Another ESS AMT-1a pyramid rebuild thread

Good choice. I too used some walnut veneer to splice in. I airbrushed some Toner over the patch and sanded to blend it in.
A hint if I may; cut the patches at 45 degree angles to the corners and refill. You can then size the veneer patches easier and it will be less conspicuous. Then apply a Toner to blend.

If you find a successful way to blend the color of that filler, post your methodology

Did it. Did it. Wood paste, various shades of furniture repair markers and some blending with my fingers before complete drying.

lsKyTPnTpBlzB4cseOEHQ8POdENuEUOvxlY0xmwXns4bOuuX5zxUjWGoL8UChhlVChwGcHenbXw2pxU=w323-h243-rw
Y0I12JwBsXfNqFsTZacHE6YxZMt9CwD-LrJNzsXHgcaehd6nkcMN7mrxbE2w8lKsoariliwYy6H3zZc=w349-h243-rw

tgKm_YZ0MalQwV1CUFJ00BFGZ2FyirToBHVP4gwbV7GEHXMgt0fmv7xTrX0JXC3YiDnVYVHP_fw-TdE=w2033-h1271-rw-no

zfjPyatZ1P9HWIDCRXRM_SJRjAC8v4lr8mSDM3JNMLLmA4Gbo06BD4QsILc_8yZZnDwLzqG1s0OjDC0=w2033-h1271-rw-no

Welp, here I am: done. I started this thread 15 months ago and fell victim to life, to grad school, to Little League, to cold weather, to DIY construction in the house (four months) and sleeping in the living room with audio boxed up while repairing leaks and damage to the bedroom walls, to other projects, and to indifference and lack of confidence and a myriad of other excuses. But on Monday, I completed my build.

My AMT-1a pair is gorgeous and they sound amazing.

ess amt1 refurbished by Jason, on Flickr

For sake of SEO and "evergreen," I'll be taking some more professional looking photos from a real camera when I get back from get-the-FCK-out-of-DC-during-the-inauguration mini-vacation to Florida with the wife and kids.

Updates: added Thorens TD-150, and currently using a PS1 for CDs (on the look out for a Jolida jd100). Selling my Technics SL-1200mkii, saving up for a Massif Audio Design rack, and finally for reals hoping to soon begin working on the unicorns in the background (ESS Transar). Oh, and I'm having an HH Scott LK-150 restored, and I'm building two Decware Zenkit SE84 SET monoblocks. And I also just picked up a pair of JBL 4301 for pennies...

Welp, here I am: done. I started this thread 15 months ago and fell victim to life, to grad school, to Little League, to cold weather, to DIY construction in the house (four months) and sleeping in the living room with audio boxed up while repairing leaks and damage to the bedroom walls, to other projects, and to indifference and lack of confidence and a myriad of other excuses. But on Monday, I completed my build.

My AMT-1a pair is gorgeous and they sound amazing.

ess amt1 refurbished by Jason, on Flickr

For sake of SEO and "evergreen," I'll be taking some more professional looking photos from a real camera when I get back from get-the-FCK-out-of-DC-during-the-inauguration mini-vacation to Florida with the wife and kids.

Updates: added Thorens TD-150, and currently using a PS1 for CDs (on the look out for a Jolida jd100). Selling my Technics SL-1200mkii, saving up for a Massif Audio Design rack, and finally for reals hoping to soon begin working on the unicorns in the background (ESS Transar). Oh, and I'm having an HH Scott LK-150 restored, and I'm building two Decware Zenkit SE84 SET monoblocks. And I also just picked up a pair of JBL 4301 for pennies...

Please keep us informed wrt the Transars. I'd enjoy reading about them. I've always wanted and still like ESS speakers since I first heard them back in the 70s when I lived down the road in Stockton California. Good luck! And yes 1 million people unfamiliar with DC and I'd also be headed elsewhere.

Nice build, They look Great!
If you didn't play Little League ball you might have completed the build faster.
Enjoy the Vaca and keep us updated on the Unicorn's!

Call me shallow, but it's hard to see how great the AMT1's look in the photo. It's like there's a big, ol' shadow over them or something........

Remember---Real cameras run on Fuji Film.

Not sure if you're poking fun, but since I linked to my flickr, perhaps you perused my photostream? Or have seen me on Instagram under the same name? I shoot a Leica M4-2, Rolleiflex Automat, Hasselblad 500 C/M, and an Intrepid Camera 4x5. And yes, Acros is my favorite film... or maybe I know you but don't recognize your AK name?

Please keep us informed wrt the Transars. I'd enjoy reading about them. I've always wanted and still like ESS speakers since I first heard them back in the 70s when I lived down the road in Stockton California. Good luck! And yes 1 million people unfamiliar with DC and I'd also be headed elsewhere.

Have you seen my Transar thread on AK? Lots of what-if's and talk, still all unresolved. But hoping to get moving on this very shortly. Currently missing California...

I honestly had no idea that you are into real, wonderful film photography. This is great.
Not to veer too far off topic, but it's pretty much the same question one could post in the vinyl forum: what is the "resolution" of the silver grit -vs- the pixels of present day nice digital SLR's? What will digital have to get to before you finally concede and integrate with the rest of society?

Chemical photography has been around since early 19th Century. The prints of the first successful exposures are simply wonderful.

One day, hopefully in the far, far future, you may have to pry my Nikon 35 MM SLR from my cold dead hands.

Answer this, MR Pork Loin, If everyone jumped off a bridge, would this be a reason for you to follow? Are you a Lemming, or an individual?

Not to veer too far off topic, but it's pretty much the same question one could post in the vinyl forum: what is the "resolution" of the silver grit -vs- the pixels of present day nice digital SLR's? What will digital have to get to before you finally concede and integrate with the rest of society?

Yes, it is similar to the vinyl question. One is a matter of feel and look and nostalgia and science, and the other is clean, efficient, and a little too fake/manipulated. I use film for everything I love, and I use digital for work (or for when someone is paying me money).

However, when it comes to serious, professional and academic architecture and landscape, the answer is large format film. There is no question. In the fashion industry, too, film is still in the toolbox.

When it comes to resolution, film is still the answer. The best medium format digital sensors are about on par with the best 35mm film. Which means that medium format film and large format film continue to lap the newest technologimical doodads.

That's a snapshot of now. Digital continues to make improvements. Film is also doing as well, or better, than vinyl in the music industry. :)

Chemical photography has been around since early 19th Century. The prints of the first successful exposures are simply wonderful.

One day, hopefully in the far, far future, you may have to pry my Nikon 35 MM SLR from my cold dead hands.

Answer this, MR Pork Loin, If everyone jumped off a bridge, would this be a reason for you to follow? Are you a Lemming, or an individual?

Yes, it is similar to the vinyl question. One is a matter of feel and look and nostalgia and science, and the other is clean, efficient, and a little too fake/manipulated. I use film for everything I love, and I use digital for work (or for when someone is paying me money).

However, when it comes to serious, professional and academic architecture and landscape, the answer is large format film. There is no question. In the fashion industry, too, film is still in the toolbox.

When it comes to resolution, film is still the answer. The best medium format digital sensors are about on par with the best 35mm film. Which means that medium format film and large format film continue to lap the newest technologimical doodads.

That's a snapshot of now. Digital continues to make improvements. Film is also doing as well, or better, than vinyl in the music industry. :)

You both evaded the question, which was: At what point will silver become obsolete? The little jaggies in digital audio recordings at some point will get fine enough to where our ears won't be able to discern the difference between digital and analog. At what point (resolution) will the pixels become small enough to fool the naked eye?

I resent not your questions, but the fact that many wonderful, successful proven technologies are being replaced by technologies that attempt to emulate the old. Why fix anything that is not even broken? People are looking for easy over anything else.

You both evaded the question, which was: At what point will silver become obsolete? The little jaggies in digital audio recordings at some point will get fine enough to where our ears won't be able to discern the difference between digital and analog. At what point (resolution) will the pixels become small enough to fool the naked eye?

That is a question, and it is your question, but it's not the question. For most Americans, a camera is no longer necessary. I've (professionally) printed gorgeous 8x10 photos from my iPhone 6SE. So, in a way, silver already is obsolete. We don't need the gelatin emulsion on the plastic substrate, we don't need it on our photo papers, and we don't need it in our drains and rivers and oceans. We don't need it any more than we don't need our preferred speaker (mine is ESS). I don't actually need the Devore Fidelity Orangutan o/93, nor can I afford it, but I want it. Similarly, I don't want the speakers that are attached to my TV. I can afford to not listen to my TV speakers.

My last reply hinted at but didn't specifically mention the controls and the process. Instead of looking at sensors or silver or other light-sensitive emulsions, large format photographers look at perspective control. Medium format wedding photographers look at a kind of shallow depth of field that can only be simulated with digital in Photoshop (not everyone can afford or find the Canon 50/.95). Most cameras are just a light-tight box. Our phones now do much of the same work, to less precision. But to those who show in gallery, in magazines, on billboards--a camera is still necessary. We're not yet to the point of realistic blacks. Silver exposed to light, and the filters that control how, remain the champ--to those of us who know the difference.

When will our eyes deceive us? We're already there. If you own an LCD TV and never dialed in your white balance or had it calibrated, you're already there. No different than going to BB and buying a pair of Polk OTS speakers. Better than anything else you've heard, but you've not heard much.

Audio, as in digital jaggies versus digital? Shlt, I just want vinyl with the free digi download! One for the home, one for the metro into the city...

Beautiful work!!! What are the big speakers behind them???

Thanks! Those bigguns in the background are the elusive ESS Transar. I'm missing an external crossover and a proprietary 5-pin, XLR-like cable. I'm close to acquiring them and firing these bad boys up!

Do you have the matching sub? Ever thing OD bi amping with the MINIDSP?

The matching sub was only available with the second-generation Transar. Mine are the first. The "low-freq" AMT plays 150hz-799, and the mid-range AMT plays from 800-2x,000. I'll look for a sub some other time once these are set up. For now, I'm working on acquiring a passive crossover from ESS. Should the active crossover and cables come up on eBay, then I'll be all over it. I've got the daily-search emails saved. Due to the proprietary 5-pin XLR cable, I can't just use any old after-market or pro active crossover. We've been down this road on my Transar rebuild thread, linked above.

Back
Top Bottom