Vandersteen Model 2 which version

willie-
If your re-using your socks then there's no need to remove the top plate.

you can just barely access the 8" driver without removing the L-pad/speaker terminal plate,which is also stapled in,or was on my A's...
while your at it of course you'll want to verify that all six drivers are working and of course deoxit the pots.
here's a little trick i taught myself-
those socks-they are made of polyester or some such material and tend to get
little balls of fuzz and snags.it's not really a fix but a "dodge"and works quiet well and that is- fire!
yep either a disposable lighter or a small butane type "torch"
just touch the flame to them and "poof" they turn to ash and fuse the material with barely any ,if at all residue.
the foams-
i used some generic ones that i already had on the 8's and the 10's simply speaker FSK 10 i think .i called Vandersteen and they don't sell foams for either and i was told to basicially use whatever.they/he had no particular suggestion as to specific brand/type.
look in my thread...

if yours are anything like my A's then be prepared for a bit of sweating.grunting/cursing.take some pics as you go and keep us"there"

Moe,
I will be reusing the socks as they look brand new. I will defiantly post pics as I go along. it will be a few days since I have to wait for the foams to get here.

looking forward to it.this will allow plenty of time to get the bottom plates off.
i grunted mine off as opposed to prying with any device and then getting all those dern staples out!

Looking at a pair or Vandersteen 2CE Signature I had a pair of CI's and liked them. Maybe I should hold off for 3a's?

theoman

I have owned both and preferred the 2CE Sigs. I have the last revision before they went to the Series II with the different tweeter. Just upgraded to Treo's and still deciding what to do with the 2CE Sigs.

If the better half has her way, yes. Can't just store those boxes in a spare closet like an extra pair of bookshelf speakers.

Come to think of it I have a pair of woofers that came out of 2c's (no i or e) and they are the vifa's with butyl surrounds and the big 35 ounce magnets just like the ones in the ce's.
Jim
Mine as well. I wonder where in the serial number sequence the switch was made? Love my 2Cs, they play about 6-8 hours a day, never complain and sound wonderful. Listening to them as I type.

I know it's a few months later, but they are done! They had been serviced once before as the base came off quite easily and you could tell they had been stapled more than once. put the new surrounds on, cleaned the pots and voila, back in business!

I really like the sound of these speakers, defiantly keepers.

just picked up a pair of 2Ce Sigs... serial # 57XXX , anybody know what year these were made? Guy i bought them from said he bought them about 9 years ago

Not many reviews on the 3A's. Has anyone compared them to the 2's?
I got some 3As at the end of May, swapped them as Front mains where my 2CEs used to be - they play lower bass and have a bit more definition than the 2CEs do - its a subtle improvement, but definitely an improvement.

Maybe someone who's handy with reading Vandy serial numbers can give these an eyeball...

upload_2016-10-4_22-53-8.png

upload_2016-10-4_22-53-25.png

upload_2016-10-4_22-53-44.png

That almost looks like "78371 C6" in the second photo, but looks like a lowercase "e" in the first. The other speaker looks like it had some faint stamping there but, with these being sequential, they'd be the same model no doubt.

Also, would anyone know if the numerical serial number reset when the model numbers changed, or if they kept on going consecutively? (In other words, would 2Ci maybe stop at a number like 83144 and the 2Ce start over at 00001 or 10001...?) If the numbers were sequential throughout all models, that may also be a good way to tell how old they are, and which model when the serials are hard to read.

I have a chance on getting these but definitely want the 2Ce version.

Hmmm, these may be the 2Ce with some 2Ce Signature parts in them. Yet I don't know again if the numbers are sequential. Check this out from Vandersteen's FAQ:

Unknown (1/25/06): what period was the Model 2CE in production? Is the grill removable?

Answer: HELLO, THE MODEL 2CE WENT INTO PRODUCTION 1N FEB 1991. THE 2CE INITIALLY HAD THE 3/4" ALLOY TWEETER OF THE 2CI (IN PRODUCTION 1989-1991) BECAUSE WE HAD NOT COMPLETED THE 1" UNTIL NOV 1991. SN#56032 WAS THE FIRST 2CE TO INCLUDE THE 1" TWEETER AT THIS POINT THE TOP, BOTTOM, AND INPUT PLATE WERE THE ONLY PARTS COMMON BETWEEN THE TWO. IN 1998 THE 2CE WAS DISCONTINUED AND THE 2CE SIGNATURE WENT INTO PRODUCTION. THE LAST 3 MONTHS OF THE 2CE PRODUCTION HAD ABOUT HALF OF THE SIGNATURE PARTS INCLUDED (SN#77000 AND ABOVE) AND CAN BE UPGRADED TO SIGNATURES AT THE FACTORY FOR $380.00 PLUS FREIGHT. THE 2CE SIGNATURES ARE CURRENTLY STILL IN PRODUCTION BUT HAVE HAD YEARLY UPGRADES, THE MOST SIGNIFICANT IN FEB 2005 (SN#57374 AND ABOVE). THE GRILL CLOTH IS NOT REMOVABLE HOWEVER THE CUSTOMER SERVICE SECTION OF THIS WEB SITE HAS INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO GET INTO THE BOTTOM FOR SERVICE.​

Last edited:
I cannot see thru this sock for the life of me. No flashlight will penetrate.

Serial number on my Vandersteen 2C is 21671 C

I do not hear any symptoms of surround rot, but I can only make out the surrounds slightly, and wondered if anyone knew in the 2C serial number run that the butyls were used.

Just curious. They sound fantastic, and Jose Feliciano never sounded better.

I'll check my 2C (clear mid cones, foam mid surrounds) and 2Ce (black mid cones, rubber mid surrounds) serial no's when I get home.

Was that perhaps done with a model number changeover? I know my 2CEs have the rubber surrounds. But did they make the change from the 2 to the 2C? Or the 2CI to the 2CE?

Would Vandersteen have any history based on serial number? That may be one way to check it.

I can't see through my socks either. And that includes the socks on the Vandersteens. :D

I'll check my 2C (clear mid cones, foam mid surrounds) and 2Ce (black mid cones, rubber mid surrounds) serial no's when I get home.

My 2C are 5433/4

lHwk5mvl.jpg

My 2Ce are apparently in fact 2Ci (woops) and are 31224/5

2zC0oQjl.jpg

This may be a little late but i found that if you sit in a dark room at night you can see through the grill sock pretty well. 20170320_205142.jpg

Attachments

• 20170320_210024.jpg
    20170320_210024.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom