Fast Food joints RIP

Pioneer Chicken.

tumblr_lwf88nrLHf1r8vktho1_1280.jpg

image.jpeg

I miss the Dee's Drive ins with the giant clowns. There is still Dee's Family Restaurant, but it's not the same. Not too far away from where I live is an old Dee's that is now a Pizza Hut.

I live in the hotbed of fast food test markets and startups -- central Ohio. Current home to Wendy's and White Castle. (Also Donato's Pizza and Bob Evans.)

Rax Restaurants was around for awhile, and later bought by Wendy's. Tim Horton's was with Wendy's for awhile stateside, then spun apart I think, and then purchased by Burger King mainly for out-of-USA tax reasons. Tim's is still going strong, though.

Now defunct institutions include Big Bite (fast-food pita-based sandwiches, veggie fare, and healthy eating that was a decade too early) and GD Ritzys, home of the gourmet $5 peanut butter and jelly sandwich (which was great) and also great burgers.

And new on the probably-soon-to-be-defunct list is Holy Chicken!, a cage-free, range-fed chix outlet recently started here by none other than Morgan Spurlock, of 'Supersize Me' docu-meatery fame.

I'm sure there have been, and will be more.

Chip

I miss Kentucky Fried Chicken, whatever it is that survives is not like it used to be, the batter is different, different slaw and biscuits..wth happened.

Have you seen the Colonel's skinless thighs?
(Have you seen his dead staring eyes?)

The new "colonel" of the month commercials freak me out. Waiting for Zombie Colonel to show up ...

Couple locals that used to litter the area and disappeared a while back.

2c44fa99a106c622d9a51e8e12200248.jpg
304188b6d27bc2792028ce09c4c14edc.jpg

Regular customer at both back in the day. Good stick to yer ribs kinda chow ...

Last edited:
Doodleburgers, here in San Diego. Great fries and the burgers were decent too, had a couple locations at least. Boll Weevil's another one but I think there's one still open somewhere local.

John
The one in Ramona is still there. Just passed it when we drove up to Julian a couple of weekends ago.

And there is one in Kearny Mesa that I think is still there.

Last edited:
Anyone remember the Little Tavern chain in the DC area?

I grew up in College Park, and my dad would sometimes bring home a bag of burgers and fries for dinner.

We had one of these around here.

Carrolls_Restaurant.jpg

...and one of these....

*Apparently several Pal's are still in operation today - and are around Kingsport TN.

pals_kingsport_1_040410.jpg

The new "colonel" of the month commercials freak me out. Waiting for Zombie Colonel to show up ...

No I have not, been a good 6 months since I have dared go to one..they are now conglomerated with Taco Bell..I do like the double down.
They will resurrect to original Harland Sanders for the zombie spot.

Thought of another local joint..Captain Georges, was a paddlewheeler riverboat on land..wish I could find a pic.

Totally with you on this one. Pretty sure Norm McDonald as the Colonel was mentioned in Revelation..lol. They creep me out like the Burger King guy does.

How about listing some Fast Food restaurants that went out of business ... that had a
unique taste to their food.

Some of the ones I remember ...

Burger Chef ... as I recall ... the burgers didn't taste like McD or Burger King. I think they became Hardees but that did not taste like the Chef ... as I recall.

335px-Burger_Chef_front_view.JPEG.jpg

Red Barn ... as I recall they had unique tasting chicken ... not like Kentucky Fried or Famous Recipe.

th

You can still see some of their old buildings around ... look like the picture below.

250px-Mr_Sub_in_Barn_on_Dundas_East%2C_Mississauga.jpg
That brings back memories of my years in New Philadelphia. Elby's, L&K restaurants-all you could eat perch fish. To add one-Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips
arthurfish_img01.jpg

Last edited:

That's really interesting. I remember when Marriott bought Gino's, they were all closed or repurposed, except for one remaining franchisee near Glen Burnie who was allowed to remain open for a few years. Interesting that one's still in GB, although I don't think it's where the other one was.

Anyone remember the Little Tavern chain in the DC area?

I grew up in College Park, and my dad would sometimes bring home a bag of burgers and fries for dinner.

Ah, "Club LT" as we called it in high school, home of the Deathburger. "Buy 'em by the bag!"

Cheers,
Larry B.

That brings back memories of my years in New Philadelphia. Elby's, L&K restaurants-all you could eat perch fish. To add one-Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips
arthurfish_img01.jpg

L&K's were my second home during my youth ... knew everybody by their fist name back then.

Arthur Treacher ... one of my buddies (in the 70's) use to use half a bottle of malt vinegar on his fish ... every time we stopped there.

Eventually when I lived in the UK ... I stopped by a Fish & Chips shop. Told them I wanted some malt vinegar. They gave me the British ... WHAT? (add accent) ... I pointed to it on the shelf ... what's that? ... They said "That's a condiment" .. Okay give me a bottle of the condiment. The Fish & Chips were awesome ... good stuff.

, Ohio
Casey%27s-ad-1969.jpg

The one on Liberty Avenue was the first fast food place I can remember in my life. I can't find a picture from the 60s...there was a neon sign in the shape of a baseball with the batter on it if I remember correctly. It was replaced by a Burger Chef then a Rax and it might be the current Starbucks. The Burger King in Vermilion was built right next to it sometime in the late 80s or 90s. It is the first place I can remember eating French Fries. Seems to have been a Lorain County, Ohio chain.

Another Baltimore classic...one of the earliest:37f502d24743ddd323d9fa23f75e1f7b.jpg

"Meetcha at Ameche's"

Also, the Varsity Drive-In, Rt.40 and Rolling Rd. IIRC.

Cheers,
Larry B.

Back
Top Bottom