Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Ever pan fry a steak? Something I hadn't done in a long time ... turned out just the way I like it, medium rare going on medium. Seasoning was a mix of salt, McCormick's Mesquite, onion salt, pepper and garlic, with some really tasty coffee rub I get from the local meat market.

fried-steak.jpg

Here's the basics on how to do it right.

Important to season the meat to taste prior to cooking and just flip it once. Mine was a thicker cut, and was more like three minutes on the first side and a bit over two after the flip. Practice makes perfect!

That is the technique I used. Hot cast iron skillet, a little olive oil, Wolf stove on high. It smokes and splatters but the steak cooks perfectly.

High BTU burner, smoke, grease and flames when the Bourbon hits the hot pan.

Dude cooking is fun. Don't forget to reserve an once or two of the Trace for the chef..

Last edited:
That's the traditional method but Heston Blumenthal would disagree. Like most things in life, there are multiple methods to achieve similar and superior results.

Here's the basics on how to do it right.

Important to season the meat to taste prior to cooking and just flip it once. Mine was a thicker cut, and was more like three minutes on the first side and a bit over two after the flip. Practice makes perfect!

So, like ... you're saying I should be stepping on steak before serving it? ;-}

elton%20in%20tommy.jpg

I got some of it right ... next go round, I'll do the 15 second flip and see if it makes any difference. I figure I'm good if the "crust" is equal on all sides and there's no bloody bits indicating undercooking (for me) in the center ...

PS ... I'd disagree with his "the way most people do it" statement. I expect that would be more like grilling or broiling vice pan frying ...

That's the traditional method but Heston Blumenthal would disagree. Like most things in life, there are multiple methods to achieve similar and superior results.

I think this method works well for a steak that is an inch, or so thick. For a steak that's knocking on 2 inches I prefer to sous vide, and then sear in a nuclear hot cast iron skillet.

Steak-ed.jpg

-Dave

South Indian Sambar

Simple but seriously tasty: south Indian-style Sambar with carrots, radishes, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, okra, and heirloom orange tomato. This stuff is a bit tricky to master, but quite easy once you get the hang of it. This batch was some of the best I've made.

The Sambar was served with plain and cracked pepper papadum with mint chutney and garlic/onion jam. My wife brought the jam home and we had a hard time finding a good use for it. She got inspired tonight, and dog-gone-it, it goes great with papadum and Indian food.

Dinner.jpg

Dinner Close-Up.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

South Indian Sambar

Simple but seriously tasty: south Indian-style Sambar with carrots, radishes, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, okra, and heirloom orange tomato. This stuff is a bit tricky to master, but quite easy once you get the hang of it. This batch was some of the best I've made.

The Sambar was served with plain and cracked pepper papadum with mint chutney and garlic/onion jam. My wife brought the jam home and we had a hard time finding a good use for it. She got inspired tonight, and dog-gone-it, it goes great with papadum and Indian food.

View attachment 853695

View attachment 853696

Enjoy,
Rich P
This dish would be perfect for seattle weather. It's been windy, chilly, and raining for all day.

Nothing better for a cold rainy day than some good ol' sweet potato and corn chowder!

corn-chowder.jpg

Sweet potatoes and corn (of course), in a chicken gravy stock w/crumbled bacon, onions, and sage sausage, mild peppers and celery. Lightly seasoned with cayenne pepper and brown sugar.

Back
Top Bottom