Computer has MASSIVE NOISE

Bassblaster

trying to lisiten to anything on headphones is impossible with the crazy amount of noise coming from. even through my desktop speakers at a normal volume its just crazy amounts of buzzing and ringing. and when i move the mouse around it ring more?!?? Since i cant post a .mp3 on AK i recorded the sounds straight from the headphone out and uploaded it to my dropbox.
i tried unplugging things from my room and nothing helped. the ONLY thing that did anything was when i plugged in a neon light the speakers made a loud pop sound. i dont know if its my house wiring or bad cables.
Any ideas?

It will help if you can post some specs. Computer type (Mac or Windows), OS, hardware (particularly sound card).

Also, has it ever worked properly? If so, did you make any changes, software or hardware? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling sound card drivers?

Over to you.

Computer sound sucks.

(gotta love blanket statements, right?)

Audio problems in a server can be a bear to track down, but taking a few logical steps helps narrow things down.

- Install the latest drivers for your sound system. OEM versions supercede drivers direct from the source.

- Disconnect all the accessories you don't really need. More times than not, it's resource competition that's creating the noise. Here, it was a wireless keyboard/mouse combination that was screwing the pooch.

- Increase your buffer and swap file. Gotta give that sound all the processing it needs.

- Try using an add on card if you're using the motherboard's native sound system.

- Disable your virus checker and firewall temporarily (offline of course). Those can really be resource hogs and leave no room for your audio processing.

- Cross fingers

- Pray

(luck wit it, eh)

PS ... if you're using Windows 7 or newer, switch over to WASAPI instead of DirectSound if you haven't already done so.

robgmn - integrated. but you see this just started about 2 weeks ago and ive had this PC since mid 2015.
KevinJS - Full specs are Core i5 4590 - 16GB RAM - Radeon HD 7570 - Win 8.1 64Bit - MOBO is an ASRock H97M Anniversary.
i would get an actual sound card...but once i get my new GPU the first PCI-E x1 slot gets blocked. and the 2nd one has my wifi card in it. But i forgot all about audio drivers. i did update them once...late 2015.
sKiZo - i do not have a wireless KBM or mouse. my PC is also not OEM its custom built by me.

@sKiZo's advice should be good to start with, and probably to end with.

Personally, I'd dump the wifi card and get a decent sound card instead.

@sKiZo's advice should be good to start with, and probably to end with.

Personally, I'd dump the wifi card and get a decent sound card instead.
if i did that then i would have no internet on my PC. i have it for a reason and thats i cant run a 40ish foot internet cable across my floor to my modem.

new drivers did nothing. i did notice when restarting my PC, the nonsense starts on the blank screen after the windows loading icon before the lock screen. sitting at the desktop not doing anything it sounds like the buzzing that i posted in the dropbox but this time it had a lot of lower tone noises kinda like TV static but lower pitched. the sounds always change on their own apart from the whining from moving the mouse. it reminds me of interference but nothing has changed in my house for years. like another program is causing it...but what.... even with the sound within windows muted, the noises dont stop. sometimes loading a webpage makes harsh sounds. how those two are related i have no clue

Last edited:
if i did that then i would have no internet on my PC. i have it for a reason and thats i cant run a 40ish foot internet cable across my floor to my modem.

Ah. I put one in my PC just because I could. An alternative would be to run a wireless router from the PCs Ethernet port.

See @Knucklehead's excellent suggestion instead then. That will likely work well if you don't have, and can't free up any, internal slots.

Maybe the output jack itself has gotten FUBARed? Do you have front panel audio in addition to the ones in the rear, and if so, have you tried plugging your speakers/headphones in there instead?

How do the Elna audio caps the manufacturer mentions look? http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97M Anniversary/ Any sign of bulging, leaking?

Last edited:
This isn't a driver or cap or sound card issue...this is a cabling issue (poorly shielded cable). You are probably using the audio out that runs to the top or front of the case...? If so, try using the audio port that is right at the back of the motherboard instead. If that's still noisy, try disconnecting the audio that runs to the front of the case, as it may be picking up grunge and bleeding into the port at the rear.

If none of that works, then its time to find a USB solution.

just now noticed, i turn my volume up and scrolling through web pages makes a click sound.

i dont think its the output jacks or a non shielded cable, this just started not long ago and ive had this setup for over a year. im using the output jack on the back of my MOBO because the front one on my case only works on one side now. probably just worn out. ill try disconnecting it.
About a USB option. i would need one with 5.1 outs...when i get my new corner desk this summer (80" long per side!) im going to pick up a Logitech Z506 and i need to be able to hook it up.
now if i can free up my PCI-E x1 slot i can get something like this sound card. but then i would need to get another network solution.
do the Elna audio caps the manufacturer mentions look? http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97M Anniversary/ Any sign of bulging, leaking?
No caps are bulging or leaking..

Don't suppose you've tried rolling back to a restore point created before stuff went weird? Be aware, any software changes you've made since that point go away, but your data remains intact.

just now noticed, i turn my volume up and scrolling through web pages makes a click sound.

i dont think its the output jacks or a non shielded cable, this just started not long ago and ive had this setup for over a year. im using the output jack on the back of my MOBO because the front one on my case only works on one side now. probably just worn out. ill try disconnecting it.
About a USB option. i would need one with 5.1 outs...when i get my new corner desk this summer (80" long per side!) im going to pick up a Logitech Z506 and i need to be able to hook it up.
now if i can free up my PCI-E x1 slot i can get something like this sound card. but then i would need to get another network solution.

No caps are bulging or leaking..

This is not surprising. You have to choices:

1. Get professional grade audio card - they are usually well protected from any noise inside computer.
2. Use external DAC with optical isolation from computer. Either Toslink fiber cable or USB optical isolator will work. Here make sure that DAC supports bitrate for files you plan to play. Many DACs do not support more than 96kHz sampling rate and most USB isolators do not support High Speed mode (above 12Mbps).

one of you need to slap me. i was behind my PC unplugging everything and plugging everything back in and the noises have stopped. i guess my audio cable was just loose enough for full sound but also just enough for all the noises to start.

Well with that problem out of the way. i now need to find a way to get the 5.1 sound. Ethernet jack wireless dongle?

one of you need to slap me. i was behind my PC unplugging everything and plugging everything back in and the noises have stopped. i guess my audio cable was just loose enough for full sound but also just enough for all the noises to start.

Well with that problem out of the way. i now need to find a way to get the 5.1 sound. Ethernet jack wireless dongle?
Pull your PCI WiFi card and replace it with the SoundBlaster card you noted that you want. Then get a USB WiFi adapter.

Outboard soundcard is typically preferable. But in the interest of your budget and 5.1 requirements this is probably the most prudent move.

Back
Top Bottom