just picked up a MC752; It's convincing me I now need a Mac pre-amp.

Congratulations on your choice. I installed a number of 113's and they never disappointed. Especially with a good FM antennae on the roof. The little 752 is a great little amp. It works especially well with very efficient speakers, and having Power Guard will keep your speakers safe.

That's great to hear! My Klipschs are pretty sensitive at 96 db. They sound quite good connected to the 752 with my setup now.

Congratulations on your choice. I installed a number of 113's and they never disappointed. Especially with a good FM antennae on the roof. The little 752 is a great little amp. It works especially well with very efficient speakers, and having Power Guard will keep your speakers safe.

You got a really good price on a spotless looking unit, congrats! Just wait until you hear a Mac pre!!!!!
THANKS! I am glad to hear that. I felt like I got a good price too, especially for how flawless it looks... I feel like I got a great deal on my MC752 as well, at $720 shipped. It is also in perfect condition.

CAN IT BE FRIDAY YET!?

also, the seller did not have the original box, but he is a Mac guy and ensured me and insured me that he would pack it safely, in a similar fashion as the factory. We'll find out on Friday!

Crap, now to decide which LP to play thru the Stack-Intosh first!?

Well, I received the preamp today. Definitely a clean unit. I got everything hooked up, dialed in an FM station, played some records, cds, cassettes, then went back to FM. No sound.

Any ideas? I see there's movement in the tuning meter. AM gets sound. When in FM and crank the volume, I barely hear it.

The sound is nice, but didn't blow me away. Sorta lacks bottom end compared to my h/k. The volume is pretty scratchy, so I'll need to try to pull this puppy apart to clean it. Maybe this thing needs professional attention?

because stackIntosh:
y3mKe67--m0FC7LkeBY-_xOMHB6bfHd45byt-bTeeYZ-iElZ5WdD3UCme2yTZRR_tGHms92Uh57L8kktOYxS7dUV8wS0p8ECjpLNwW1cBj73TJznc64BgaqJn1h8_V5vF_wUragObYsw4ZkvG_J4CLvukkE9Lvs_ssI2E4vKtFiBDU

Last edited:
If the unit hasn't been completely serviced and the tuner aligned in the last ten years, it's well beyond due. Just part of it with a 40 yo piece.

Oh - congrats that the seller packed it properly!

Probably dirty contacts in the input switcher. I was recently trying to troubleshoot the turn-off thump issue with my C26, and tried turning off the main speakers using the speaker switcher on the front. When I turned the C26 back on, I turned the main speakers back on, and got only silence. Played with the main speaker button, and the speakers came back on. Guessing you're experiencing something similar with the MX-113, and some DeOxit on the switch contacts should do the trick. Nice find, BTW!
-Adam

Well, I received the preamp today. Definitely a clean unit. I got everything hooked up, dialed in an FM station, played some records, cds, cassettes, then went back to FM. No sound.

Any ideas? I see there's movement in the tuning meter. AM gets sound. When in FM and crank the volume, I barely hear it.

The sound is nice, but didn't blow me away. Sorta lacks bottom end compared to my h/k. The volume is pretty scratchy, so I'll need to try to pull this puppy apart to clean it. Maybe this thing needs professional attention?

I would be concerned if it blew you away, good or bad, Mac sound is much more subtle than that.

The MX114 was designed in 67-68 just after the C26 and MX112 with a AM/FM tuner while the MX114 is FM only. It was in production for 2 or 3 years before being replaced by the MX115. Any unit of this age really must be purchased with the full expectation that it will need some attention, professional or otherwise.

The recent posts regarding the C26 preamp apply here since the circuits of all the MX units after the MX110 and before the MX117 use basically C26 preamp circuits.

Clean the the volume control with Caig Faderlube....other chemicals put the adhesive holding the carbon resistive element at risk.

Quick question, is that Faderlube in a green can? Bought some and sent it back because Parts Express said it was for plastic parts...

Yes I believe it has been in a green can for a while now. Faderlube has lubricant in it too help the slider type controls to work freely and therefore works well for the typical potentiometers.

Plastic based pots have issues that are in many ways worse than the carbon ones so I guess PE is emphasizing that.

Thanks, so F5 Faderlube was what I sent back, guess I'l order another can. Appreciate the help.:thumbsup: ISO that tuner pre looks great!

Well my wife and I spent A LOT of time listening to the McIntosh this weekend with a big variety of our favorite records. We even did three Pepsi challenge sessions, switching back and forth between the h/k and the Mac with the same record side... Ultimately, we both agreed the McIntosh is far superior!

The h/k has a low damping factor of 30, so the bass is big and booming. Initially, I was not used to the change; the Mac almost seemed empty by comparison. As I continued to listen, I started depicting lots more separation, a more detailed sound stage, and just a clearer sound. As we compared back and forth, the bass of the h/k seemed too booming and clouded the rest of the sounds in ways.

Other than the FM and the scratchy pots, the only other apparent issue is that it has a hiss when it's on with no music. Any tips?

Probably dirty contacts in the input switcher. I was recently trying to troubleshoot the turn-off thump issue with my C26, and tried turning off the main speakers using the speaker switcher on the front. When I turned the C26 back on, I turned the main speakers back on, and got only silence. Played with the main speaker button, and the speakers came back on. Guessing you're experiencing something similar with the MX-113, and some DeOxit on the switch contacts should do the trick. Nice find, BTW!
-Adam
That's a hopeful possibility. The previous owner said he never used FM, so maybe it is dirty! Thanks for the accolades! I'm really excited about the pristine cosmetic condition it's in!

I would be concerned if it blew you away, good or bad, Mac sound is much more subtle than that.

The MX114 was designed in 67-68 just after the C26 and MX112 with a AM/FM tuner while the MX114 is FM only. It was in production for 2 or 3 years before being replaced by the MX115. Any unit of this age really must be purchased with the full expectation that it will need some attention, professional or otherwise.

The recent posts regarding the C26 preamp apply here since the circuits of all the MX units after the MX110 and before the MX117 use basically C26 preamp circuits.

Clean the the volume control with Caig Faderlube....other chemicals put the adhesive holding the carbon resistive element at risk.
I'll look for the faderlube. I have the Caig deoxit now.

Thanks for the "subtle" suggestion. You're really right. It took a lot of listening to get used to the change, but also to slowly discover all the nuances of the improvements as revealed by different records and just more time.

I'll look for the faderlube. I have the Caig deoxit now.

Thanks for the "subtle" suggestion. You're really right. It took a lot of listening to get used to the change, but also to slowly discover all the nuances of the improvements as revealed by different records and just more time.
Standard DeOxit is fine to use for switch contacts and whatnot, though you should try your best to keep it away from phenolic parts if possible (i.e. only on the metal parts). Faderlube is more for volume controls and slider pots (aka "faders"). They sell it both as a spray can (either as a 5% or 100% solution), and as a dropper bottle of pure FaderLube (i.e. F100L). Note, however, that the F100L is not cheap; I paid over $20 for a tiny 25mL dropper bottle of the stuff, though given that I bought it with the intention of using it to clean the slider switches in one of these, I think it was money well spent.......... :biggrin:
-Adam

Marketing departments relish massive changes, music in it's naturalist form doesn't work that way. Heck, give me a hot soldering iron, some caps or inductors and some resistors and I can give you huge, breath taking audio changes. They won't necessarily be musical but they will be stunning.....

Allow me to quote myself for a moment:
Several years later, I've now acquired a MC2505 and C26 together as a pair. Having a Mac preamp to run a Mac power amp is definitely the way to go, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, this now has me wanting a Mac tuner to go with them. It truly is a vicious, wonderful-sounding cycle.......... :whip:
-Adam
Well sure enough, I recently spotted a MR73 tuner listed for sale in the BT thread for last month's New England AK get-together, and after some discussion with the seller, it is now mine! :biggrin: Here is a picture of it:
mr73.jpg

The endcaps and knobs weren't original when I got it, but after a nice trade with Mike G., it now 'looks the part' in the latter sense. The glass has some bubbling, but not too bad. The dial is a bit off on AM, but it seems to work quite well otherwise, including that lovely 'electron-ray indicator'. As I said before, I didn't really need another tuner, but it's nice to have something that matches the MC2505 and C26. It definitely is a sickness, I tells ya.......... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy::whip::whip::whip:
-Adam

If the unit hasn't been completely serviced and the tuner aligned in the last ten years, it's well beyond due. Just part of it with a 40 yo piece.

Oh - congrats that the seller packed it properly!
Yep....It's time for a trip to Terry. Start off right. I have a MR-78 will him....It will be worth the wait.

Looking good Adam and it appears the Mcbug has really bitten you. The 73 is an excellent performer along with being a fine looking tuner. I wonder how it compares to the Marantz tuner that you had at the meet?

Thanks, so F5 Faderlube was what I sent back, guess I'l order another can. Appreciate the help.:thumbsup: ISO that tuner pre looks great!
You'll want two things: Get a can of the D5 for cleaning switch contacts, and F5 for cleaning pots, and DO NOT MIX THEM UP! My uncle destroyed the bass & treble sliders on his 1900 receiver by spraying contact cleaner (like D5) on 'em. The cleaning agents in contact cleaner will do a number on the resistive element in a pot.

Looking good Adam and it appears the Mcbug has really bitten you. The 73 is an excellent performer along with being a fine looking tuner. I wonder how it compares to the Marantz tuner that you had at the meet?
I have yet to compare them side-by-side, but I think the MR73 likely has the edge performance-wise with its extra IF stage. It appears to use a 4-gang tuning capacitor, compared to three on the 2110, so it should be more selective on the FM end of things. Feature-wise, the meters and 'magic eye' tube on the MR73 might not be as fancy (or fun to watch) as the 2110's oscilloscope tube, but the fact that you don't have to switch between modes to use them is a definite plus. Besides, it should be about listening to the music being received, not watching the squiggly line dance around the screen.
You'll want two things: Get a can of the D5 for cleaning switch contacts, and F5 for cleaning pots, and DO NOT MIX THEM UP! My uncle destroyed the bass & treble sliders on his 1900 receiver by spraying contact cleaner (like D5) on 'em. The cleaning agents in contact cleaner will do a number on the resistive element in a pot.
Well, I wouldn't be as drastic as that, but it's definitely something to keep in mind. I've sprayed DeOxit into rotary potentiometers used in my preamps and receivers, and they weren't destroyed. As long as you're careful, they should be fine, though it'd be a good idea to apply some FaderLube afterwards to restore the lubrication within. Of course, there are definitely exceptions out there, as I discovered to my horror when I attempted to clean the volume control on my Zenith Royal 500H transistor radio. The quick spritz of DeOxit utterly destroyed the notoriously-delicate carbon track inside the tiny potentiometer; I'm not sure that using FaderLube instead would've saved it, but it's definitely food for thought..........
-Adam

Back
Top Bottom