mc2205 mc2255 replacement lamp with LED

handyguy

Wondering if anyone can provide links to recent LED replacements that were a success (color, fit and brightness) in their amps. There are many listings on ebay/amazon/aliexpress for these things. Quite inexpensive parts can be found. First the basics:
The main plug-in bulbs are for the meters (8 needed) and are specified as GE259 6.3v wedge base 250ma
The others are for the controls (4 needed) and are specified as 1866 6.3v T3 bayonet 250ma
I presume these are all AC voltage?

Can anyone identify their recent successful orders/part numbers and suppliers? I also presume we are looking for warm white?

Thanks for any help!

Hello handyguy
welcome on AK
I will strongly recommend you to not use LED instead original lamp type. Color temp is not the same at all and if you read all my previous post about this you will understand why . Don't copy silly habit to make like "the other"
The specs you found are perfect . No mistake .
Yes they are all AC voltage

I get your theory on keeping the Mac all original. This one was already modded in a couple ways. Regarding bulbs, it seems clear the heat damages the colored filters and warps the meter cover. Also the 1866 bulbs don't seem to be made anymore. Replacement 755's are dimmer, and the filament is mounted lower, so that part of the panel remains dim. It's also a reversible mod, so I don't feel too bad doing it...

Last edited:
As much as an "originality" proponent as I am, I ultimately made the decision to swap the original incandescent lamps in my (2) MC2125s and MC2155 amplifiers to LEDs.

The reasons are A, because I got tired of flickering lamps as they became older as well as on peak musical passages; B, in order to match the blue light of all three amplifiers (extremely difficult and tedious to accomplish this by swapping gels); C, incandescent lamps positively fry the meter housing shell & board! Virtually no heat with LEDs.

LEDs have a much longer lifespan, plus the benefit of making older equipment look like newer McIntosh in the bargain.

Last edited:
The mentioned amps all use different lamps.......

If you want the correct color meters the LEDs need different gels installed to match.

The small meter light box used for the MC2125/2155 has always been damaged by the fuse type lamps that they use.

I have seen bayonet type LEDs but not the 259 style used in the MC2255.

Mouser has 1109 #1866 lamps in stock.

The mentioned amps all use different lamps.......

If you want the correct color meters the LEDs need different gels installed to match.

With the blue LEDs I used, color consistency between the amplifiers is just about perfect. They practically "override" the gels, surprising as that may seem.

With the blue LEDs, the original pale blue of this generation will be lost.

Ordering a $1 bulb from mouser would probably end up costing me $25 for shipping. My local electronics parts store only stocks the 755 :-(

These are the type I installed on the MC2125s & MC2155. They look great. 6 lamps (x3) cost $45.00 with shipping.

CAVEAT...not all Mc panel/meter illumination uses the same voltage. Verify application (ie: MC2255 - meters) with the seller(s) before purchasing. They'll usually have the answer.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Longtime forum member DGWOJO sells extremely long life bulbs for most, if not all vintage gear. I have used his products to relamp Pioneer, Sansui and Mac gear. Dave is honest and sells excellent products. I recommend him highly. His site is:
http://www.dgwojo.com.

The tube style lamps are not used on the 2205/2255. dgwojo only sells incandescent, and I would like to avoid the heat damage these cause.

The tube style lamps are not used on the 2205/2255. dgwojo only sells incandescent, and I would like to avoid the heat damage these cause.

Sadly I just had come to that realization just after I had taken some shots of my amplifiers with the LED replacements. :(

Here they are all the same for anyone else contemplating LED replacement in the 2125/2155 series. I must add that photographing black glass McIntosh is a serious challenge for the amateur so bear in mind the results are MUCH better in person.

In any case, there is an LED replacement kit on eBay for the meters on the MC2255, Item # 192021395934

s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 110
Can the meter light illumination of a 2205 be made to match the meter light illumination of a more current McIntosh unit (eg: 601 amp, 2300 pre,)?

Can the meter light illumination of a 2205 be made to match the meter light illumination of a more current McIntosh unit (eg: 601 amp, 2300 pre,)?

Suggest checking with the seller of the item# number above to see if the meter bulbs in the MC2205 replacement kit are blue.

Hi - The link above is returning a 500 error. Is he still supplying the bulbs?

I am going to redo the lights on my 2205 as a couple of meter bulbs are out as is the PG light. Thanks in advance for part #

Hi - The link above is returning a 500 error. Is he still supplying the bulbs?

I am going to redo the lights on my 2205 as a couple of meter bulbs are out as is the PG light. Thanks in advance for part #

Try this one. 192057183424

LED bulbs can often be ordered pretty inexpensively from China, but who knows how they will turn out once they get here. I have ordered a cheap set, and I will let you know how that works out.

Got both warm and cold bulbs; the cold look nicer (and bluer.) They are a tight fit in the sockets and the old plastic around the sockets is brittle and prone to breaking off, although the electrical contacts remain functional.

Now I have to replace one of the 7381 bulbs that just burnt out. Two of these tiny bi-pin bulbs light up the Mcintosh logo. Oh well.

Last edited:
Got the 7381 bulbs in 2 days from digikey, in and soldered. The faceplate lights up real nice now; the only issue is the Mac Logo has bright spots where the bulbs are. Have to play around with the diffuser. May have been that way from the factory.
The meters look great - the blown blue/white hi-lights are just camera limitations.
I would like to get the meter light case replacement that someone is 3d printing for the Mac, but they are super expensive. Maybe I'll get myself a 3d printer!

Attachments

• IMG_20170419_092344.jpg
    IMG_20170419_092344.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom