Spin-Clean is...

ultimately it's pretty good. if you want significantly better, ultrasonic units are starting to be as affordable as the vac machines. the cheaper nitty made record doctor is a rip. the impeller blades on mine just broke off and they wanted $100 for repair PLUS shipping! it's all put together with glue and the blades are press fit so cannot be easily nor economically repaired.

so unless you want to go uS for $600, go for less than $100 for the spin clean.

I just ordered a 2-pack of e-cloths. Thanks for the recommendation!
I find they really make my vinyl shine which the vacuuming doesn't do nor regular microfiber cloths from say Walmart and they cost the same price. Another trick I do is put record cleaning solution in those little bottles of eye glass cleaner that you get free when you buy your glasses. It atomizes the spray. Then I can spray a light amount directly onto the record and wipe and buff it clean with a dry e-cloth. That's a good touch-up technique for a previously washed record that has finger prints or needs extra attention or for a quicky when you don't want to fill the Spin-Clean tank with distilled water and solution for 1 or 2 records. And again I like how shiny they make the records.

I'm not convinced that the Pro-ject mentioned earlier would be an improvement over a dual Spinclean (wash/rinse) plus vacuum method. I can't see how gently wiping solution across the record then quickly vacuuming it would provide more cleaning action than the scrubbing pads inside the Spinclean. I hear the same old tired "dirty solution" argument against the Spinclean but its almost always from people who haven't actually used them. I change my fluid enough to not feel a concern for that and combined with the rinse step I think it's a non-issue.

I'm not convinced that the Pro-ject mentioned earlier would be an improvement over a dual Spinclean (wash/rinse) plus vacuum method. I can't see how gently wiping solution across the record then quickly vacuuming it would provide more cleaning action than the scrubbing pads inside the Spinclean. I hear the same old tired "dirty solution" argument against the Spinclean but its almost always from people who haven't actually used them. I change my fluid enough to not feel a concern for that and combined with the rinse step I think it's a non-issue.

I agree. I keep the fluid clean too and those pads really do a very good job.

I really am amazed that very few call out the fact that with this system, you potentially are recycling a dirty water/solution mix, over and over again. Additionally, you are letting that mix sit in the tank for a while, allowing it to become a breeding ground for unhealthy bacteria. Clean records are one thing, but breathing that crap in, sorry, there are better and healthier ways.
Yikes! This is a compelling argument against this. Awful.

I am now using an Okki Nokki. Being cheap, I still use my Spin Clean cleaning fluid. Mixed double strength with a drop of Dawn, plus double rinse, I find my LPs to be clean, shiny and quiet. I am a strong believer in a multiple rinse.

I'll throught this in (no afiliation) bought from Nick in Canada 3dcanfab "kit" best buy for the buck I've found. Built the plinth myself. About 115.00 for kit.

Attachments

• 20160420_171639.jpg
    20160420_171639.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 44
I'll throught this in (no afiliation) bought from Nick in Canada 3dcanfab "kit" best buy for the buck I've found. Built the plinth myself. About 115.00 for kit.

I'll concur that the 3dcanfab is an awesome kit! I was using a home-made solution that had the same functionality but was less elegant and convenient and was about to buy one of those (the guy who make them is super nice to boot). I ended up going the Spinclean route because I felt it was more thorough and convenient in the scrub and rinse steps. Plus its less messy since I always had fluid spilling off the sides of my album. If I had bought one of those 3dcanfab's though I would happily still be using it for my vacuum steps.

I also feel the Spin-Clean system works very well, but like others here I don't exactly follow their instructions. I have two Spin-Cleans. I use the first one with distilled water and their solution. I rotate the record 10 times one direction and then 10 times the other direction. Next I do the same thing in my second Spin-Clean, but that only has distilled water in it. Then I put the record in a drying rack. After I have about 5 or 6 records in the rack I lay them on the towels provided by Spin-Clean, but I wipe them down with micro fiber cloths I purchased separately. When I'm done the records are very clean and shiny. I never put them back into the paper inner sleeves that they usually come in, but use Mobile Fidelity anti-static inner sleeves. After reading this thread drummergirl has piqued my interest in the e-cloths.

Last edited:
and Buffalo Boy, Bruins and GP Jeff have all piqued my interest in a second Spin Clean to rinse.

I speculate that the e-cloths are a better made micro fiber cloth than the average microfiber. They must have more fibers per inch like luxury bed sheets.

There are multiple types of e-cloths... which ones did you select (lens or electronics or what)?

To those who queried the efficacity of an RCM, You need to try one. I thought as you did, but the results are staggering. I think it might be that, while the spinclean removes some dirt, it just rearranges the rest, which vacuuming then removes.

Believe me, after one try with an RCM, you'll be converted.

I asked the e-cloth company today which they thought were the best for records and they said the electronics ones are the softest.

+1 on that. I've cleaned most of my small collection of less than 100 albums and it's very easy to use. Noticeable improvement in sound with less noise and no static. I thought it was a bit pricey at first but I'm now very happy I bought it. Worth every penny and I'm just using the solution supplied.

No experience with an RCM but I've cleaned ~250 records with my spin clean and love it. Like others have stated I usually clean 20 at a time and use new fluid with each batch. + for being a local Pittsburgh company.

Back
Top Bottom