Sony PlayStation 1 - Interesting

Well I managed to find in a local charity shop a PlayStation 1 SCPH 1001. I'll post some pics soon and it will be interesting to compare with my later variant model sans phonos.
I'll say it again - I really shouldn't keep going to these charity shops!

Well I managed to finally get round to do some listening to the scph 1001. Very nice... there is something rather beguiling about it"s presentation - nothing forced, relaxed but detailed. One of those pieces of equipment you don't keep trying different tracks with just listen through whole cds because it's enjoyable.
As always embarrassing pictures of my Heath Robinson set up...it wasn't always this way but marital harmony meant a loss of permanent hi-fi home. :-(IMG_20161121_155855761_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161121_155708389_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161121_155708389_HDR.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 16
Well over Christmas I managed to listen much more to the scph1001 - it confirms my early opinion on it's abilities. It is really a very good CD player, without exception. It was a more compelling listen than the Philips 850 I picked up recently and a Marantz 6005.

Making use of my PS SPCH 1001 with a Older Onkyo HT Reciever and the H.H.Scott S10 in the Living Room. The Christmas Music was a Hit with the Wife and Kids.
Not a lot of Difference between the PS 1001 and my Denon CDR-1500 and Denon DVM-3700 DVR. Though have to add a bit more volume with the PS.

Opus

I see some of you are still using that awkward wired controller. Do yourself a favor and pick up a PS2 remote and receiver which works fine with the PS1.

The small IF receiver plugs into the front of the PS1 and gives control of stop, start, and next track.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS2-REMOTE-CONTROLLER-SCPH-10150-Receiver-Playstation-Sony-Official-Japan-Game/302035900476?_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226&_trkparms=aid=555014&algo=PL.DEFAULT&ao=1&asc=38530&meid=4fbc0da9f551404db1d3afdfa247ed40&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&
Take look at page 3
This link also broken
JJ

The controller and lack of visual data was a downside.
This.

It reminds me of using an old IPod Shuffle. Surely there is some easy DIY mod/add-on where you could get a mini-LCD to see what track you were playing, without having to hook the thing up to a TV.

This.

It reminds me of using an old IPod Shuffle. Surely there is some easy DIY mod/add-on where you could get a mini-LCD to see what track you were playing, without having to hook the thing up to a TV.

Hit the remote three times and you'll get track three. I play my CD's so much I know where every song is located.

While I understand what Steve is saying about no visual data, I will never understand the rancor some feel at us praising this little toy.

To me it is like black and white photographs. Are they the end-all in visual? No, but they have a charm. Both my SCHP-1001 (later ps mini laser assembly, rad paint and rubber feet, but otherwise stock) and my modded 5501 are quite charming, and easy on my tired ears.

And the sound that comes out of these is definitely not black and white. For the record, I also have some far more expensive cdp's (marantz, yamaha CDX-1100u, rotel) and I enjoy these for their different qualities.

While I understand what Steve is saying about no visual data, I will never understand the rancor some feel at us praising this little toy.

To me it is like black and white photographs. Are they the end-all in visual? No, but they have a charm. Both my SCHP-1001 (later ps mini laser assembly, rad paint and rubber feet, but otherwise stock) and my modded 5501 are quite charming, and easy on my tired ears.

And the sound that comes out of these is definitely not black and white. For the record, I also have some far more expensive cdp's (marantz, yamaha CDX-1100u, rotel) and I enjoy these for their different qualities.
Playstation ability to read red book at time it first came out was bleeding edge technology and it is STILL obvious how good
I do not care what other people say about it
Still fine sounding machine
Only problem is to find GOOD QUALITY lasers if you need one
JJ

I'd probably try one if I found one cheap, but the upper end multimedia dvd players being dumped for blu ray were a much better deal and far more versatile.

Thanks for the suggestion Poultrygeist! I purchased one of the PS2 remotes for my 1001. It works flawlessly. I really love the sound of this player. Everyone should try one of these if you can find them.
Good to see people still singing the praises of the PS. Where can I get a remote in UK?

Back
Top Bottom