Best FM stations in your area

I'm lucky here with 94.9 The Rock (new rock) 35 km south and 91.9 Bob FM (they pitch as "whatever" and play rock from 60's all the way up to new) 60 km north.
Reception for either is usually 60-80% on the strength meter. I also pull in 95.9 from Barrie 100 km northwest another classic rock station.

KRTU 91.7 - All Jazz format from 5am to 10pm.
KQXT 101.9 HD2 - Smooth Jazz 24/7

Both in San Antonio Tx.

WNCW, 88.7
They stream too. Great public station with a Greatful Dead show on Wednesday night and 3 hour blues House Party show on Saturday night just to mention a few.

Mike

WRIR 97.3 Richmond VA. The first low power FM station and supposedly one of the best. NPR talk radio 8-3 M-F and free-form music shows the rest of the time.

WGBH 89.7 PBS Once voted 4th best sounding station in the country.

We had a great sounding FM station here in Austin (KUT 90.5) that split time between NPR and eclectic music programing. But the master minds at the University of Texas decided to buy a vastly inferior station (KUTX 98.9) and move all of the music programing there. The "new" station transmits on a shorter tower, with lower power and is farther away from town. The quality of the broadcast at my house, which ironically is just a few blocks from the UT campus, is a joke compared to what it once was.

But we have a new kid on the block, Sun Radio 100.1, which is almost totally solar powered. They have several transmitters and can be picked up loud and clear across much of the heart of Texas. They call their programing "Americana music". Pretty good stuff.

Probably the best sounding station here, at least in central Austin, is the classical station KMFA 89.5. The fidelity can be amazingly good.

In the San Francisco/Bay Area, these are all excellent

KQED 88.5 NPR
KJFC 89.7 Foothill Junior College excellent varied music programming
KZSU 90.1 Stanford University excellent varied music programming
KPOO 89.5 community radio...great soul, jazz, reggae, blues and oldies shows
KDFC 89.9 Classical
KALX 90.7 University Of Cal./Berkeley excellent varied music programming
KCSM 91.1 jazz
KALW NPR but also great acoustic music programming on weekends
KPFA Pacific Public Radio with great roots music programming on weekends

Very little here worth listening to here besides:

WQZS 93.3 Has some good oldies that aren't heard much elsewhere.
WFSP 107.7 Ditto.
WLSW 103.9 Great oldies and doo wop on the weekends and decent music during the week
WPDX 104.9 Classic country, somewhat repetitive though

Hard for me to get all of these, and unfortunately they don't stream.:thumbsdown:

WGLT 89.1 Illinois State University. "The Best Blues Station on Planet Earth" although I preferred the programming when they were "News, Blues & All That Jazz". Fortunately, Thursday evening is all jazz beginning with Radio Munson. Not the greatest in fidelity but the variety is.

If you want musical variety it would be hard to beat WXPN in Philadelphia. You could conceivably hear Ella Fitzerald, Willie Nelson, Adele and Neil Young played back to back.

105.5 fm WMKX
Sharon Stewart in the morning from 6am to 1pm EST. She will play anything from the The Godz , Budgie , Brownsville Station (not Smokin in the Boys room) , to Sweet . Great music .

Agree with Mamrak1 about Phily WXPN. I listen to them through their translator, WXPH in Middletown (Harrisburg) Pa. Particularly like the 'The Many Moods of Ben Vaughn) on at 5 PM on Saturdays. This station makes my high end tuner collection worthwhile to me.

Back
Top Bottom