Fast Food joints RIP

Condorsat

Audio Enthusiast
How about listing some Fast Food restaurants that went out of business ... that had a
unique taste to their food.

Some of the ones I remember ...

Burger Chef ... as I recall ... the burgers didn't taste like McD or Burger King. I think they became Hardees but that did not taste like the Chef ... as I recall.

335px-Burger_Chef_front_view.JPEG.jpg

Red Barn ... as I recall they had unique tasting chicken ... not like Kentucky Fried or Famous Recipe.

th

You can still see some of their old buildings around ... look like the picture below.

250px-Mr_Sub_in_Barn_on_Dundas_East%2C_Mississauga.jpg

It has been many years, but I remember this place from my childhood in South Dakota. They were once a chain in that area.

lil_duffer_ad_1980_haysville_map.jpg

Anybody remember Arctic Circle? Great burgers with a special sauce and a special fry dipping sauce that was delicious.

Doodleburgers, here in San Diego. Great fries and the burgers were decent too, had a couple locations at least. Boll Weevil's another one but I think there's one still open somewhere local.

John

Weiner Schnitzel. I helped wired up one once when I was an apprentice electrician. Fast food hot dogs didn't make it as far as I can tell.

The fast-food mega operations (McD`s, Burger King, etc.) emerged around 1967 in my area....prior to that, we had White Castle ("Ratburgers"), Stewart`s (still around), and A&W (long gone). We also had the Adventure Car Hop, on the center island of Route 22 in Union, NJ, where some serious street racing took place on most Friday and Saturday nights....

upload_2016-12-21_20-39-7.png

We had a little burger chain here called Grubee's which was started by the guy that brought KFC to town (They were called Champ's Kentucky Fried Chicken here).

Different concept for the time - fresh made burgers that you would add fixings yourself at the fixin's buffet. They were down the street from where I was working in 1978 so I was a frequent customer, but they didn't last long.

http://johndobbin.blogspot.ca/2010/12/champs-kentucky-fried-chicken-grubees.html

I miss Kentucky Fried Chicken, whatever it is that survives is not like it used to be, the batter is different, different slaw and biscuits..wth happened.
A couple post up mention Shakeys, we used to have..it was very good.

I remember Shakey's Pizza being in Huntsville, Alabama when I was a kid. They had player pianos playing or old Three Stooges episodes running. I don't recall if the pizza was any good but I always had fun.

Weiner Schnitzel. I helped wired up one once when I was an apprentice electrician. Fast food hot dogs didn't make it as far as I can tell.

Still have Der Weinerschnitzel here in California.

dwtastee.jpg

Local Jerry's Dogs and Berkeley Dogs have both gone belly up in the last 2 years, both gourmet dogs places that just didn't hit with customers although they were decent.

I remember Shakey's Pizza being in Huntsville, Alabama when I was a kid. They had player pianos playing or old Three Stooges episodes running. I don't recall if the pizza was any good but I always had fun.

Going to Shakey's was an event when I was a kid.

They had windows to the kitchen where you could watch your pizza being made.

They had a banjo player and a piano player at night. They'd spool up cartoon filmstrips during their breaks. There was a player piano off to the side, but I only recall it being used afternoons when the live musicians weren't there.

Shakey's opened two more locations in Pensacola when I was in high school. Those were more conventional pizza joints with only a juke box for entertainment.

I loved their pizza and still count it as my second favorite of all the pizza I've tried although I haven't had any in the 25 or so years since they all disappeared from my town.

Back
Top Bottom