Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

A bit of Japanese tonight...

Mozuku Soup and Sake-Shiitake Rice Bowl

I had sushi today, for lunch. I wanted their superb mozuku soup, but got stuffed, since it is not generally the season for it. I don't like to be disappointed, so I went on a quest. We have a fish-monger here in town, that gets fresh fish in twice per day. So I decided that I wanted sake (salmon) sashimi to go with my mozuku. As usual, I put my own spin on all things.

The mozuku soup is a light, clear broth with a mozuku (a special sea weed that has been specially prepared in a sweet vinegar sauce). First, I made a nice shiitake, kombu, katsuobushi dashi (broth). The kombu (kelp) and shiitake mushrooms were dehydrated so I re-hydrated them, adding katsuobushi (bonito flakes) to the resulting liquid. Once the dashi broth was ready, I added the mozuku (specifically shikuwasa ajitsuke mozukuu), mirin (sweet Japanese cooking wine), and mushroom-infused soy sauce. The results were served with fresh, sliced scallion.

In the rice bowl was fresh, wild sake (salmon), the re-hydrated shiitake mushrooms (from the dashi), mominori (roasted shredded seaweed), wasabi, and pickled ginger.

Dinner.jpg

soup.jpg

Dinner Close-Up.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Kiszka!

Got home last night and found a big ol box of meat on the front porch. Most of it went in the freezer, but I held out a ring each of kiszka and fresh sausage. Somebody pointed me to a place in Chicago (Polana Meats) that still makes the stuff ... the local supply dried out a while back. Good news ... they ship too.

Me happy! Best kiszka I've had in a long time! Rye bread, farmer's cheese, and a pickle are all it needs to make a meal.

kiszka.jpg

Cooked up just like it was supposed to as well. Drop it in a frying pan with a beer, and let it simmer till the casing cracks. Peel that off, and fry the stuff up a bit like you would corned beef hash. Very tasty!

Can't wait to try the fresh Polish sausage I got as well. There's about a hundred recipes for that, and be interesting to sample yet another variety. Boil it, bake it some, then serve with mustard and horseradish, and some potato and cheese pirogi on the side. Urp!

Last edited:
Asian inspired chicken soup. The broth was made with a duck carcass, onions, carrots, celery, ginger, star anise, lemon grass, Tien Tsin peppers, and a dash of Chinese 5 spice. The soup has chicken, carrots, pea pods, and Shitake mushrooms served over Chinese egg noodles.

-Dave

View attachment 825641

I like a soup that's thick enough to stand proud of the bowl and mound up in the middle ... :thumbsup:

And, the Polana Polish sausage, boiled and baked, with curly fries and onion rings.

polana-sausage.jpg

Firm, and cooks up nice, with natural casing. Won't say it's the best I've ever had (my ol' busia would come back and haunt me if I did) but it is right tasty, and an authentic Biala-Sorowa recipe for you purists out there. I can see me ordering from them again.

PS ... it's even better as leftovers, sliced and fried on buttered, toasted rye bread, with a bit of horseradish and mustard. :thumbsup:

So I have some kielbasa here for tonight. Tell me more about this boil and bake method. Hurry I'm hungry.

So I have some kielbasa here for tonight. Tell me more about this boil and bake method. Hurry I'm hungry.

Hope this is fast enough ... wouldn't want you wasting away, eh. <G>

I slow boil the sausage with salt for maybe 10 minutes to firm up the meat. Stab it a couple times to check progress - I go for about half cooked. Fork the meat a few times to release any pressure before removing the sausage from the water. Cut it to size, and brush a little oil on the sections, then put on a baking sheet at around 350 for maybe 20 minutes and serve. I also spray the sheet with Pam to keep it from sticking.

Little tip - if the natural casing peels back when you cut it, you boiled it too long. Adjust your time or heat next time.

Last edited:
Hope this is fast enough ... wouldn't want you wasting away, eh. <G>

I slow boil the sausage with salt for maybe 10 minutes to firm up the meat. Stab it a couple times to check progress - I go for about half cooked. Fork the meat a few times to release any pressure before removing the sausage from the water. Cut it to size, and brush a little oil on the sections, then put on a baking sheet at around 350 for maybe 20 minutes and serve. I also spray the sheet with Pam to keep it from sticking.

Little tip - if the natural casing peels back when you cut it, you boiled it too long. Adjust your time or heat next time.

Thanks for posting your method. I look forward to trying this.

-Dave

Big bbq counts more ... <G>

Best chili I've had in a while tonite ...

chinese-chili.jpg

... and it was an accident.

Call it cleaning out the pantry. Stew meat, tomatoes, Rotel, red beans, hot and sweet peppers, onions, and threw these in as well ...

frijoles-a-la-mexicana.png
41-S7POVmoL.SX218_SY300_CR,0,0,218,300_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_SX218_SY300_CR,0,0,218,300_SH20_.jpg

Gave it a bit of a kick, and a twist of sweet and sour. Very tasty!

EDIT >> Notice the LIMITED TIME only on the label - they weren't kidding. Only source I can find now is Amazon, and they're selling for about $7 a can.

Bean scalpers ... whooda thunk? <G>

Last edited:
Big bbq counts more ... <G>

Best chili I've had in a while tonite ...

... and it was an accident.

Call it cleaning out the pantry. Stew meat, tomatoes, red beans, hot and sweet peppers, onions, and threw these in as well ...

frijoles-a-la-mexicana.png
41-S7POVmoL.SX218_SY300_CR,0,0,218,300_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_SX218_SY300_CR,0,0,218,300_SH20_.jpg

Gave it a bit of a kick, and a twist of sweet and sour. Very tasty!

East meets West. What's not to like about that.

-Dave

The evolution of a steak.

PHASE ONE
This one was still mooing when I got to the corner butcher shop. Almost a pound and a half ... bite size!

steak-evolution-(1).jpg

PHASE TWO
Spiced, tenderized, and "resting" ... Daddy Hinkle's marinade, Java Jolt steak seasoning, and a light garlic wash. My favorite tenderizing tool? A pizza cutter works nice to work the spices into the meat.

steak-evolution-(2).jpg

PHASE THREE
I preheat the oven to 500F and BAKE the steak for maybe half the cooking time, then switch to the top burners to broil it. Super tender that way. Mushroom and onion topping, saute'd in garlic oil, baked potato w/chives and REAL butter.

steak-evolution-(3).jpg

PHASE FOUR
Not often a steak will make me say "uncle" ... the leftovers will make one tasty sandwich ...

steak-evolution-(4).jpg

Too early to show "phase five" and this IS a family forum anyway ... ;-}

Sunday I did up a nice pork butt (bone in) for some pulled pork.

With piles of left overs, I did up something different. Made 'patties' from pulled pork and left over homemade mac-n-cheese using some bbq sauce as the 'binder'. Let them firm up in the fridge.

12-18-16-pb-3.jpg

Then with copious dollops of butter I pan browned them in my cast iron skillet. Served on a burger bun with condiments of choice for the eater (I went for coleslaw).
12-18-16-pb-4.jpg

Pork tenderloins, roasted in a (mostly) Chinese style, served with baked sweet potato and apple sauce....simple and tasty !

With piles of left overs, I did up something different. Made 'patties' from pulled pork and left over homemade mac-n-cheese using some bbq sauce as the 'binder'. Let them firm up in the fridge.

Next time around, for something different, try mixing an egg or two into Stovetop stuffing for binder, then form those into buns and bake them.

I do that with hot dogs every now and then. I make "pans" with foil to shape the stuffing. Just press the dogs down into the top of the "buns" before they hit the oven. Cook till the surface is crisp. The meat will brown nicely as well, and just spread condiments on top.

* I think I might just do that with pulled pork ... matter of fact, I picked up some from the local butcher just the other day ... bring it on!

The evolution of a steak.

PHASE ONE
This one was still mooing when I got to the corner butcher shop. Almost a pound and a half ... bite size!

steak-evolution-(1).jpg

PHASE TWO
Spiced, tenderized, and "resting" ... Daddy Hinkle's marinade, Java Jolt steak seasoning, and a light garlic wash. My favorite tenderizing tool? A pizza cutter works nice to work the spices into the meat.

steak-evolution-(2).jpg

PHASE THREE
I preheat the oven to 500F and BAKE the steak for maybe half the cooking time, then switch to the top burners to broil it. Super tender that way. Mushroom and onion topping, saute'd in garlic oil, baked potato w/chives and REAL butter.

steak-evolution-(3).jpg

PHASE FOUR
Not often a steak will make me say "uncle" ... the leftovers will make one tasty sandwich ...

steak-evolution-(4).jpg

Too early to show "phase five" and this IS a family forum anyway ... ;-}

Nice marbling on that steak. A fine looking dinner.

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom