Vintage Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys!!

I was too young in the 60's, but was in my teens in the 70's where I believe we never got the 60 degree V6 just like the US didn't.
I guess emission regs. pretty much gave us what the US got for Ford anyway from then on. I do have a 94 T-Bird with the Essex
90 degree 3.8. I only got into Fords in recent years as they stuck with RWD in the 90's and so no str. 6's.

The older British cars were very few in the North and pretty well gone by the 70's. There is still the odd one around so I've heard,
but haven't seen one being run in many years.

Some of you might remember the Capri which was a German Ford sold by Mercury dealers. Mine was a 1973 2600cc 4 speed and it was one of the first if not the first V-6 powered cars sold in the US.

It was my first good handling car and I recall having to replace the clutch within the first year. Too many tire chirps. :oops:

dev_grimm003.jpg

Owned one as well, same year. A feature I've never seen in any other car was that fold out lamp on the passenger side A pillar.

Owned one as well, same year. A feature I've never seen in any other car was that fold out lamp on the passenger side A pillar.
I've had 3. A '71 2.0L, '72 and '73 2600's, all of them 4-speed. Do you remember the floor-mounted windshield washer?

No. Don't recall that.
On all 3 of my Capri's, this was mounted on the floor to the left of the clutch pedal (although I remember mine having a chrome outer ring rather than black). The outer ring actuated the wipers and the inner "button" was a manual washer pump. Used to freak out my passengers that I could command the windshield wipers On without removing my hands from the wheel.

capri.JPG

Dave

The Panther Platform is the last American body on frame passenger car. My 2008 Crown Vic is not vintage but the green house and doors were first seen in the 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Flathead V-12 Music...

Those shared exhaust ports make a distinct note. A bigger, better version of Henry's Flathead V-8;)

Back
Top Bottom