Update your Tidal and get "Masters"

And a perfect example of the other side of the coin is this:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/vinyl-rips-on-youtube.698384/

Why pay for the tunes when you can just listen to them on youtube? To hell with MQA quality. :)

Because they're illegally sharing music which is easy to do but they don't have the rights to do it. Claims of "fair use" are flat wrong.

Edit- Within that thread is a link to an arstechnica story on a lawsuit against a youtube ripping service:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...g-in-copyright-lawsuit-targeting-youtube-mp3/

I found this section ineteresting:

'The lawsuit—which comes two weeks after a survey found that about 50 percent of people aged 16-24 now stream rip—names Philip Matesanz as the site's owner and operator living in Germany. The site did not immediately respond for comment.

The suit says Youtube-mp3.org has "tens of millions of users and is responsible for upwards of 40% of all unlawful stream-ripping of music from YouTube in the world."'

Paid for streaming is a niche, which makes Tidal MQA service and extreme niche. The future looks grim indeed.

Eventually they "You Tube" are going to be hit and hit hard. As a signal I'd imagine some collateral damage will happen and some individuals posting these type of drops will be made examples of.

MQA streaming may be a "niche," but the technology already exists. Surely, there will be people who will pay for it, and surely, the people selling it would rather sell it for something than not sell it at all. And if you're going to buy streaming, why not opt for better quality?

For streaming to make it as a business it will have to manage several things. Either cut cost or increase subscriptions and subscription rates. On the one hand, the artists will suffer and possibly pull their music, and the other, well there is an unwillingness to do so. Maybe that is why MQA started with the extreme hi Def music niche. They are targeting people who are the most willing to pay for quality, the audiophile.

As for claims that the future belongs to streaming, well won't money have to be made first at some point? Audiophiles are aging and ranks seem to be in decline. The youth simply have other interests and great sounding music playback is something they are not being exposed to like in the past. In fact I have seen first hand that having nice equipment is even ridiculed in today's world of throw away audio. . Music through ear buds is a personal experience and one that likely sounds about the same for everyone and every music resolution.

The only streaming I ever do is with Amazon Prime, for tv shows that aren't interesting enough to purchase on Blu-ray or DVD. For music, I have access to the Amazon Prime streams, as well as the "auto-rip" versions of hundreds of CDs that I have purchased from Amazon over the past 15 years or whatever it's been. They keep adding auto-rips of things I bought ages ago, before it was offered at the time of CD purchase, which is cool. However, I only stream music if I'm doing other things on my computer (like reading threads on AK, or browsing facebook or playing games), and even then, I only stream my pop music. For classical or jazz, I play my CDs or the lossless rips that I've made, and I pay full attention to the music. I never have classical as a background to other activities. Any classical that is unimportant enough to me to serve as background music isn't worth my time at all.

MQA streaming may be a "niche," but the technology already exists. Surely, there will be people who will pay for it, and surely, the people selling it would rather sell it for something than not sell it at all. And if you're going to buy streaming, why not opt for better quality?
Yes, the technology exists, but time will tell if many (or enough) people will want to pay for it to stay as an option. Tidal won't take a loss forever and probably wouldn't re-up their deals with the labels if they can't even break even. No way they'd take anything over nothing, if they continually bleed cash. No one can operate at a loss forever.

How many people listened to cassettes or transistor radios? (and to keep this comparison fair, I'm talking about at home, not on the go) There were better options then, many didn't care then either. Same with now. Many would rather listen to the cheapest option, get it for free off of YouTube, or pirate. SQ generally doesn't factor into people's decisions outside of AK.

People used to look at crappy little B&W television sets back when most cities only had a handful of channels. I guess they were happy. But technology changed and now they watch 60" high definition sets and they pay for hundreds of channels.

Your optimism is nice, but this isn't the 1960's. Everyone had one TV and 4 channels to watch. There are a bazillion more things to worry about or want than Tidal MQA.

Your optimism is nice, but this isn't the 1960's. Everyone had one TV and 4 channels to watch. There are a bazillion more things to worry about or want than Tidal MQA.

Obviously, I won't be the one who decides whether it succeeds or fails. The market forces will decide. I just wouldn't be so quick to pronounce it dead on arrival.

Obviously, I won't be the one who decides whether it succeeds or fails. The market forces will decide. I just wouldn't be so quick to pronounce it dead on arrival.

Nor I either, but I'm rooting for it to stay.

68735054.jpg

Well they just got $10 from me.. I don't know if I will keep paying after this month. I wanted to try Tidal to listen to a few albums before hitting the buy button on amazon for the cd. I have been trying to get used to the streaming way of listening but I run into the same things that cause me to cancel before. Not finding what I want to listen to etc. The music is stalling on each track about 30 seconds in, but just briefly usually. Not sure what that means, if it is grabbing a lower gear (lower resolution) to finish the track or simply buffering more but it always stalls once and then doesn't skip a beat till the next track where it does it again . . It is set to 320kbps but my isp maybe is too slow. In a few day that will change with a new faster plan from the isp.

I have a relatively fast Internet connection with download speeds of 89mbs or so, and usually the streaming works well, but even at that, there's sometimes a hang up. It might be my hardware, but I'm not sure.

I upgraded to Tidal HiFi a few days ago. This is clearly the best streaming quality I've ever heard. For example, the Master's version of Workingman's Dead is revealing detail I've never heard in the 46 years since this was released.

Well they just got $10 from me.. I don't know if I will keep paying after this month. I wanted to try Tidal to listen to a few albums before hitting the buy button on amazon for the cd. I have been trying to get used to the streaming way of listening but I run into the same things that cause me to cancel before. Not finding what I want to listen to etc. The music is stalling on each track about 30 seconds in, but just briefly usually. Not sure what that means, if it is grabbing a lower gear (lower resolution) to finish the track or simply buffering more but it always stalls once and then doesn't skip a beat till the next track where it does it again . . It is set to 320kbps but my isp maybe is too slow. In a few day that will change with a new faster plan from the isp.
I've been trying Tidal on a free trial to see how it plays nice with the system, and while playing some of the Masters, I've had the track stop dead about a minute or two into the song. It's definitely not bandwidth--we have plenty here. This was on the laptop, directly into the Oppo 105 via USB. (I usually don't do that.) The only thing I can think of is that the wireless is a bit weak, but I used to stream high-res via wireless to the 105 and it rarely ever faltered.

Not sold on the sound quality of MQA, so I wouldn't pay extra for it. But for sampling albums before buying, and hearing them in at least CD resolution, it has proven to be useful.

I am running all the computers on ethernet so no wireless here. Still seems like 1mbps speed should be able to drive 320 kbps easily. The dropping out would definitely be a serious issue. I'll find out when I get on the new isp plan in a few days.

I am running all the computers on ethernet so no wireless here. Still seems like 1mbps speed should be able to drive 320 kbps easily. The dropping out would definitely be a serious issue. I'll find out when I get on the new isp plan in a few days.

I don't think the drop outs have anything to do with Tidal. In my case, it's probably just that I've got about 15 things all connected to my wi-fi, including the AiresLightning app on my phone, two IPads, and an IPod.

Back
Top Bottom