The best of Pioneer SX Receivers?

I like the pre 1974 medium power offerings the best. Something like a SX 1010 era model or two down. Those sounded better than the higher powered models and built better than the 50 and 80 series. Less cost cut. Sounded better when properly gone over.

Purchased a SX 939 the other day. For some reason, I'm getting no sound in left channel through phono one and phono two. Bought it with a 30 day warranty, so it looks like it will have to go back for repair.

That said, tuner sounds great. CD's through the Aux output sounds excellent. Physical condition is about 8.5. Assuming the phono stage issue can be sorted out, I think I'll be very happy with this receiver.

Purchased a SX 939 the other day. For some reason, I'm getting no sound in left channel through phono one and phono two. Bought it with a 30 day warranty, so it looks like it will have to go back for repair.

That said, tuner sounds great. CD's through the Aux output sounds excellent. Physical condition is about 8.5. Assuming the phono stage issue can be sorted out, I think I'll be very happy with this receiver.
More than likely it is dirty controls in the black buttons.Need to be deoxit'd.

Yes..thank you.I tried contact cleaner on the black buttons. I will try again tonight to spray into the little cracks around those buttons. Hoping that works or I'll have to send it out.

Yes..thank you.I tried contact cleaner on the black buttons. I will try again tonight to spray into the little cracks around those buttons. Hoping that works or I'll have to send it out.
That is may how I cleaned mine on a sx838.It was also cutting in and out.I opened the case and found that I didn't have the level of skill to disassemble it enough to get to the pots the right way.After I sprayed I set the unit facing up up and down and sideways for a length of time let gravity help.That and working the button quite a bit.It worked to some degree as I was able to enjoy it for a while.If I din't use it for weeks or months the problem contacts would start creeping back.I owned a number of Pioneers and I thought this series was the best sounding.It is definately worth trying to keep.

Thanks Superdog. I will try your method as it makes good sense. Yes, I believe the 3 series sound nice and the blue lights always looked cool. I have a 434 that is sweet too. I've seen some folks post pics of their 939 with led lights ...makes the blue really pop.

I wouldn't get any gear that had vinyl coated plastic fake wood veneer. Pioneer's higher end gear (after 1972) had real wood veneer.

Yeah, I really wish hey would have gone with real wood. Pealing vinyl sucks.

I would think that it wouldn't be that difficult for a hobbyist/DIY'er, to make a couple of real wood side panels. Oak, walnut, cherry, or whatever. Clearly not a reason to turn one of these away. Mind you, I haven't actually done it myself. ;)

As much as I like other classics too? I've kept a Pioneer SX- 850 always going somewhere in the house. It's right there in sound with it's bigger brothers and the best value of them all to my ears and have sold off 2 SX-1050s' to free up larger cash for nice scores with something else....haven't looked back.

IMO some of the best SX series receiver that your average joe could afford. say usually no more then $200.
SX-434, 535, 636
SX-780
SX-3600

SX-1050, PL-570 and HPM-100s. The SX-1050 is less in cost than it's well sought out big brother the SX-1250, but just as beefy.
The SX-1050 is the most beautiful and choice receiver that has ever been "forced" out of my hands (due to needing added cash instantly) for another audio purchase. But? It sold well and the funds set me up with a set of rare speaks.....someday there will be another. (Like selling my left hand for a right foot!) Enjoy.

pioneer_PL570.jpg

I actually had two mint SX-1050s. I got carried away and had one as a back up. Over the yearend trying different vintage Pioneers, I came to like the sound of the earlier SA-9100 integrated amp more. Even the little SX 3600 sounded better to my ears.

Interesting and fitting that there are few if any negative comments about the 1250. I read where someone said that it was the high tide mark for classic receivers given its build quality, power output, sound quality, serviceability, and looks. There are other receivers that can rival it or perhaps beat it in a couple of those areas, but combined, it is king.

I'll be the one to vouch for the SX 880, which is warm sounding and powerful - I've been very happy!

It does have the wood vinyl instead of real wood, but if you find one for $40 like i did, don't pass it up!

Just found one for $10, super condition/one owner. Sounds amazing!

The SX-880 is a great unit that's often overlooked.
I picked one up as I needed some parts for my SX-1980 but in the end I managed to find what I needed elsewhere without cannibalising another unit.
So, I decided to refurb the 880, update it with Blue LED's. raise the unit height very slightly by adding different feet and make sure the Tuner was optimised as it's a stonkingly good one!
I will be removing the sticky peel off and replacing it with actual American Black Walnut veneer that is also self adhesive.
I think it will look great and sound even better!
A good choice IBSO52!

Attachments

• 20170829_162724.jpg
    20170829_162724.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom