Spin-Clean is...

cason

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
For those of you who use or have used a Spin-Clean machine, do you think the effectiveness of its cleaning is better than, equal to, or poorer than hand washing? Is its main advantage the ease of cleaning or the quality of cleaning?
Thanks,
Bob

I'd use it solely on the fact that it prevents getting the label wet, but then again I have a nitty gritty :p

I've never hand washed an album in the sink but I have cleaned them using an array of brushes, paint pads and micro fiber towels. I just received a Spin Clean for Christmas and I have cleaned about 20 albums with it so far. I would have to say it works much better than the way I used to clean them. It's much more convenient to use. Surface noise is greatly reduced. The towels they give you seem kinda cheesy but they work better than the micro fiber ones I had been using. My only complaint is that sometimes the rollers want to walk up a bit when spinning the LP, some spin better than others, it depends on how smooth the edge of the album is.

I use my spinclean as just another stage in my cleaning ritual. They're pretty effective as a standalone unit, but incorporating the econowand that hi*ball was making awhile back further increased the cleanliness and pleasure of vinyl in this house. While hi*ball isn't making these anymore, there are some similar on that auction site.

Discussed in this thread is about everything we have on cleaning vinyl.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....of-fact-fiction-and-collective-wisdom.633407/

This is an excellent method. Same principle as Spinclean.
I found that if I let the record sit for a minute then revolve again, it would "soak" out any grime better.
I used this Knosti setup for years . It comes with just one trough, I bought a second trough that I filled with distilled water as a rinse.

5 LIVE (2182).jpg
5 LIVE (2180).jpg
However, I treated myself to this a few years ago. I can clean and dry and put record away within minutes.

Clearaudio (2).jpg
Always put back into a new, quality, inner sleeve.

Attachments

• 5 LIVE (2180).jpg
    5 LIVE (2180).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Just for clarification, when I said "hand washing" I meant the methods outlined by Anti Skate.
Bob

I've never hand washed an album in the sink but I have cleaned them using an array of brushes, paint pads and micro fiber towels. I just received a Spin Clean for Christmas and I have cleaned about 20 albums with it so far. I would have to say it works much better than the way I used to clean them. It's much more convenient to use. Surface noise is greatly reduced. The towels they give you seem kinda cheesy but they work better than the micro fiber ones I had been using. My only complaint is that sometimes the rollers want to walk up a bit when spinning the LP, some spin better than others, it depends on how smooth the edge of the album is.
I always make sure the housing for the rollers is cleaned out. Dirt/grime settles in the trough and creates a friction that causes the rollers to walk.

I picked up another spin clean to rinse the record off with.
Yet to use both.
Winter is here & I may have time.
So did I. Spin Clean ran a special on the brown "Classic" unit for $49 in December 2016 so I bought an extra for the rinse cycle. I was using a quirt bottle.

It cleans deeper in the grooves than hand washing. I had a few records that looked mint but had a lot of pops when played. After cleaning them several times with my Spin Clean, I was able to remove a lot of the surface noise. I found that using a drop or two of Dawn detergent helps clean the noisier records better than the Spin Clean fluid. I clean them and then rinse them off under the kitchen faucet to remove any soap residue. If you listen to a lot of records, a Spin Clean is essential IMO.

I like mine. It does an ok job. I started using a vacuum wand when drying and it seems to work a little better.

HI,

I've made a very thorough reserch of different record cleaning methods, from Doing-It-by-Hand to TOTL vacume machines. It included both listning and checking the cleaned records under a scope.
The spinning machines were the most efficient, and certainly most cost eficient way to clean records - easy and quick to clean records without doing damage to either records or labels. Records turn our cleaner than "handworked", and just as clean as those cleaned by multiple-thousends-dollars, TOTL vacume machines.

Mind that, Just as with the vacumes, the cleaning process is much more elaborated than advertise, and one needs quite a few rounds of turning the records, both ways, both in cleaning solution and in distilled woter - for it to be "almost totaly clean" - which is the best I have managed, cleaning VERY dirty records, using any method :)

HI,

I've made a very thorough reserch of different record cleaning methods, from Doing-It-by-Hand to TOTL vacume machines. It included both listning and checking the cleaned records under a scope.
The spinning machines were the most efficient, and certainly most cost eficient way to clean records - easy and quick to clean records without doing damage to either records or labels. Records turn our cleaner than "handworked", and just as clean as those cleaned by multiple-thousends-dollars, TOTL vacume machines.

Mind that, Just as with the vacumes, the cleaning process is much more elaborated than advertise, and one needs quite a few rounds of turning the records, both ways, both in cleaning solution and in distilled woter - for it to be "almost totaly clean" - which is the best I have managed, cleaning VERY dirty records, using any method :)

A hands free spin clean.

IMG_20161123_205319.jpg

Back
Top Bottom