just picked up a MC752; It's convincing me I now need a Mac pre-amp.

isotopesope

Well well well, i've gone and done a thing. Just scored a MC752 to send MOAR POWAR! to my Klipsch RP-250's. I am now using my H/K 730 Twin as a pre amp, and I find they sound quite wonderful together.

This is a MONSTROUS step up into a new league, for me.

I've always adored the sound of my H/K, but this McIntosh has changed (or ruined!?) my life! IT SOUNDS SO GOOD! It has taken control of my brain and is telling me I need to consider upgrading to another Mac for yet another huge step up in my stereo setup? (the continual increase of sound quality with each of my upgrades is getting quite addictive!)

I've whittled my interests (and budget) down to the MX series... Primarily the MX-113, but anything from the MX-112 up to perhaps the MX-117 is of interest. I love the idea of the built in tuner, as I do enjoy listening to a few FM public radio stations. I don't really listen to AM. I like the headphone jack on the MX-117, but since I don't own any "real" headphones, I am not too set on that at the moment...

The MX-113 and MX-115 adjustable loudness dial seems like a fun whirrly bit to futz with for dialing in the "best" sound for whichever record I am playing. Is that adjustability "worth" it to any of you more experienced folks?

Some of the C series pre-amps are also of interest, but I haven't researched them much at all... yet. I would probably be bummed to not have a built in tuner though...

Does anyone have any sage advice for me? (other than the fact I am past the point of no return!!)

thanks,
Chris

Congratulations on your acquisition. If you like to change the sound or need to turn it down now and then the loudness contour is a nice feature. If you like to fiddle with the controls for each album then you'll love it. :)

In my point of view the C504 would be a very good choice and not expensive at all .
I remind you that you can use the CD player direct by using the two gain control on the rear of the unit (see my drawing) . You will need a preamplifier only if you want to listen a phono turntable

MC752-01.JPG

Well well well, i've gone and done a thing. Just scored a MC752 to send MOAR POWAR! to my Klipsch RP-250's. I am now using my H/K 730 Twin as a pre amp, and I find they sound quite wonderful together.

This is a MONSTROUS step up into a new league, for me.

I've always adored the sound of my H/K, but this McIntosh has changed (or ruined!?) my life! IT SOUNDS SO GOOD! It has taken control of my brain and is telling me I need to consider upgrading to another Mac for yet another huge step up in my stereo setup? (the continual increase of sound quality with each of my upgrades is getting quite addictive!)

I've whittled my interests (and budget) down to the MX series... Primarily the MX-113, but anything from the MX-112 up to perhaps the MX-117 is of interest. I love the idea of the built in tuner, as I do enjoy listening to a few FM public radio stations. I don't really listen to AM. I like the headphone jack on the MX-117, but since I don't own any "real" headphones, I am not too set on that at the moment...

The MX-113 and MX-115 adjustable loudness dial seems like a fun whirrly bit to futz with for dialing in the "best" sound for whichever record I am playing. Is that adjustability "worth" it to any of you more experienced folks?

Some of the C series pre-amps are also of interest, but I haven't researched them much at all... yet. I would probably be bummed to not have a built in tuner though...

Does anyone have any sage advice for me? (other than the fact I am past the point of no return!!)

thanks,
Chris

Welcome to the McFold! :) And yes, this equipment does have an addictive effect. It's rather like potato chips: you can't eat (well, buy) just one. Several years back, I got a good deal on a McIntosh MC2120. It was the first solid-state power amp I'd used; I liked what I heard, and it had me wanting more of the Mac sound.

I began looking in classified ads and on eBay for a matching Cxx preamp, but quickly found that everything was out of my price range (I worked at a convenience store at the time), and those that weren't (a C27 or C29 listed in the Want Advertiser for $300) had sold by the time I contacted the seller. I filled the hole with a Dynaco PAT-4, and later a Pioneer SPEC-1, but it just wasn't the same.

Several years later, I've now acquired a MC2505 and C26 together as a pair. Having a Mac preamp to run a Mac power amp is definitely the way to go, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, this now has me wanting a Mac tuner to go with them. It truly is a vicious, wonderful-sounding cycle.......... :whip:
-Adam

Was in the same boat with my MX114.... used it with 2 other amps but it kept telling me it wanted a McIintosh amp, along came a MC250 last week, its ruined me as well. My first 2 Mc pieces. :)
man, congratulations! this is my first Mac as well.

Congratulations on your acquisition. If you like to change the sound or need to turn it down now and then the loudness contour is a nice feature. If you like to fiddle with the controls for each album then you'll love it. :)
thanks! that's what I am thinking too, but the penny pincher in me is considering some 112's I've come across recently, simply because they're a bit less expensive.

