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom