OMG.....fingers crossed.

Thanks all, kinda strange to wake up at 1 in the morning to have coffee with the wife, walk in the living room and see something bigger than me.....Or as large framed as I am :eek:.

I think everything was fair, 18 with tax. And he threw in the Quantum 5's with a new foam kit, the owner had showroom quality stands made for these also,just fantastic workmanship. they are in mint condition as well, I mean their so nice feed-n-wax isn't needed. Amazing to find in such nice condition, this fella reallly cared for his equipment. The QLS-1 cabinets IMHO are showroom quality, it doesn't get any better. Grills included.

The QLS-1's aren't without problems, the right speaker, number 1670 mids and emits are randomly playing. The emits are more problematic. 1669 seems to be OK and working. So it looks like I'll be diving head first into those pesky pots and possibly a re-cap. Condition wise, the mids all work, they're soft and supple,the emits look fine I see no evidence of being overdriven. I'm a 100% sure the crossovers are where there work is. Honestly I'm a bit intimidated by their size.

Even with the problems, everything I've read is true. They do sound a bit boxy but bass and soundstage is huge. I love everything about them !

My XPR GEN-2 did OK, for what I listen to it was pleasing to the ear at modest levels, when these are paid off it's going to be McIntosh, 352 or 401 to finish everything off.

I'm not going to be pesky and ask a bunch of questions. There's plenty to thank from the owners here with archived info from those that have been here and done it. That's my starting point. I promise to have pics up asap.

Again I want to Thank All !

Oh yeah almost forgot, you guys spotted those green mids ! They are an infinity product ! For car audio ! Well done. I have the brochure, I doubt I'll replace them they sound fine.

And for you hardcore guys, the letter I have from Infinity to this gentlemen, is for some sort of device for the QRS. A speaker I didn't even know existed.

It's hand signed by a Bascom H King. On official Infinity Letterhead dated November 1, 1978

Last edited:
Wow, it's great the cabinets are nice. They are really the only parts that are not replaceable. I hate to tell you this but you most likely will need to remove the tweeter array. All the emits will need to be checked and read around 5-6 ohm. The whole array can be checked as it can be "unplugged" from the ox and should read around 3ohm. Listen to each mid. If yours all work that will be a first. The pots need to be removed for proper cleaning. Looking forward to hear your progress. Great to get the q5 as well! To bad they didn't have the QRS to throw in the deal ;)

A complete pair of QLS-1 with a "showroom" quality finish AND a fresh pair of Q5's? It sounds like you got a pretty sweet deal!

Intermittent mids and tweets are almost surely those pots but they come apart and clean up easily. Be sure to lube them with something like FaderLube once you get them all cleaned up.

The "boxy" sound will go away when you get all 16 front EMITs working right. They need to have the solder reflowed at the little rivet that connects the traces to the wiring point. It's very easy and can be done without removing them from the speaker. You will need a well tinned, low power (15-23 watts) iron and a pair of 6-32, 1 1/2" screws to use as a jig so those samarium cobalt magnets don't snap together on your fingers.

I would love to hear mine with either of those McIntosh amps you mentioned!

As far as those green car stereo speakers go, if it was me, with a complete and beautiful pair of QLS-1's, I'd replace those things with a pair of the originals. They are easily available and I suspect that the green ones are 4 ohm like most car audio speakers. The originals are 8 ohms and IMHO, are way too loud at 8 ohms, I can't image them at +3 dB. I have mine turned down to about 9 'o clock.

Please "be pesky and ask a bunch of questions". Owners of classic Infinity speakers love to discuss them!

I won't get to them until this weekend, 1670 will be first. I'm sure hoping if I'm reading you right I can use the multimeter and check the entire string of emits, so if it reads 3 ohms I'm good. Man I pray that's the case cause I don't want to remove anything other than the woofer to access the crossover. Nothing on the emit array or mids has ever been touched by a screwdriver.

I've had to reflow the solder on emit-k's once so I'm kind of hip there, just hope I don't have to remove them.

Chef, man if you guys could see them. Literally not a scratch, mark on them, the veneer looks like it just came out of the factory. It's what really sold me I just can't get over how strikingly beatiful they are.

Those green mids seem to integrate well to my ears, I think I like the previous owners idea, but I'm not ruling out the originals, there's a pair on the auction site right now.

Chef, man if you guys could see them. Literally not a scratch, mark on them, the veneer looks like it just came out of the factory. It's what really sold me I just can't get over how strikingly beatiful they are.

If only there was some way to capture light bouncing off an object and record it in some way that could be digitized into a computer file and sent to this site to be decoded back into light!

:needpics:

Chef free how did you reflow the solder on your emits without removing them. Mine were wired in so tight they all had to come out...

7.62 If you take out the woofer and remove the polyfill or insulation you will see the crossover. Though it will must likely look like a birds nest it is very well thought out. The tweeter array is clipped in to a row of wire connectors which holds other components for the xo. Just unclip them and check the whole thing. Tweeter wires are blue and blue/black I believe.
Jim

Chef free how did you reflow the solder on your emits without removing them. Mine were wired in so tight they all had to come out...

I removed all six screws, then threaded in the 1 1/2 " "jig screws", next I removed the wood screws and opened the tweeters by removing the front cover. The rivets were exposed enough to touch them with the iron's tip. That did the trick on the first touch for all but two stubborn ones, they need a bit of fresh solder.

All of the tweeters were working but some were louder than others. After the repair these speakers opened up and really started imaging. It got better as I turned the EMITs louder and reduced the volume on the domes.

I was wondering the same thing, chef is a magician! :)

I took the day off yesterday, moved the 1's into the office and setup the 5's in the living room. It's a nice speaker in its own right, boy the bass from the Watkins is sumptin else isn't it.

The good news after pulling the woofers and testing/fiddling with the crossover pots with power only to the high pass all of the emits and midranges are working, I was able to hear every driver clearly so for now I'm not removing anything.

The bad news is I still have no way to post pics, soon. And I think one of the original woofers from the QLS1's is blown or damaged. One woofer is nice and springy/floats in the basket. The other is very taught in the basket and has almost no movement side to side. When I put downward pressure on the cone from any angle it rubs scratches on something below the spider. