Last Best Thing I Heard on My McIntosh

Speaking of 'Hallelujah', this Christmas CD by the a capella group Pentatonix sounds stunning. The stage is huge, deep, and powerful.

My 225 arrived about a week ago. Surpassed my expectations, wonderful little thing. That amp with my 110Z into 63 Khorns has been playing Talking Heads '77.Pretty much wore out True Stories before that. Darn good recordings.

Went to my favorite/local hifi shop, Command AV, to shoot some stuff and see what is around. I've been thinking about Focal Sopra's so they twisted my arm into listening some more. I walked away unscathed for now.... but when I got home I brought up What's It All About by Pat Metheney

streamed through Sonos---> Music Fid DAC ----> CJ PV 7 tube pre ----->MC2205 (requisite Mc gear for post) to my recapped Rect III's. Astounding detail and soundstage. Not quite Focal but quite good.

Christopher Denny - If The Roses Don't Kill Us - Partisan Records

Normaly, this kind of music is not the Music I listen normaly (Rock and more mainstream) ... but on my McIntosh System this sounds great - so great that I listen
this CD for long time regular 2 or 3 time in a week.

Greetings Frank

This Artist is to me total unknow (in Europe, Germany?!). So it was a random found to me! My be he is well know in US and I do take "Owls to Athens". ;-)

Speaking of 'Hallelujah', this Christmas CD by the a capella group Pentatonix sounds stunning. The stage is huge, deep, and powerful.

Hallelujah is also done great by Jeff Buckley. Pentonix and steamroller covers are great there are studio and live versions with the late great Jeff's guitar and his voice that you both can't miss. Yes those recordings will take you on the time machine ride.

Last edited:
Hallelujah is also done great by Jeff Buckley. Pentonix and steamroller covers are great there are studio and live versions with the late great Jeff's guitar and his voice that you both can't miss. Yes those recordings will take you on the time machine ride.

Agreed. I prefer this studio version I found of Jeff's cover on the tube. By the way, there are apparently 28 original verses and this has an additional verse (3:27) not included in most other covers.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]

Mortis,

Thank you for sharing this CD from Pentatonix with everyone. I listened to the link you provided and was REALLY impressed.

I immediately ordered it from Amazon & it arrived today. My wife and I think it is an absolutely phenomenal sounding recording with a spectacular soundstage! :beerchug:

Many thanks again for opening us up to this group & this album. You have very good taste in music! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Many thanks again for opening us up to this group & this album. You have very good taste in music! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Thank you sir

Many good suggestions from everyone here. Keep 'em coming.

If you can get into electro-industrial this is a real sonic experience, again with a deep, wide and powerful stage, and will give your system a workout. It begs to be cranked ;)
The founder of this band 'Front Line Assembly, is also a member of Skinny Puppy but I prefer FLA.

Do I Love You use you Beautiful? John Coltrane Fearless leader Box Set. About 2 minutes in the producer just nails the mix. Be patient

Sheffield and Reference Recording analog albums. Direct to disc LP's are always a surprise. Some Telarc CD and SACD. Live recordings I made myself. But some times movie sound tracks can almost be unbelievable they are so clear and clean. And I'm not talking about the sound effects.

Sheffield and Reference Recording analog albums. Direct to disc LP's are always a surprise. Some Telarc CD and SACD. Live recordings I made myself. But some times movie sound tracks can almost be unbelievable they are so clear and clean. And I'm not talking about the sound effects.
I agree with movie sountracks. Problem the music usually comes in short snippets on most movies.

To get the best sound stage with the best separation you'd have to go with an older original recording that used microphone mixers while recording. Recording a song in one take like orchestras do contributes to better imaging as long as the microphones were set up right. Many sixties albums were recorded in this manner that had superior imaging....

Brazil 66; Mas Que Nada

Back
Top Bottom