Great "Every Day Carry" knives

I travelled for work last week, and used my hiking backpack as luggage because it was only an overnight trip.
I did not think to check the thing prior to running to the airport and as soon as I was pulled aside at the security checkpoint I realized I was carrying one of my favorite folding knives in the pack, a Svord Peasant knife. Not an expensive knife, but one with a handle that I had made to fit my hand.

I hate that the TSA only offers the option to choose between flying and keeping your knife.

One of my colleagues told me that in Mexico, their security people offered him the opportunity to buy a shipping envelope so that he could mail his knife home. Way smarter and more traveler-friendly. How much could it cost and how difficult to implement it would it be?

Sorry to hear that. I am sure that it happens more often than we like to think it does. I have often thought about a service that a vendor at airports could provide for just those cases.

That Lionsteel looks really nice. How long is it? The picture makes it look like it would be easy to carry in your pants pocket.

I thought that I heard something very recently about Benchmade adding a thumb safety lock to the Griptilian family. I thought that it was to be something like the Axis mechanism found on the Emissary models. After searching and looking at the Benchmade site, I can't find any mention of it. Has anyone else heard anything about it, or am I just dreaming?

That Lionsteel looks really nice. How long is it? The picture makes it look like it would be easy to carry in your pants pocket.

I thought that I heard something very recently about Benchmade adding a thumb safety lock to the Griptilian family. I thought that it was to be something like the Axis mechanism found on the Emissary models. After searching and looking at the Benchmade site, I can't find any mention of it. Has anyone else heard anything about it, or am I just dreaming?
The Lionsteel has a 3 3/4 inch blade, and an overall length of about 8 1/4 inches, and weighs in at 7 oz.
Not exactly petite, but I prefer EDC knives a little on the large size, I typically carry something like a Zero Tolerance 0561, Benchmade Contego, etc. I never cared for the clip on the Lionsteel, so I removed it, and carry it on my belt in a case from my first Galaxy phone, it`s a perfect fit.

I have not yet heard anything about an auxiliary safety lock on the `Grip....I have a Benchmade 580 Barrage in front of me right now, it has that extra lock, it works to perfection, IMHO....maybe it`s just on the Doug Ritter `Grip ?

Today`s choice is a Ken Onion/Kershaw collaboration. The blade is a composite design, with D2 tool steel along the cutting edge, and CPM 154CM on the spine. This gives a good hard edge, with a more flexible, shock-absorbing spine. (Pretty much the way the old clay-tempered Japanese blades were done, but with modern techniques and materials). Handles are Titanium, with carbon-fiber inserts. Ergonomics are superb, this one really feels good in the hand. (SHARP mofo, too !)
Spring-assisted opening, the blade really jumps out and employs with a very satisfying "THWACK !"....

upload_2016-11-7_22-39-44.png

I travelled for work last week, and used my hiking backpack as luggage because it was only an overnight trip.
I did not think to check the thing prior to running to the airport and as soon as I was pulled aside at the security checkpoint I realized I was carrying one of my favorite folding knives in the pack, a Svord Peasant knife. Not an expensive knife, but one with a handle that I had made to fit my hand.

I hate that the TSA only offers the option to choose between flying and keeping your knife.

One of my colleagues told me that in Mexico, their security people offered him the opportunity to buy a shipping envelope so that he could mail his knife home. Way smarter and more traveler-friendly. How much could it cost and how difficult to implement it would it be?

This happened to me at McCarran airport in Las Vegas. It was a leatherman wingman I left in a winter jacket I hadn't worn in 2 years.They offered me the shipping service, but I recall the cost being around the cost of a new leatherman.

Could be worse. A coworker forgot 5 .38 +P in an old duffle he hadn't used in years. Needless to say he had an interesting conversation with TSA.

IMG_1167.JPG
This 3 1/2" (closed) 6" (open) Buck knife goes in my right front pocket every day to work. Has for years. Perfect for daily use.

Today`s slicing & dicing duties will be performed by this Benchmade Contego. The M4 steel takes and holds a very sharp edge.

upload_2016-11-30_13-50-58.png

Last edited:
Carrying a knife is fairly new to me, this Kershaw Shuffle has been in my back pocket for close to a year and I don't know how I got by so long not having it on me.

It's small enough that I don't even know it's in my pocket but fits perfectly in my hand, it has a bottle opener built in that I probably use more than the blade and the lanyard attachment doubles as a flathead screwdriver that works great for prying. It can be had for about $15 so I won't be heartbroken if I lose it plus Kershaw offers free lifetime sharpening.

IMG_7629.JPG
IMG_7633.JPG
IMG_7632.JPG

Carrying a knife is fairly new to me, this Kershaw Shuffle has been in my back pocket for close to a year and I don't know how I got by so long not having it on me.

It's small enough that I don't even know it's in my pocket but fits perfectly in my hand, it has a bottle opener built in that I probably use more than the blade and the lanyard attachment doubles as a flathead screwdriver that works great for prying. It can be had for about $15 so I won't be heartbroken if I lose it plus Kershaw offers free lifetime sharpening.

What a great little knife !
IMHO, Kershaw probably offers the most "Bang For Your Buck" knives of any company out there.

Back
Top Bottom