Wish for one last AK FEST

Mitchell

Toronto, Canada
Wishing for another Fest since 2012....it was fantastic. Same place would be nice. I had the honor to attend the 2010 and 2012 Fest absolutely the best. Make another Fest and call it the LAST one. Perhaps one for 2018?

I am wishing too much.

Like you, I attended the 2012 AKFest, and my feelings about it are pretty much the same as yours. Grumpy and his crew did an amazing job!

However, I've read Grumpy's posts on the demise of AKFest, and I wholly understand his reasons for letting it fade into a glorious sunset.

Many of us local's would love another AKF, but it is not going to happen.
Wasn't it held at a hotel near Northland? The mall was torn down not too long ago. (My better half works in an office building on Northland Drive, so she's right by there.)

The first several Fests were at the Howard Johnson Plaza hotel on J.L. Hudson Drive. Then came the Embassy Suites, for a couple of years, on Hagerty, the one with the big atrium inside. Then the Sheraton Novi, for the last few. Two?

The first several Fests were at the Howard Johnson Plaza hotel on J.L. Hudson Drive. Then came the Embassy Suites, for a couple of years, on Hagerty, the one with the big atrium inside. Then the Sheraton Novi, for the last few. Two?
J.L. Hudson Dr. would have been the location at Northland. The mall is still standing, but it has closed for good, and the city is talking of beginning the demolition in March. (I thought they had already started.) There is a Plaza hotel on JLH Dr., a high-rise, but it also looks to be abandoned.

The first audio show I ever attended, back in the late 70s, was right around that area--it would have been either on J.L. Hudson Dr. or Northland Dr. I recall it was a red brick multi-story building. I'm guessing it closed in the 90s? It could have been the Northland Inn or Stouffer's Northland Inn.

I attended AKFest 2008, but didn't get to meet many people, was too tired from the drive. Got to enjoy so much good gear, tho.

Can someone briefly explain why these are no more?

I attended AKFest 2008, but didn't get to meet many people, was too tired from the drive. Got to enjoy so much good gear, tho.

Can someone briefly explain why these are no more?

The initial cash outlay and the amount of work necessary are some of the reasons I have heard mentioned.

I was just talking with one of my AKFest Swap Room buddies at a vintage expo today and how much we missed them. That being said, I'm well aware that the train has left the station on that topic.

@onwardjames Kind of off-topic, but have you thought about going to AXPONA? The drive to Chicago might be about the same, or perhaps a bit shorter. I am buying my ticket soon, and I know a couple of others from our local area who are going. It's one of those things where, if we know who's going, we can pick a time/place to meet up and chat for a bit after hours, or visit some of the show. It's not an AK Fest, but still a great way to meet up with some fellow forum pals and shoot the Schiit about our favorite topic. ;)

@onwardjames Kind of off-topic, but have you thought about going to AXPONA? The drive to Chicago might be about the same, or perhaps a bit shorter. I am buying my ticket soon, and I know a couple of others from our local area who are going. It's one of those things where, if we know who's going, we can pick a time/place to meet up and chat for a bit after hours, or visit some of the show. It's not an AK Fest, but still a great way to meet up with some fellow forum pals and shoot the Schiit about our favorite topic. ;)

First I've ever heard about it, Wildcat. Sounds like a good time, never been to Chicago.

First I've ever heard about it, Wildcat. Sounds like a good time, never been to Chicago.
It can be fun. Although after the show I'm usually too tired to head out and go live it up downtown. :D I may have to go to the Redhead Piano Bar, however. I owe my other half a coffee cup--she visited there last year for the redheads convention (yes, there is such a thing :D ) and bought a cup, and I chipped it while loading the dishwasher...

We have a thread here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...a-chicago-april-21-23-2017-whos-going.751057/

Back
Top Bottom