In my point of view the C504 would be a very good choice and not expensive at all .
I remind you that you can use the CD player direct by using the two gain control on the rear of the unit (see my drawing) . You will need a preamplifier only if you want to listen a phono turntable
hmmm, interesting. the C504 wasn't even on my radar. I RARELY play CDs, but I do have a small Sony DVD player I use for occasional CD use, as well as a JVC cassette deck, which gets used more than the DVD player. both of which are disconnected at the moment, but wouldn't mind them still living in the system.

Several years later, I've now acquired a MC2505 and C26 together as a pair. Having a Mac preamp to run a Mac power amp is definitely the way to go, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, this now has me wanting a Mac tuner to go with them. It truly is a vicious, wonderful-sounding cycle.......... :whip:
hahaha! loving that Whip-Intosh! adding a separate tuner is sort of what I wanted to avoid, by going with these MX series, since I do enjoy my local public radio stations.

I'm more of a record collector than a gear collector, so I want to make a good choice now I can be happy with for years to come! (or so I am telling myself at this moment!!)

Last edited:
I'm a Mac guy , once u go mac nothing will compare !! i love all audio gear but when it comes to sound //music there's only one word "McIntosh '

The MX117 is effectively a C504 with an MR75 on board. I've always thought the MX117 a tremendous value, as well as the MC752 and MC754 power amplifiers.

Welcome to the club!

hahaha! loving that Whip-Intosh! adding a separate tuner is sort of what I wanted to avoid, by going with these MX series, since I do enjoy my local public radio stations.

I'm more of a record collector than a gear collector, so I want to make a good choice now I can be happy with for years to come! (or so I am telling myself at this moment!!)
I would've been fine with a MX-series tuner/pre if it'd been offered with this MC2505 I found, but it ended up being paired with a C26. I have numerous tuners around here, including the lovely Marantz 2110 seen in the thread I linked to. Of course, none of them are made by McIntosh, which is where the "problem" comes in... :crazy:

Many of us try to tell ourselves that we're happy with what we have, but that doesn't always hold up. I've long since lost track of how many iterations my stereo system has gone through over the years, as new interesting gear shows up to displace the existing gear. Perhaps I'm alone in this, though I suspect that's not the case... :rolleyes:
-Adam

thanks for all the additional model suggestions. It is helping me a ton.

the more I research all of my McIntosh options I do keep swaying back to the built-in tuner, affordability, and simplicity of the MX series. There are few options floating around on that popular auction site, as well in BT, so I might pounce quite soon!

thanks again everyone. I'll be sure to update this thread with my next life ruiner!! haha

The MX117 is effectively a C504 with an MR75 on board. I've always thought the MX117 a tremendous value, as well as the MC752 and MC754 power amplifiers.

I can echo this heartily. I'm grateful to have an MX117, as well as a C33 in a different system. The MX gives up some of the C33's insane flexibility (three tape loops, five-band EQ, monitor amp, processor loops, etc.) but in my comparing the two, I think the MX117 and C33 sound equally transparent. They are both beautiful machines to use and to (not) hear.

So isotopesope, if you have a chance to pick up an MX117 or a C504, I predict you and your amp will be happy. And if you listen to FM, it's hard to beat the built-in MR75 tuner in the MX.

So isotopesope, if you have a chance to pick up an MX117 or a C504, I predict you and your amp will be happy. And if you listen to FM, it's hard to beat the built-in MR75 tuner in the MX.
well, i hope so... I just put a bid on a MX113!!! so pumped, and still sort of delirious with the concept of owning two Macs in less than two weeks time. haha hopefully I win the auction!

I'm using a Mc receiver as a pre-amp for my 2120, this gives me the option for more sets of speakers which can be turned on/off anytime should I so desire.

I'm using a Mc receiver as a pre-amp for my 2120, this gives me the option for more sets of speakers which can be turned on/off anytime should I so desire.
I was toying with that idea as well...

Speaking of well.... Well, that MX-113 is officially M I N E ! ! ! I am beside myself with excitement!

dis won:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/mcintosh-mx113-preamp-tunner-/112276871769?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=HKhBrZ%2Bu4jXXIS0OaYgxmvOBasU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

it looks really pristine. Many of the other sub $1k MX's I found had slight to moderate rust pitting in the back, worn lettering, missing small parts, etc. I feel like I got a good price on it, compared to the others I found in my searching, especially for how nice it looks...?

Last edited:
Congrats! I suggest that you purchase the correct McIntosh shipping carton from Audio Classics and have it shipped to the seller to avoid damage in transit.

Congrats! I suggest that you purchase the correct McIntosh shipping carton from Audio Classics and have it shipped to the seller to avoid damage in transit.
Thanks for your suggestion. I've contacted the seller to ask about that.... Judging by the photos, he's definitely a Mac guy.

Back
Top Bottom