CR 600

Newbie-audio

Found this thrift find yesterday for $25 didn't even know if it powered on brought it home. Removed the cabnit and found it was rather clean so still blew it out and sprayed some deox into the switches and pots. Waited some time and boom she fires right up! Hooked up a speaker tested out the outputs and sound! Alright so after some trial and error got the tuner indicator aligned to show the proper station.
Surprisingly this thing rocks and sound fairly good.

Just pulled out a CR 600 I bought a few years ago and . . . everything still seems to work! I've been listening to a great local station for a few hours now with absolutely no drift and NO antenna attached. It's hooked it up to some 4 ohm coaxial speakers and when I played some AC/DC through them I was surprised at the clean power this thing still produces. Usually when a stereo is a) this old and, b) has sat inactive for a few years it sounds all crackly and one of the channels struggles to "break through" and be fully "on." Not so here. I remember opening it up when I first got it to replace some bulbs and couldn't get over the build quality. The entire tuning section tilts forward to allow access to the 600's nether regions, for example, a feature I haven't seen on any other receiver. I've gotten to the point where I'm most interested in absolute reliability--staying power--in my equipment. I've had so many receivers go south despite my best attempts to keep them alive (including never, ever pushing them hard) and the Yamaha CR 600 is pretty much at the top of the pile at this point (I just knocked on wood; no way am I gonna jinx this!). Have other people experienced this happiness with the CR 600?

Back
Top Bottom