Best FM stations in your area

KSDS 88.3FM (aka jazz88.org) - listener supported.

In 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016, KSDS was awarded JazzWeek Magazine's jazz station of the year, determined by the vote of Record Companies, professional peers and readers of JazzWeek.

Straight up jazz 24/7, but with specialty programs for blues, latin jazz, percussive profiles, jazz live!, rug cutters swing, gospel.

The DJs know their jazz.

Here in Canada, 100.7 and 93.5. Both Government public radio stations with eclectic programming (jazz, blues, pop, classical, etc...).

There was once CHOM FM in the 70's programming things like live shows of Genesis but now, it's the always heard same playlist (Stairway to heaven , Pink Floyd...).

KSDS 88.3FM (aka jazz88.org) - listener supported.

In 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016, KSDS was awarded JazzWeek Magazine's jazz station of the year, determined by the vote of Record Companies, professional peers and readers of JazzWeek.

Straight up jazz 24/7, but with specialty programs for blues, latin jazz, percussive profiles, jazz live!, rug cutters swing, gospel.

The DJs know their jazz.
Sounds sweet

WRIR 97.3 Richmond VA. The first low power FM station and supposedly one of the best. NPR talk radio 8-3 M-F and free-form music shows the rest of the time.
Two local college stations that are often as good, at least when they're on:
WDCE, University of Richmond, and WCWM, College of William and Mary.

WWDC 101.1 FM Washington DC area.......Modern Rock
It's been forever since he was on, but Greaseman was a total hoot.

Classic rock, with real DJs ...

site-logo.png

Fun facts: Aris Hampers was a founding member of the band Phlegethon before moving on to play DJ at LAV back in the '70's. Spun his last disk there in 2011 ...

But wait ... there's more! :D

He was instrumental in bringing a band called ... uh ... what was it again ... oh, yeah ... Genesis to the states. First station to play their music here in the states, and it just kinda sorta spread. To show their appreciation, they played his alma mater in Allendale, Michigan (Allendale freakin' Michigan??) as part of their Lamb Lies Down tour.

I know ... I was there! :banana:

Oh, so many...

Best Classic Rock is 92.1 WXEX

Popular morning show: 100.3 WHEB

Classic rock that has been around for ever, WBLM aka The Blimp

Top 40 WERZ 107.1

The band is full of stations - whatever you want is there.

Hey loudnoises,

Have not listened the UNH in a long time - we must be close to each other.

Southern NH is absurdly good for radio, we're damn lucky with that. Im guessing you're farther north tho as BLM is a stretch for me here.

UNH is about 25 miles away, it takes a bit of effort to get it tuned in well. Made myself a quad with a single reflector and not only can i get UNH clear as day, but i can also pick up WERS out of boston if the conditions are right. If i follow through with my plans to get the antenna up a tree BLM wont be an issue anymore. The FM selection here may have something to do with my tuner addiction. Thank goodness they're cheap.

I miss WFMT (Chi.) since we moved to New Mexico 10 yrs. ago. I can get it on i'net but not the same as with my Crown FM-1 tuner. Something is missing.

KZOK with Danny Bonaduchi

Western Washington has always been flush on FM staitions.
I listen to Danny every morning on my commute, quite a hoot. But KZOK's real gems are their special programs, the Psychadellic Sixties on Saturdays and Breakfast with the Beatles on Sunday. They also do a Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd show that I am not as familiar with. The most amazing station in town, however, would be KEXP. Generally rock, but nothing that you hear anywhere else. Plus special shows that cover world, surf, old school country, you name it. Non corporate radio that is managed by people who just love music.

I listen to Danny every morning on my commute, quite a hoot. But KZOK's real gems are their special programs, the Psychadellic Sixties on Saturdays and Breakfast with the Beatles on Sunday. They also do a Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd show that I am not as familiar with. The most amazing station in town, however, would be KEXP. Generally rock, but nothing that you hear anywhere else. Plus special shows that cover world, surf, old school country, you name it. Non corporate radio that is managed by people who just love music.

Exactly.....

I don't think any other part of the country has FM like Western Washington no matter what kind of music you like and the clarity is better that Spotify.....depending on your tuner. FM in the car in stereo is phenomenal everywhere you drive.

Southern NH is absurdly good for radio, we're damn lucky with that. Im guessing you're farther north tho as BLM is a stretch for me here.

UNH is about 25 miles away, it takes a bit of effort to get it tuned in well. Made myself a quad with a single reflector and not only can i get UNH clear as day, but i can also pick up WERS out of boston if the conditions are right. If i follow through with my plans to get the antenna up a tree BLM wont be an issue anymore. The FM selection here may have something to do with my tuner addiction. Thank goodness they're cheap.

I'm on the road in the Portsmouth area all the time, so all ME stations are pretty well received.

I do have an SAE tuner I do not use that is exceptional. I should use it, but it does not match my other components and I'm weird like that.

WFPK 91.9 Mix of Adult Album Alternative so they claim, Louisville Ky.........http://wfpk.org/stream/
WUOL 90.5 Classical Louisville Ky.
WFPL 93.1 NPR and Talk Louisville Ky.
WNAS 88.1 New Albany Ind. Oldest High School radio station in the U.S.A.
WTTS 92.3 Commercial Radio in Bloomington Ind. when the radio Gods cooperate with antenna.
WJAA 96.3 Commercial Radio in Seymour Ind. when the radio Gods cooperate with antenna.

Barney

In Los Angeles KXLU 88.9 fm (eclectic)
KPFK 90.7 FM (sat 6-8am) roots and beyond, sun mid - 3am mon RISE Jazz (Strata East, Black Saint labels, etc.)
KCSN 88.5 (sunday 6am-3pm) americana/roots
KISL 88.7 Avalon M-W-F 7pm-9pm americana/roots (Ben Vaughn)

We have two good public radio stations within earshot - WCNY FM out of Syracuse, which is basically classical music, and WRVO out of Oswego, which is largely NPR news/syndicated public radio. And then there's the mighty NCPR, aka WSLU, out of Canton NY, which is pretty close to my ideal of what a radio station should be. In a weird way it's a throwback, though radio over the last 25 years has become so factionalized I think few people remember the notion of a "full service" station. NCPR does a lot of everything - it carries some NPR programming but isn't a slave to it; has a superb, award-winning local news operation; still programs a variety of local music shows during the day. Yes, in other places you can get an "all NPR" channel and then an "all classical" channel or, not so often, an "all jazz" channel, but this is rarer and better, a place where lots of different kinds of things rub shoulders. Everyone in a small town should be so lucky.

s.

Back
Top Bottom