Show me your workbench!

I may have posted in one of these bench threads, but no matter. A bench is constantly evolving, so any pics I've posted are outdated.

Here's a shot of the bench:

Here's a shot of the left side, where most of the test equipment is stacked:

The test stereo. I finally got around to building a patch bay so I wouldn't have to keep pulling the preamp out to patch something in the back for testing:

This is my "soldering station". Puts everything in one place and keeps the desoldering gun from falling over and melting cables:

This is my bench in 2018:

20180128_195904.jpg

I really enjoy threads like this. They give me ideas that make my bench more efficient and more pleasurable to work at. Keep 'em coming! Because this is my bench from the early 90's:

And I need all the help I can get!

Last edited:
Those plastic shelves you've got the receivers stacked on must be fairly new? I tried those, and they sagged out pretty bad over a couple years time.

They sagged almost right away! They are stable though. About three years old now? I went with plastic because of reduced potential for damage from loading and unloading.

Can we get a closeup of your wallplates that connect to your test gear? That's a great idea! I'm always trying to keep the clutter to a minimum, and would love to have my test gear shelf "wired".

Mike

Here is a poor block diagram and a picture of my interface. On the right side, up arrow indicates 'IN' down arrow indicates 'OUT'
So the FM GEN jacks are for feeding an audio signal into My FM generator, etc.

Tom
sw box.jpg IMG_5071.jpg

They sagged almost right away! They are stable though. About three years old now? I went with plastic because of reduced potential for damage from loading and unloading.

About what I figured. I ended up replacing them with some light duty shelving with metal frames and particle board shelves ... which sagged almost immediately as well ... ;-}

Still got those, but I reinforced the shelves by bolting on a bunch of dropped ceiling t-rails that I had laying around. That stiffened up the shelves considerably, and they'll hold quite a load now.The old plastic units got recycled to the garage.

workbench-002.jpg

PS ... that's actually tidy for my shop. <G>

I just posted this in a different thread, but here are a some updated pictures of my "weird space under the stairs" that you saw at the top of this thread.

Here we go...

This is outside the door, looking in:

index.php

The pegboard wall:

index.php

...and the inside corner. I just moved the cabinets to this spot, and I really like them here!

index.php

In my collection of old electronics magazines,there was an issue (1940's or 1950's,and I can't remember the magazine either!) about the electronics hobbyist and the apartment dweller. It was a really cool article about how to utilize very limited space,and had some truly creative ways of creating and hiding a workbench,from the old fold-down ironing boards to a complete closet ham shack.Those guys were really clever:)

When I was a kid,I mounted my bed on posts that made it high enough stand under,and installed my bench underneath. It was also very discretely anchored to the wall:rolleyes:
It required a stepladder to get into bed though!

When I was a kid,I mounted my bed on posts that made it high enough stand under,and installed my bench underneath. It was also very discretely anchored to the wall:rolleyes: It required a stepladder to get into bed though!
So you had a bunk bed without the bottom bunk? That sir, is genius!
We were a large family in a small home and I would've killed just for just a square inch of my own space.

In my collection of old electronics magazines,there was an issue (1940's or 1950's,and I can't remember the magazine either!) about the electronics hobbyist and the apartment dweller. It was a really cool article about how to utilize very limited space,and had some truly creative ways of creating and hiding a workbench,from the old fold-down ironing boards to a complete closet ham shack.Those guys were really clever:)

When I was a kid,I mounted my bed on posts that made it high enough stand under,and installed my bench underneath. It was also very discretely anchored to the wall:rolleyes:
It required a stepladder to get into bed though!
Contact IKEA--they stole your idea and sell them as "loft" beds now. :D

my 'bench' in the corner below the rooftop, and the just installed LED panel just fitting between the speakers at the ceiling. A huge amount of light, only 40 watts (inverter takes 47). The filament lamp is 100 watts...

I like to have schematics or pictures of how I took things apart, that is why a monitor is in the middle behind the workspace.

It is congested, but no more space available.

workbench.jpg ledhobbyroom.jpg

This is my speaker/stereo shed. It's my summer spot and my winter spot is in my room inside. The tools and equip are in other pictures on my SD card which aren't in this phone. I'll post in a bit so it's better to see what is going on. The TV is on that table on the floor but it really used to work on stuff cause it spins 360 for easier access.

Attachments

• received_10211058460248234.jpeg
    received_10211058460248234.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0701.jpg
    IMAG0701.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 67
This is my temp setup while I convert the old pre-addition single car garage in to a workshop. I'm doing a lot more SMD and tonearm work these days, hence the Mantis scope and fume extractor. Synthetic fluxes give me a headache that nothing will kill. The screen is for manuals, schematics, PC based test software, etc., though the odd Breaking Bad re-run breaks the monotony.

IMG_1742.jpg

Back
Top Bottom