One last Japanese audio hunt before moving back to the States

bjlefebvre

So looks like there's a 90% chance of our moving back to the States around Feb/March. Moving to the Washington DC area (where we don't know anyone or any record shops. But that's another story). In the three-year stint we've been here I've picked up a used pair of Yamaha NS-690 speakers, a used Denon DP-50L record player, a used Denon SUT and a "used" new Yamaha A-S801 amp, along with a s**t ton of Japanese pressings of jazz records.

Our family is already stressing out about the move. But I might make time for one last day of audio shopping/ Yahoo Auction hunt. Just for fun, what's your suggestions for cheap/mid-priced stuff here that's unobtainium in the US?

Note: I'm not buying any of this for you. :)
Unless maybe you ask nice, it's easy to pack and you make it worth my time. ;)

Last edited:
Technics tube gear from the 60s?
Luxman?
Sansui tube power amps?
Diatone P-610?
Denon moving coil cartridges?
Tango/Tamura transformers?
Beatles records pressed in japan?
Some cool well made power strips?
Cooking knives?
Grace tonearm?
Toshiba "for hi-fi" audio tubes?
Fostex super tweeters?
Headphones?
Oh crap I just read cheap... well maybe some it is depends what it means.

Good suggestions. I have a couple of Denon 103s, but I might look for some other offerings.
I keep thinking to pick up a vintage Luxman on Yahoo Auction - an SQ507? - but keep thinking it would cost as much as my Yamaha did, doesn't have a remote and would require a separate DAC to boot.
The price they put on used Beatles records is more than I care to pay for the Beatles. I have a Parlaphone Revolver and one of the new mono editions of The White Album. That's pretty much all I care to have from their catalog.
Power strips? Hmmmmmm. That's kooky enough to work and small enough to pack. Is there a power strip you have in mind? I just pick up the damn things at the hardware store, but I don't think those are the types you're thinking of.

Diatone P-610s look interesting. Wonder how those sounds compared to 690s. The 690s mate well with the A-S801, IMHO.

Please ship me these.
a.jpg

Nothing specific in mind, I once bought a whole bunch of surface mount Japanese made electrical outlets at electronic dimensions in Tacoma WA, and much prefer them to the domestic stuff you can buy at Home Depot. They really lock in the plug and are very durable and precise. If globalization gave japan the same Chinese junk that everyone else uses then forget that idea.

I am kind of kooky myself though, I would probably be checking out the door locks too... and maybe the hand tools like screwdrivers or pliers. Japanese attention to detail is amazing in some of their products, my suitcases would weigh a ton!

Diatones are legendary full range drivers, they mate well with low power tubes. They're not for everyone, and your NS-690s are probably way more general purpose. But you asked about cool unobtainum stuff!

Last edited:
Speaking of the kooky stuff, we may try a Japanese toilet seat and toilet paper holder. I have no idea why the entire world has not adopted Japanese toilet paper holders.
See a pair of those Diatones on Yahoo Auction for $200 plus shipping. If only I needed them....

If you have any use for a small quality hand saw, they make them to cut on the pull stroke, rather than the push stroke. Woodworking and gardening tools in general are cleverly designed and well-made.

They are way ahead on energy-efficient, in-wall heat pumps that function as both a heater in the winter and an air conditioner in the summer. Not sure if they fit under the airline seat, however. :)

I wonder how much a Hana SL moving-coil cartridge costs in Japan...

You know, I couldn't fine a Hana cart. I'm really interested in one of those but unable to find a dealer. Cartridges are weird here - sometimes they're cheaper here and sometimes they're cheaper in the US. Depends on the exchange rate and where they're actually made.

They are way ahead on energy-efficient, in-wall heat pumps that function as both a heater in the winter and an air conditioner in the summer.
Speaking as someone who's lived in Japanese homes off and on for more than 10 years, I can say that they may have energy-efficient machinery, but whether that counters having only a bare-minimum of insulation in the walls and very little - if any- centralized heat/air is a good question. Yeah the water gets hot - then you're back to freezing your a** off as soon as you step outside the shower/tub.

Speaking as someone who's lived in Japanese homes off and on for more than 10 years, I can say that they may have energy-efficient machinery, but whether that counters having only a bare-minimum of insulation in the walls and very little - if any- centralized heat/air is a good question. Yeah the water gets hot - then you're back to freezing your a** off as soon as you step outside the shower/tub.
One of these and one of those would be nice.
I'd like one of each, por favor.
Japan-Kotatsu-heated-table-bed-4-889x633.jpg

Just don't get one of those robotic toilets... I used one, exactly once - what an unpleasant thing!

Ah, a kotatsu. Actually that's not a bad idea. i'll bring that up with the wife.
And got you on "one of each." One coffee and one donut coming your way. You want tracking on that?

Ah, a kotatsu. Actually that's not a bad idea. i'll bring that up with the wife.
And got you on "one of each." One coffee and one donut coming your way. You want tracking on that?
Ah, I'm not sure what you are referring to, coffee and donuts are nice but I'm talking about a pair of warm feet;).
I'm surprised they(kotatsu) haven't caught on especially in the colder States

Last edited:
Tube amps: 1999 Sansui AU-111 'Vintage' or 2001 Sansui AU-111G. (but pricy)

Quality Cooking knives!! A b s o l u t e l y.

Vintage Nagaoka 'flat top' headshell.

15 pair of: 'slide your foot in' Japanese cloth house slippers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Winter & summer.

Last edited:
No sake drinkers here I see ? Any nice daiginjo would be great and a case would be better :) How about the Dassai "Beyond" for example ? Gotta be cheaper there than here....

Kampai !

jblnut

Back
Top Bottom