Technics SL-P555 CD Player - Circa 1989 - MASH DAC - Restoration Thread

Finished wiring up the power supply turret board tonight. The CREE Schottky diodes were wired on a separate prototype board. I used a vintage Sprague Vitamin Q cap for bypassing the first filtering stage....

IMG_0958.JPG

I'm betting a chorus of seraphim will sing most sweetly from this cd player when you're finished.

hahaha I couldn't have said better myself!
I am pulling all the stops on this thing so it better deliver!

Today I am wiring up the primary side of the toroid and relocating the original power transformer.
More pics coming soon!

Finished drilling holes for transformers, terminal block and fuse holder. Now I need to wire everything up.
Added a Schurter filtered AC inlet as well.

IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_0969.JPG
IMG_0971.JPG

Last edited:
I've bought Technics 4 MASH players ( 2 singles and 2 carousel changers in thrift stores over the last month or so for under 10 bucks each. They all work perfectly, the mechanics are dead quiet, and they sound is beautifully balanced with no listening fatigue issues at all. Seems like a best kept secret.

I've bought Technics
4 MASH players ( 2 singles and 2 carousel changers in thrift stores over the last month or so for under 10 bucks each. They all work perfectly, the mechanics are dead quiet, and they sound is beautifully balanced with no listening fatigue issues at all. Seems like a best kept secret.

Indeed! I think further 1 bit development yielded perhaps more impressive specs on paper, but no gains in sound quality. As matter of fact, the more complexity in a design the greater the chance for the overall sound quality to suffer. The simplicity of the early MASH players definitely plays a significant role in their overall sonic and mechanical performance.

Gotta love the use of copper on the high end Japanese units! The wood end panels are a nice touch as well.
Do you have the matching transport?
I am also curious about the lithium coin battery on the digital board? Some sort of memory preset for sample rates or filters?

Last edited:
I wish I had the matching transport (SL-Z1000)! I didn't even know the transport existed back when I bought the DAC on ebay.

The X1000 remembers which input of three was engaged when powered off. Also if the Jitter Free circuit is turned on or off for each input. I believe the battery powers the memory for those selections. Sample rate is automatically detected and set by the DAC itself.

Very cool features. How about the wide and narrow switches on the digital inputs?
I had never seen that feature before!

I wish I had the matching transport (SL-Z1000)! I didn't even know the transport existed back when I bought the DAC on ebay.

The X1000 remembers which input of three was engaged when powered off. Also if the Jitter Free circuit is turned on or off for each input. I believe the battery powers the memory for those selections. Sample rate is automatically detected and set by the DAC itself.

The Wide/Narrow switch is for the Jitter Free circuit. Narrow is for very low jitter sources. If the circuit cannot lock or stay locked in Narrow than you switch over to the Wide position. I just leave them on wide on the inputs I use. They have no effect when the Jitter Free circuit is not used.

The Wide/Narrow switch is for the Jitter Free circuit. Narrow is for very low jitter sources. If the circuit cannot lock or stay locked in Narrow than you switch over to the Wide position. I just leave them on wide on the inputs I use. They have no effect when the Jitter Free circuit is not used.
That's a very cool feature and quite ahead of its time. A few years before jitter was given serious consideration in digital design.
I plan to reclock the SPDIF on my SL-P555 and then feed this, hopefully low jitter, signal to my Lampizator Atlantic. We'll see if the sound quality matches USB on the same material (ripped CD files, vs. Original CD).

Back
Top Bottom