How About a Beginner Turntable Sub Forum?

How About a Beginner Turntable Sub Forum?

• Turntables < Leave As Is

Votes: 36 39.1%
  • Turntable Starters Forum, < Getting Your Feet Wet

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Turntables, < Stepping Up You Game

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Records, < Buying, Masterings, Storage and Cleaning Care.

Votes: 29 31.5%

• Total voters

4-2-7

Smart Ass
Sponsor
It just seems to me the amount of new members coming here to learn and ask question, the same questions about turntables should have an easy place to find answers. It would make it easy for them to look at the same question a previous member asked that relates to them, post in that forum new threads for their specific question, and for us to respond with links for them to view the answers presented by many members over time.

It would also make the main turntable forum not as cluttered for more technical aspects, and sharing builds and setups topics that a new to the hobby might not have interest in yet saving confusion.

I like to help the new too, as much as possible, but when the same question is in 4-5 new threads a day it gets to much. I'll look and say well someone else will get that one and pass the buck.

I would also recommend a Record specific sub forum for Buying, Masterings, Storage and Cleaning Care. This really doesn't relate to turntables other than needing one to play it. It also doesn't fit well in the Music forum as there is many formats that music is on. Again here new members ask a lot of the same questions because they can't see other threads on the topics.

As it is now it's hard to see and find any of those three topics within the turntable forum. With the advent of so many new to the vinyl resurgence learning would be better served if they had a better layout.
Turntables < Leave As Is
Turntable Starters Forum, < Getting Your Feet Wet
Turntables, < Stepping Up You Game
Records, < Buying, Masterings, Storage and Cleaning Care.

Ok you get multiple voting here and my titles are nothing more than a way to divide the voting and have no weight as to naming a forum.

How about a sub-sub or a sticky on some possible maintenance/troubleshooting/calibration? More than likely anyone here would either have bought, or will be steered toward, buying vintage.

How about a sub-sub or a sticky on some possible maintenance/troubleshooting/calibration? More than likely anyone here would either have bought, or will be steered toward, buying vintage.
Well the thing is there is so many new post asking advice on what to buy, new or old, whats good to buy, how do I set my table up. This is about half of the TT forum activity.

Hiya,

I would be more inclined to think that instead of limiting folks to just TT's maybe create a catch all forum for "All" "Newbie" questions.

Then maybe within that put sub categories and even some stickies could be moved to it.

Frannie

Well the thing is there is so many new post asking advice on what to buy, new or old, whats good to buy, how do I set my table up. This is about half of the TT forum activity.

That's what I mean. Just an expansion of your original idea. I think all of this would be beneficial, if people use it.

Hiya,

I would be more inclined to think that instead of limiting folks to just TT's maybe create a catch all forum for "All" "Newbie" questions.

Then maybe within that put sub categories and even some stickies could be moved to it.

Frannie
Kinda like the new to the forum and new to audio learning center.
Intro,
rules,
how to get started buying audio
How to clean you new vintage gear and maintenance.
Learning how to use a turntable
Record care and cleaning

I voted.

This would even be a good subforum on the regular TT forum

"Records, < Buying, Masterings, Storage and Cleaning Care."

The only problem I see is that very few newbies navigate the site for answers of any sort. They just ask away. Look at how many stickies they are ( Deoxit for one) but yet still many basic questions and sometimes by veteran users.
Would a new sub-forum help perhaps for a select few, but not a whole lot.

Voted. Seems to me that turntables have become more complicated rather than less. Back in the day when I was assembling my first system, I just bought the one that seemed to go with the rest of the stuff. It was a Technics linear tracker.

Now, thirty years later, I'm looking at getting back into it, all I seem to find is warnings about what not to buy.

No Bang and Olufsen - Can't get cartridges (really?)
No direct drive - because they're garbage (wow)
Nothing under $750 - because anything under that figure is a pile of crap (hmm)
No Rega - because low-torque motors (I don't want to use it as a starter for a Harley)
No vintage
No new

and on it goes. Surely there is something that I can buy for a reasonable figure that will make a decent noise without destroying my records.

So, yes, any and all advice is VERY welcome.

I'm bumping this because it's only getting more needed every month. We need a place where brand new members can find the info they need easily. Not only are they very new to the site, they may not know the absolute basics of record care, turntable setup and pretty common questions about playback.

Everything is such a hodge podge and gets lost in the turntable forum I think the above sections outlined above will help everyone. Even the voting shows it's wanted and needed.

It takes about a week for topics to be completely forgotten, it seems, even after intense discussion. I don't see that dynamic changing on yet another forum.

The 2 leading, I voted for. Both make sense. I see tons of turntable questions. Buying/Set-up/Carts, Etc. Go for it Dan

I've researched a bunch and I believe turntables should be bought by how it's used. For me I want automatic with controls on the front so I can close the cover. For me it had to have a replaceable cartridge in case I wanted to upgrade. I understand what audiophiles are after but for every day usage a good quality table with a respectable cartridge. I went with the Audio Technica AT-LP120 after looking at Denon and Fluance. I can't hear any difference between belt and direct. I understand direct is supposed to have truest speed.

Also the question most people want to know is where do I put it there is no phono input. Simple, if turntable has built in amp, go to any open red/white available ( I use blue ray ) and your table plays there. If turntable does not simply run into a phono pre amp and then to an available open red/white like I did with the blue ray ( mine runs by HDMI) so the plug is open on my Marantz.

My first turntable was a Dual, then went to a JVC belt with MarkIII ( ADC?) cartridge, the Audio Technica 60, now 120 and like I said my ears can"t tell the difference between belt and direct ( except at very high volume I hear a little rumble on belt drive)

Back
Top Bottom