Video ads autoplaying?

I'm glad I am not the only one.

That black rectangle with the spinning circle is positively wreaks havoc on my machine when I'm on AK.

I think those ads have been what's occasionally causing my phone to seem like it locks up. Went on the desktop for a while and they were even bogging that down on an i5 and 60Mbps connection. Fortunately and unfortunately, AdBlock seems to have largely quelled it.

These freaking black rectangle, lock up the computer ad things have all but made this site useless on Chrome.

I think those ads have been what's occasionally causing my phone to seem like it locks up. Went on the desktop for a while and they were even bogging that down on an i5 and 60Mbps connection. Fortunately and unfortunately, AdBlock seems to have largely quelled it.

I've added the adblock plus extension, is that what you're using ?

If you guys are talking about this thing (at the top / and bottom) -

ads.jpg

and when you click on it it takes you to this YouTube channel -

outdoorheroes

maybe this guy (Dan Hernandez Sport Fishing) is serving the wrong kind of ad format. Dunno - I see it on Firefox, and sometime IIRC Chrome - but lately Chrome shows a more benign well-behaved ad from zvoxaudio.com.

That's the thing I'm having issues with. Sometimes it eventually loads a commercial and/or my computer slooooows or locks and I get the aw snap wait or close google thing.

If you guys are talking about this thing (at the top / and bottom) -

View attachment 835153

and when you click on it it takes you to this YouTube channel -

outdoorheroes

maybe this guy (Dan Hernandez Sport Fishing) is serving the wrong kind of ad format. Dunno - I see it on Firefox, and sometime IIRC Chrome - but lately Chrome shows a more benign well-behaved ad from zvoxaudio.com.

Yep. Banner ads don't seem to be working right at all.

Yep. Banner ads don't seem to be working right at all.
For me banner ads are working fine except for this one exception - post 25. And now it only seems to attempt to load in Firefox. I'm using MS Edge now with no adblock and no problems with normal banner ads in those postions - like the ones I'm seeing now for holiday treats (top) and high speed internet (bottom). So the point is we might have a "rogue" form of ad media that crashes when it tries to load.

OK - this just in ...

I'm still on MS Edge and now the black banner with the circling buffer graphic is back and when I click on it it takes me to this YouTube channel -

MartialArtsClassics

So the problem seems to be so far for me at least restricted to ads promoting YouTube channels.

That's the thing I'm having issues with. Sometimes it eventually loads a commercial and/or my computer slooooows or locks and I get the aw snap wait or close google thing.

Same thing with my phone's browser. Either severe lag, aw snap, or just stops. All other sites no problems so far.

Even before I started using ad-blocker, putting these lines in the hosts file eliminated a LOT of crap.

#Block those ads in the hosts file and the server is free to load the forum info
127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

I have zero sympathy for forced advertising on the net, and an active hostility to sites that thwart ad-blockers.

Even before I started using ad-blocker, putting these lines in the hosts file eliminated a LOT of crap.

#Block those ads in the hosts file and the server is free to load the forum info
127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

I have zero sympathy for forced advertising on the net, and an active hostility to sites that thwart ad-blockers.
I share your opinion about targeted ad spew from these servers. What I don't have a problem with is advertising in general - so I'm guessing that ad-blocker technology is gonna force sites to come up with a way to advertise that can't be blocked - or at doesn't annoy users to the point where they're looking for countermeasures. Right now one solution might be to so thoroughly embed the ads into site content that it makes it difficult for blockers to discriminate between ad and non-ad content. Right now - even with ad-blocker - I still get all the AK banner ads. But I don't get these problematic YouTube ads that are hanging on load.

"I thought up the Seven Deadly Sins in one afternoon. The only thing I've come up with recently is advertising."

- Peter Cook, as Lucifer, Prince of Darkness, in the movie Bedazzled.

"I thought up the Seven Deadly Sins in one afternoon. The only thing I've come up with recently is advertising."

- Peter Cook, as Lucifer, Prince of Darkness, in the movie Bedazzled.
Lucifer (The Devil) wants everybody to pay fees for internet usage. Get thee hence !!!

I share your opinion about targeted ad spew from these servers. What I don't have a problem with is advertising in general - so I'm guessing that ad-blocker technology is gonna force sites to come up with a way to advertise that can't be blocked - or at doesn't annoy users to the point where they're looking for countermeasures. ...

I ran across a site some days ago, a news outlet I think it was, that apparently detected my ad blocker. A message said I had to disable the blocker to access the site, and would not let me proceed to any content. I instead went to a different source/site.

I ran across a site some days ago, a news outlet I think it was, that apparently detected my ad blocker. A message said I had to disable the blocker to access the site, and would not let me proceed to any content. I instead went to a different source/site.

I understand that ads pay these sites, more power to them. However, It seems that there are more and more sites doing this. I hate ads and move on.

I can and do tolerate some ads, but when they are so prolific or so invasive they hang my computer I grow weary of it very quickly. As I expect is the same point for most of us.

AFAIK ad-blocker works off a list of ad-servers and refuses to load anything from those servers. If the news site hosted its own ads like real paper newspapers do then chances are the ad-blocker would treat those ads as normal content and not block them. So this battle between measures and countermeasures all boils down to ad-servers and ad-blockers.

This has been going on for a few years but now ad-blockers have really caught on and the advertising industry has "lost" billions of dollars cuz of it. Well - they really didn't "lose" anything - it wasn't theirs to begin with. They tried to force people to watch their annoying automated targeted shit and people were driven to find ways to shut it off. The whole ad-server thing may become extinct.

Back
Top Bottom