The Yamaha A-S2100

Shame a few of you are experiencing turn on thumps. It seems this is a common issue among others with the as2100. I am really debating between this and the Rega Elicit. Both seems well made and eager to sound like music. I'm curious where you guys bought yours from as there seems to be a specific seller on that auction site who always has them for a very good price compared to other retailers. I'm torn here.
Hi StevenZ,
I have had my unit for nearly two-months and I do not have any problems with it. It works like it should. I'd recommend an audition and purchase from a reputable dealer. I'd be leary about buying from an auction site.

has anyone given the MC a workout. I run MM and dont have a good MC cart anymore. I played with the switch and the MC output is way LESS ... which perplexes me. Would have expected it to loud/distorted with a MM cart not quiet. The MC output is halved at least.

If anyone is looking for a decent set of speakers without breaking the bank then I can recommend Celestion ditton 33 speakers.

I picked some up for £180 and they are a perfect match for the Yamaha!

My £1450 kudos x2 are no match!

These speakers really sound amazing with this amp!

all nice items, the CD player is the one I lust for and in fact were mine to keel over would likely purchase. Your opinion will be valuable. I'd like to hear the difference between the 2100 and my little 500. Only 10 watts more, but the circuitry is supposed to be spectacularly good, and I'm damned pleased with the cheaper little brother!
Resurrection.....I just upgraded from the yam 801 to the 2100, and it's just a different universe altogether. Phenomenal. Bass quality is stunning. It's simply astonishing how much better it is. If you can afford it, do it without hesitation. It's so good

Congrats!
I'm saving my lunch money for this. hopefully it is still in production by the time I can afford it
From what I read, the vintage ca2010 is very similar...except with 30w class A. I don't know if the as2100 runs in class A as its not stated in the specs, but I assume it must at least for a few watts as the thing is 50+lbs and does run a bit warmer than my 801.

Check this review out in its entirety:

In short, this guy figures they are pretty much identical with the exception that the as2100 has a much better headphone amp.

I just saw a completely refurbished ca2010 in Ontario Canada for 950bucks. Gone now though. Something to think about anyway. I very nearly went this route.

Last edited:
Resurrection.....I just upgraded from the yam 801 to the 2100, and it's just a different universe altogether. Phenomenal. Bass quality is stunning. It's simply astonishing how much better it is. If you can afford it, do it without hesitation. It's so good
lol. I think I upgraded my sig, but I moved up to a Naim SuperNait2, yes, another level. Still the little AS500 drives an older pair of ADS speakers down in the VA Shore house!

From an audiophile in Texas. I found this at amazon reviews. I do own the A-S2000. It's great and for the current prices,untouchable!
There are some differences the meters the remote lets you control bass and treble. Maybe some other differences but not in the circuit. Just want people to know. There is a gentleman her that rated the 2100 over the 2000 not true. How do I know? I have a friend who owns an audio shop Yamaha reps confirm. Also I personally opened up both exactly the same. People should know what they are talking about before posting when they don't know.

From an audiophile in Texas. I found this at amazon reviews. I do own the A-S2000. It's great and for the current prices,untouchable!
There are some differences the meters the remote lets you control bass and treble. Maybe some other differences but not in the circuit. Just want people to know. There is a gentleman her that rated the 2100 over the 2000 not true. How do I know? I have a friend who owns an audio shop Yamaha reps confirm. Also I personally opened up both exactly the same. People should know what they are talking about before posting when they don't know.

Your English is a little suspect so its hard to tell what you are saying. But the 2000 and 2100 are NOT THE SAME ... at all. They are very different and this can be seen at a glance let alone a good open eyed look.. Why are you posting nonsense?

This is not my review of the A-S2100 but merely a copy of what was written by a reviewer from Texas. I simply copied and pasted what was said and am open to any response. If this particular review is inaccurate than by all means let's correct it. I do know that often times companies will make minimal changes to a product and introduce it as a much better model with minimal differences. This is common or they could not continue to make profit. Also, just because something may sound slightly different we are supposed to assume it is better. Different is different, not necessarily better. This has been the game in audio forever. One reviewer says he owned both the A-S2000 and the A-S2100. He could not say the 2100 was indeed better but was slightly different. Any system is an amalgamation of many components.Plus everyone hears differently and has a different response to any given piece of gear etc. I always tell audiophiles that if you want to improve your system the first thing to do is EAT LESS CHEESE and start hearing better.

Maestro, Welcome to AK. I was puzzled by your post on Dec 13. I couldn't figure out what you were trying to say. Thanks for the clarification.

May I suggest that in the future, if you want to quote what someone has said, please use quotation marks.

This is not my review of the A-S2100 but merely a copy of what was written by a reviewer from Texas. I simply copied and pasted what was said and am open to any response. If this particular review is inaccurate than by all means let's correct it. I do know that often times companies will make minimal changes to a product and introduce it as a much better model with minimal differences. This is common or they could not continue to make profit. Also, just because something may sound slightly different we are supposed to assume it is better. Different is different, not necessarily better. This has been the game in audio forever. One reviewer says he owned both the A-S2000 and the A-S2100. He could not say the 2100 was indeed better but was slightly different. Any system is an amalgamation of many components.Plus everyone hears differently and has a different response to any given piece of gear etc. I always tell audiophiles that if you want to improve your system the first thing to do is EAT LESS CHEESE and start hearing better.

You copied and pasted an Amazon review? In that posting you said they were opened up and the same inside. This is way beyond mistake, mishap etc. This is spreading nonsense and misinformation and odds no value whatsoever this forum. NO matter what your motive, if you are copy/pasting here from someone elses amazon review .... thats just abusive.

I never said any of this and you have misunderstood completely. This is what someone else had claimed and said they had opened the units up for comparison. If you read my complete paragraph I said this should be cleared up if it is mis-information. I was only surprised to see that someone with apparent connections to Yamaha would make such a claim.

I found this thread via search and it was one reason in my giving the a-s2100 Yamaha a try. I had actually had the a-s1100 a few months ago but sent it back as it was a remanufactured unit but something wasn't quite right in my system. And it had a rather heavy and odd aroma that wasn't dissipating as quickly as I thought it should.

The (new) Yamaha a-s2100 just arrived two days ago and so far I'm very impressed. I am using two Velodyne powered subs hooked up via the a-s2100 tape out into a Nakamichi CA-5 preamp to supply separate controllable gain for the subs.

Previously I had been using 1959 vintage Altec 604 drivers (in the same cabinets) and various tube and SS amps. Sounded pretty good overall but wanted to experiment further. Also a little tired of the various rats nest cabling and extra box gyrations I had to go through to get everything to work together.

About 9 months ago I got a wild hair and ordered the Great Plains Audio 604 driver pair. Went from 16 ohm to 8 ohm which I thought would also allow a bit more correct amp match. They also have a new dividing network with low and high being separately adjustable.

Well, I could never could get the 300b or el34 tubes to drive them right. I then tried a modest 80 watt powered SS integrated. Better. But... I still felt the new GPA's weren't happy. They were a little fatiguing and never quite clicked with any of the amps I had on hand. I had spent years getting the old 604C to integrate properly. I finally decided to bite the bullet and see if bigger power and higher damping would do the trick.

I plugged the Yamaha in yesterday, and even tho it's only been a short time with the new amp I am seeing huge gains in sound quality from these GPA 604 drivers from the previous amps. Deep bass is much deeper, bass and lower midrange are all much more defined and tuneful.

The midrange voice is liquid, smooth and relaxed when needed. A powerful presence without being shouty.

The upper mids and HF are clean and clear without inducing ear fatigue- which had been a problem. It was obvious gains have been made in speaker control. More power and a higher damping factor I am sure have helped create better synergy with the modern GPA 604.

I had to spend some time tuning the mid and tweeter dividing network with the new amp. Also tow-in and sub integration.

When I left it earlier today I felt it on an exemplary path and can hardly wait to see how the amp breaks in. I also know a bit more fine tuning is inevitable, but wow- so far I am getting the best sound in several years from my source components and the new GPA drivers with the a-s2100.

A solid bonus is the very good built in phono and headphone amp with trim level. This really cut down on cabling and extra boxes.

Very happy with this Yamaha integrated so far. With the GPA 604 it is a solid performer. Iron fist in a velvet glove indeed. I'm glad the positive reviews here and elsewhere encouraged me to give it a try. Thanks!

As one of those perfectionist types who literally enjoyed his Yamaha A-S2000 thoroughly, I couldn't help but wonder if the new 2100 would represent an upgrade. I made the purchase and I'm very happy I did. Admittedly the cost is much higher and we have one of those diminishing return factors here but it is closer to perfection. As others have said, I also find more resolved deeper warmer richer base, sweet mid range and more defined high frequency sparkle with better high frequency realism. The remote control is better built and offers a few more features and there are numerous other small benefits around the whole system. That said, if someone is thinking about purchasing the 2000, I strongly advise it is a wonderful unit as well I think you just get a little bit more with this unit and if you're reaching for perfection you are that much closer here. I have also owned the a-s1000 model a couple years ago followed by the 2000 and now the 2100. Each one offered a small but notable increase in sound quality. Of course each brought a very substantially different price point as well. Again, the diminishing returns is a decision making process here and each person will have a logical resting point in their pursuit of perfection. As others have also said, there's just something special about the Yamaha sound and when you factor that in with the construction quality and the pure beauty of the units, it is a wonderful purchase. My entire system today consists of the Yamaha 2100, goldenear Triton 1 speakers, and a Benchmark Audio DAC2. In my opinion, I have a wonderful pairing and enjoy the sound thoroughly.

I found this thread via search and it was one reason in my giving the a-s2100 Yamaha a try. I had actually had the a-s1100 a few months ago but sent it back as it was a remanufactured unit but something wasn't quite right in my system. And it had a rather heavy and odd aroma that wasn't dissipating as quickly as I thought it should.

The (new) Yamaha a-s2100 just arrived two days ago and so far I'm very impressed. I am using two Velodyne powered subs hooked up via the a-s2100 tape out into a Nakamichi CA-5 preamp to supply separate controllable gain for the subs.

Previously I had been using 1959 vintage Altec 604 drivers (in the same cabinets) and various tube and SS amps. Sounded pretty good overall but wanted to experiment further. Also a little tired of the various rats nest cabling and extra box gyrations I had to go through to get everything to work together.

About 9 months ago I got a wild hair and ordered the Great Plains Audio 604 driver pair. Went from 16 ohm to 8 ohm which I thought would also allow a bit more correct amp match. They also have a new dividing network with low and high being separately adjustable.

Well, I could never could get the 300b or el34 tubes to drive them right. I then tried a modest 80 watt powered SS integrated. Better. But... I still felt the new GPA's weren't happy. They were a little fatiguing and never quite clicked with any of the amps I had on hand. I had spent years getting the old 604C to integrate properly. I finally decided to bite the bullet and see if bigger power and higher damping would do the trick.

I plugged the Yamaha in yesterday, and even tho it's only been a short time with the new amp I am seeing huge gains in sound quality from these GPA 604 drivers from the previous amps. Deep bass is much deeper, bass and lower midrange are all much more defined and tuneful.

The midrange voice is liquid, smooth and relaxed when needed. A powerful presence without being shouty.

The upper mids and HF are clean and clear without inducing ear fatigue- which had been a problem. It was obvious gains have been made in speaker control. More power and a higher damping factor I am sure have helped create better synergy with the modern GPA 604.

I had to spend some time tuning the mid and tweeter dividing network with the new amp. Also tow-in and sub integration.

When I left it earlier today I felt it on an exemplary path and can hardly wait to see how the amp breaks in. I also know a bit more fine tuning is inevitable, but wow- so far I am getting the best sound in several years from my source components and the new GPA drivers with the a-s2100.

A solid bonus is the very good built in phono and headphone amp with trim level. This really cut down on cabling and extra boxes.

Very happy with this Yamaha integrated so far. With the GPA 604 it is a solid performer. Iron fist in a velvet glove indeed. I'm glad the positive reviews here and elsewhere encouraged me to give it a try. Thanks!

Weird indeed. I have the A-S1100 going on a year now. It is an amazing piece. I would venture to guess something wasn't right in the 'refurb' process with what you are describing. I would love to hear some Altec's with one of these MOSFET based Yamahas!

image.jpg
Weird indeed. I have the A-S1100 going on a year now. It is an amazing piece. I would venture to guess something wasn't right in the 'refurb' process with what you are describing. I would love to hear some Altec's with one of these MOSFET based Yamahas!

I suspect you're right. The refurb didn't take on that one. The 2100 was a new unit however, and so far no issues.
The old Altec 604d (sorry I remembered wrong if I called them c) did some things really well, but others not so.

The GPA 604 are better in most respects and match today's SS amps better. Still, they are a bit light in deep and lower mid bass. The subs ( Sunfire not Velodyne. The Velos left a while ago) do a good job filling in.

The Altec design in general is quite good at image and soundstage. They disappear with good source and amp. In my vintage cabinets they are probably better looking than they sound- as the cabinet design isn't really optimal nor low resonance. But they are so pretty I easily forgive any sound transgressions

I know that, over the past two or so years, I've been a bit of a cheerleader for the Yamaha integrated line, but I think that a lot of people think they know Yamaha products by the ones from before 2000. Those were good products, but as the 'heat' idea above shows, folks simply haven't encountered the current line, close up. That is a shame. I sure didn't head into my integrated search in 2012 expecting to end up with a Yamaha, initially heading towards brands linked to 'hi-fi' such as Rega, Peachtree, Emotiva, NAD, etc, etc. The Yamaha won, fair and square over probably 12 different amps, and was $300 less than the cheapest competitor. Some days, I wish I'd sprund for the AS-1000, but in real world, everyday use, I see no real need for the extra juice, and the overall sound was very similar when comparing them with efficient speakers.

My AX-596 runs cool as a cucumber. It also sounds good paired with my JBL speakers. I have got to hear this system everyday or I'm not right.

Back
Top Bottom