Sony PS-X6

Grotus

Just picked this up at an estate sale for $75. Probably overpaid, but I got stars in my eyes. Loved the weight of it, all the functions are smooth, strobe was steady as US Grant in a firefight, Feet are in good shape, cart looked clean and straight, auto return works, etc.

Can't wait to see how it works.

http://imgur.com/SjNXVqf

well bought. An underappreciated table based on bay pricing but a true $300 and up performer today for a used table.

I would love to own that table!
It would fit right in with my system!
Enjoy!

Last edited:
This series is under the radar. I paid 50 Euro for mine a few years ago. Prices have gone up since then.

Grotus you far from overpaid for the PS-X6, I'd say you got a bargain. I had a PS-X5 and felt it was an excellent table.

Excellent indeed. Heavy, well engineered: very stable gel filled feet, heavy non-resonant SBMC chassis, quartz locked BSL motor, nice platter, contactless reed switch, very nice looking arm with a great smooth arm lift, nice dustcover with proper metal hinges. The only thing I would have liked a little better is the arm bearings (full gimbal suspension and less play), but still it's a nice arm.

Hilarious and tragic update: Brought this home, hooked it up, put on Get the Knack, all is right with the universe and then I notice a knocking sound and a loud CRACK! The speed starts fluctuating and actual, literal smoke starts coming from the deck. Unplugged it double-quick and made sure it wasn't on fire. Looks like $75 down the drain, unless I can fix this thing.

Where to go from here, I wonder? Summoning the audio gods to come to my aid!

Likely power supply problems. It is on the same board with the speed controller. Turn it upside down, remove feet and bottom cover. Then take and post pics of the circuit board. Let some of the arm chair bench techs give you some ideas.

Cheers,

David

Likely power supply problems. It is on the same board with the speed controller. Turn it upside down, remove feet and bottom cover. Then take and post pics of the circuit board. Let some of the arm chair bench techs give you some ideas.

Cheers,

David

will do, thanks!

Hilarious and tragic update: Brought this home, hooked it up, put on Get the Knack, all is right with the universe and then I notice a knocking sound and a loud CRACK! The speed starts fluctuating and actual, literal smoke starts coming from the deck. Unplugged it double-quick and made sure it wasn't on fire. Looks like $75 down the drain, unless I can fix this thing.

Where to go from here, I wonder? Summoning the audio gods to come to my aid!

I've got the same turntable with similar speed issues. Works OK for awhile then speed fluctuates. Nowhere to go with this thing, considering trashing it, then I read you guys here love the turntable. So where to ship it to get it fixed? IDeas anyone???

Since you are in Knoxville, I'd suggest you contact Terry DeWick, who is a member here at AK. He has that guru glow for all things McIntosh but he will take in other gear. Be prepared, he's busy with a backlog of work but well worth the wait.

Speed issues, if intermittent, can be attributed to marginal power supply voltage regulation or something related to the pick up or, worse case, someone cleaned the inner rim of the platter and wiped off part of the magnetic strip. For the latter, you'd notice the problem all the time for each revolution of the platter. If that isn't the case its likely on the controller board.

Cheers,

David

Terry is swamped with mcintosh work. He would recommend someone else.

The speed fluctuations are from dirty speed pots inside the unit or caps that aren't quite right. A recap and a full set up of the speed control circuit should set it right. See if dbelectronics is still around. Or if in Knoxville, see who Kent recommends.

Took it to DB and Russell said he couldn't fix it for some reason. Will contact Kent to see what he thinks

The feet on that table could sell for what you paid. Other parts might be worth some coin, too. Did Russell give you any idea of what was all blowed up on that thing giving him a reason to say it's totaled?

Any 70s DD turntable should have the power supply rebuilt. I'm about 95% sure you just blew a filter cap. These tables are well worth the expense.

The feet on that table could sell for what you paid. Other parts might be worth some coin, too. Did Russell give you any idea of what was all blowed up on that thing giving him a reason to say it's totaled?

No but I don't think he realized it could be the caps. In Florida but will be back Feb so will contact him then

Terry is swamped with mcintosh work. He would recommend someone else.

The speed fluctuations are from dirty speed pots inside the unit or caps that aren't quite right. A recap and a full set up of the speed control circuit should set it right. See if dbelectronics is still around. Or if in Knoxville, see who Kent recommends.

Any idea of what the cost may be on this? Have 3 tables now that work well so don't want to sink a lot of money into this one

The PS-X6 and PS-X7 are not easy repaired in this area. Try the caps if you can get them done. I like these Sonys when they work.

Swapping the caps is a bit fiddly, pulling the boards and negotiating them with the wiring attached but it isn't too bad and there aren't a lot of them. I don't know about cost for this as I recapped the PS-X7 I got myself before my brother decided he wanted a table. Plastic on the dust cover had never been off the table, ti looked great.

Back
Top Bottom