Wires, Wires, Wires: How do you keep them tidy?

pja786

Hi All!

Let's face it, I have extreme OCD and I am curious: how does everyone keep their cables organized and tidy? Seeing a nest of cables drives me nuts, so I'd love to hear what methods ya'll use to prevent messy cables from reducing your sound system's beauty.

I know some people cut holes into the walls, but I'm not super experienced and I rent, so my LL probably wouldn't be too happy. But I am curious--do the DIY'ers find in-wall wire set up difficult? I feel as though the major downside with in-wall wires is that it's much more tough to move your speakers, etc.

Are there a lot of people who opt to go wireless? This would reduce the headache of wires, but my experience is the sound quality is diminished and there's less warm tones. Also, there's a visceral enjoyment to plugging in speaker wires--that may be just me.

Feel free to send pics of your setup, looking for ideas. Thanks!

I don't ... life's too short ... <G>

ratsnest-2015.jpg

Plain ole twist ties of the sort you'd find on a loaf of bread or similar product. It's not a fancy solution, but they get the job done. The 16 AWG speaker wires and accompanying subwoofer cable run about ~15 feet from the rear of stereo, under a nearby rug in the center of my living room, and eventually along the baseboard of the opposite wall en route to the appropriate loudspeaker and aforementioned sub. They come in a plethora of colors and are beyond easy to replace.

Plain ole twist ties of the sort you'd find on a loaf of bread or similar product. It's not a fancy solution, but they get the job done. The 16 AWG speaker wires and accompanying subwoofer cable run about ~15 feet from the rear of stereo, under a nearby rug in the center of my living room, and eventually along the baseboard of the opposite wall en route to the appropriate loudspeaker and aforementioned sub. They come in a plethora of colors and are beyond easy to replace.
Makes sense. I've used alligator clips before and rubber bands.

I've had elastic bands melt if close to a floor vent or tubes. Only once, but it was messy enough that I've never done it again lol

Matt

Basically zip ties but if you reconfigure your cables often you might consider something else. You'll find a host of cool options at The Container Store. I use a variety of fasteners.

upload_2017-1-17_6-44-11.png

I have a few sets of RCA's I use while testing equipment and switching stuff around. Once a component finds it's home, I build my own RCA or speaker cables so I get the exact length I want. The only extra cord length I really deal with is the AC cords. For those I use zip ties to control the excess.

Onebean

No pic, but I have my components on top of a closed back bookshelf, (holds my albums), thus hiding the wires. Still a mess behind it!

You can use cable ties. Don't over tighten. Run all signal cables together & all ACs together. Have ACs & signal cables cross @ right angles. You can run digital & analog signal cables together, provided all are shielded. No, cable ties do not require burn in.

I use cable ties and segregate the power from signal cables.

I also use the adhesive backed cable tie mounts to hold the bundles in place.

I use Velcro ties which are good, but they're always sticking together in a big wad. I also use Ty-Raps and the stick-on bases for more permanent installations. Lately for portable cables that are constantly coiled and un-coiled I've been using this MacGyver'd cable tie I put together form junk in my drawer at work - heavy duty pony tail holders and key rings. They work great and don't get balled-up like Velco ties.
IMG_1956.JPG IMG_1955.JPG

Back
Top Bottom