Fast Food joints RIP

Among the ones that have departed here in the last few years: Hardee's, Arby's, KFC, Friendly's, and only one I miss, Backyard Burgers.

Plenty of Hardee's Arby's and KFC around here. Backyard had a significant presence for a short while, but the local franchisee seemed to get caught up in the economic turbulence several years back. They're down to 65 locations, from a high of 171 in 2008.

On a somewhat related note ... I really miss restaurant counter service. Just pull in, grab a stool. You'd meet some of the strangest people that way.

Which might explain the demise of restaurant counter service.

Come to think of it ... makes me wonder if maybe the only restaurants that have stopped counter service are the ones I've been to ... hmmmmmm ... <G>

Plenty of Hardee's Arby's and KFC around here. Backyard had a significant presence for a short while, but the local franchisee seemed to get caught up in the economic turbulence several years back. They're down to 65 locations, from a high of 171 in 2008.

In my city, Burger King is down to one store in a city that once had four, and still has five McDonalds. Pizza Hut has also downsized from three locations to one.

Our Backyard Burger shut down several years ago. A similar regional chain, Cook-Out, moved into the building with minimal remodeling, and has thrived. Their low prices and late hours are a good match for the location adjacent to a university.

On a somewhat related note ... I really miss restaurant counter service. Just pull in, grab a stool. You'd meet some of the strangest people that way.

Which might explain the demise of restaurant counter service.
Do you have any National Coney Islands on your side of the state? A few around here still have counter service. And yes, some of the strangest people sit there, I've noticed. :D Steak 'n Shake has almost a counter--I've seen them with three or four stools, but it feels more like you are eating at a cash register in a lobby. Which of course, you are...

Yeah most have been mentioned already...

Our Sambo's was right next door to the Carrol's hamburgers back in the day.
Those are long gone now.

Arthur Treacher's was in another part of town over by the Red Barn & Shakey's pizza.
Most those last 3 buildings are still there to this day,most all became other various resturaunts of similar offerings.

One that I have'nt seen mentioned yet was Cal's roast beef,we had one of those too,the chain must've been mostly regional or something like that.

Our Big Boy was gone long ago too.

I'm sure there are others too,just gotta dig thru the dusty 'ol memory banks more,LOL.

Bret P.

Our Big Boy was gone long ago too.
I have always wondered about the Big Boy brand in general. In our area, they are run as Elias Bros. Big Boy. Out west (California?) they are, what, Bob's Big Boy? Were there others? I've wondered if the menus differ, or if it's just a matter of licensing the name and a few of the key trademarked meals and such.

I would say that ours here are nothing all that great.

There was a place in MI called Mr. Hotdog. I think it was a chain. I remember seeing a few battle of the bands it the parking lot in the late 60's
The last one is still open on Euclid Ave in Bay City, about a mile north of the I-75 business loop.

Not only are a lot of these places gone, but some that are still around are stripped down versions of themselves. Take Pizza-hut for example. Back in the 80's it used to be a sit down restaurant that also offered delivery. I remember taking the kids there for "Wednesday night family night". It was almost a tradition. Our local Hut has recently stuck a couple tables next to a wall where you can sit down and eat your pizza. No table service-not the same. Combos like A&W/Long John Silvers or Taco Bell/Pizza hut have limited menus and even more limited service. I am sure there are many more examples of downgraded restaurants.

Not only are a lot of these places gone, but some that are still around are stripped down versions of themselves. Take Pizza-hut for example. Back in the 80's it used to be a sit down restaurant that also offered delivery. I remember taking the kids there for "Wednesday night family night". It was almost a tradition. Our local Hut has recently stuck a couple tables next to a wall where you can sit down and eat your pizza. No table service-not the same. Combos like A&W/Long John Silvers or Taco Bell/Pizza hut have limited menus and even more limited service. I am sure there are many more examples of downgraded restaurants.

There are still a lot of Pizza Hut locations that offer table service.

There are still a lot of Pizza Hut locations that offer table service.
I actually ran into one of them on my way to Florida. I was pleasantly surprised to see it. It is so much better when served fresh and hot. We have the upscale Dewey's Pizza chain here that offers table service but that is about the only chain around here that does it, except a couple local ones.

It seems all the Pizza Hut's near me have closed up their restaurants and gone into Target stores.

Anybody remember Pewter Pot Restaurants.....or Orange Julius...or Stanley Greens ?

Pioneer Chicken.

tumblr_lwf88nrLHf1r8vktho1_1280.jpg
I was just going to mention that.They had the best breading on their chicken.They have one on Sunset in LA but its just Pioneer in name only.

My Dad worked a 2nd job nights as a manager at Burger Chef in Maryland in the 60s ... (Burger Chef, and Jeff!)
We had a Lums in College Park, Md near Md University up until the 80s - I moved away, not sure when it closed.
There is what used to be a Red Barn near Maryland U - and another used-to-be in Fairfax VA ...
We had an Arthur Treacher's just off Fairfax Circle until maybe 2 years ago -
turned into some kind of Salvadoran specialty food place recently ...
And Howard Johnsons?? My gosh, they were EVERYWHERE when I was growing up - on the PA Turnpike when we'd visit my Aunt & Uncle ...
Locally we had Hot Shoppes (Marriott chain), Hot Shoppes Junior (Burgers & Pappy Parker's friend chicken) and the ones I knew turned into Roy Rogers later on ...
And ... the Mighty Mo - a kind of Big Boys Drive-in place in the 50s into the 60s ...

Right now in Leesburg, VA. their are 2 Roy Rogers! Shakeys Pizza was very good pizza. Jack-in-the-Box had a place in Annandale VA until the early mid 1980's. A couple of my friends worked there, and when I was coming home from spinning records in Georgetown I'd stop by and get 3 tacos(extra sauce) onion rings and large coke before going home to my accounting homework and listening to Weasel on WHFS. (when I'd visit Weasel I'd bring hamburgers from the Little Tavern in Bethesda.)

I was eating at Dixie Pig when I was 4! I miss this place most of all. They did minced pork with vinegar slaw and a really good hot sauce. They had wonderful home made bean soup too. I have experimented with BBQ pork, trying to get something close. Their hot sauce is impossible to get right.

Last edited:
Showbiz Pizza, with the automatronic Sunshine Bear Band.

Locally we've lost Long John's Silvers, Godfather Pizza, and Hamburger Stand (.29 cent hamburgers, .79 cent chili cheese fries).

Conway's+Sign.JPG

l.jpg

Conway's Red Top had the best burgers (meat) ... I ever tasted in my life. Don't know why the hamburger was so good ... Chili meat was also just as flavorful ... really miss it.

Left Colorado Springs 15+ years ago ...I've heard they closed in 2012. Just found out today ... was planning on trying it again one day ... there goes that plan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom