Pioneer HPM-100s - Who has them?

His question was whether they were the best PIONEER ever made. But I don't think that's the case either - I love mine, truly, and they are far, far better than much of what Pioneer made (rightly excluding TAD). But I have never heard the HPM-150, 1500, 200...all of these speakers have people on AK who believe strongly they are better than the HPM-100.

The 100's weigh about 60 lbs each, to answer your other question.

Well i"m gonna keep my eye peeled for a pair, i"ve always been so into klipsch I never paid much attention to pioneer speaks. So the pecking order is the 200 then the 150 and the 100. Theres a clean pair of 100"s on the bay for 500, I had no idea they brought that kind of cash, of coarse theres no bids either lol.......Roost

Most people say the HPM-900 sounds better than the HPM-100. I went with the 100 for the availability (I wanted a vintage Pioneer speaker of the same era), longevity, and good looks. The 900 has the vinyl wrap which didn't interest me. Sound quality wasn't the final consideration, only because I never expected a 35 year old speaker design to be able to compete with newer technology to begin with, so I was awesomely surprised when I was able to get a respectable sound out of them. Very respectable!

There was an AKer a while back who put walnut veneer on his HPM-900s and it came out looking great! Maybe I'll get that opportunity down the road.

As for the HPM-150 and 1500, they use the exact same midrange and tweeter technology as the 100, so these designs haven't really been of much interest to me as Pioneer made better quality and therefore better sounding drivers in newer models.

Last edited:
Owning a pair of 100s is like owning a classic. It's nice to own a true classic from that era. They sound plenty good to my ears, but then I prefer that 'edgy' sound. It's definitely not a laid back sound. They pair very well with my Sansui G-8000.

Owning a pair of 100s is like owning a classic. It's nice to own a true classic from that era. They sound plenty good to my ears, but then I prefer that 'edgy' sound. It's definitely not a laid back sound. They pair very well with my Sansui G-8000.

Nice. I see a Laura Branigan album there... :D I have the same. :yes:

Hey Rob -

My system seems to be in a state of constant evolution. :) Since those pictures were taken, other equipment has been added. Sadly, none of it really stellar, but I'm having a ball just discovering new (old) gear, along with more vinyl. I need to update my photos soon.

The L.B. LP was picked up sometime last year at a garage sale. Hadn't heard her in years. Just a couple of weeks ago, a local guy was selling a pile of LPs. 5000 in all. My son and I were there early and walked away with 20 near mint LPs. There were so many, that I took my wife back later in the day to help look through more bins. Thinking they were still $1 a piece, when I went to pay for them (another pile of 20), she had reduced the price to $.50 each. There was still bins and bins we never made it through. It was a good day though for LP hunting! :D

Wow.. 5000 ? How does one listen to all of them ??????
That's nothing. Last year, I visited a guy up the road to buy some vintage gear, and his double-car garage was stuffed full of LPs. He had built special shelving just to hold all 50,000 of them! :yes: Obviously he was collector. He was in no hurry to get rid of any either. Apparently he buys large lots of them from other people who have collected them over a lifetime. He had another 40,000 45s in boxes in his basement too. I walked away with three pretty nice vintage pieces for < $40. :D

Last edited:
Hi !!!!
Im new here and have had a pair of MPH 60's for 10 years paid $200 for them , I'm now waiting on my first pair of MPH 100b's to arrive !!! bought them from a guy in dallas tx. ............. do you know what a good pair of these cost now ? i paid $1000 and thats not the highest price !! they are going for more than that !!
I'm looking forward to pulling them in , any advice for owning them ?
the new guy

Hi !!!!
Im new here and have had a pair of MPH 60's for 10 years paid $200 for them , I'm now waiting on my first pair of MPH 100b's to arrive !!! bought them from a guy in dallas tx. ............. do you know what a good pair of these cost now ? i paid $1000 and thats not the highest price !! they are going for more than that !!
the new guy

My standard advice is to recap the crossovers. It's inexpensive and easy and improves the HPM's greatly. There's a detailed thread about it around here somewhere.

I recently took my 100's out of semi-retirement because I needed something LOUD and STURDY to help me with drum practice. My God, I love those speakers!

IMG_20170203_2327540[1926].jpg

I have 2 pr - 4 hooked up to my SX-9100 system that includes the QL-600A for surround sound play - I love these speakers!

Just wondering who here owns any HPM 100's and what do you like about them?

I currently have 3 pairs I'm using for my 6.1 HT system, but I'll switch a pair out every once-in-a-while and hook it up to one of my Pioneer rigs and listen some good old rock-n-roll.

What first turned me on to these speakers back in the 70's was the Simon and Garfunkel song "The Boxer". A buddy of mine had a pair with the grills off and turned up the bass a little for that song and WOW!!! I thought the woofer was going fly out of that speaker. I'd never heard or saw anything like it. You HPM 100 owners, if you ever have the chance, and if you haven't yet, get yourself the album, CD, tape, etc, of that Simon and Garfunkel tune and play it through those HPM 100s, but be careful not to have the bass up too loud and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Let's hear from you HPM 100 owners!!! :thmbsp:

Retro

Have only owned 60's, 3 sets of 100's = best surround sound ever heard!

My standard advice is to recap the crossovers. It's inexpensive and easy and improves the HPM's greatly. There's a detailed thread about it around here somewhere.

I recently took my 100's out of semi-retirement because I needed something LOUD and STURDY to help me with drum practice. My God, I love those speakers!

View attachment 862815
nice set up !!! i looked for that thread , but it did not show up in a search here ??
kevin

Hi !!!!
the new guy
Definitely recap them and give the controls a thorough Deoxit treatment!!! Had a pair of them and the 60's that after deoxiting the controls sounded so much better.... the highs had been just a little attenuated. I would also recommend some speaker stands kind of like these. Disclaimer I am not the seller nor am I endorsing these, just showing an example. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Wal...127346?hash=item1ebffe36f2:g:3XkAAOSwGotWkqH-

nice set up !!! i looked for that thread , but it did not show up in a search here ??
kevin

Thanks! I've been spending A LOT of time in that room lately. The speakers get so loud sometimes that I can feel the breeze from their ports. I'm driving them with the Onkyo TX-6500 MKII in my avatar.

Anyway, here's the original thread that I followed: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-hpm-100-recapping-walkthrough.120454/

The pictures weren't displaying when I checked a few minutes ago but it's a super old thread and the pictures might have moved or been removed.

Good luck! It's WELL worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom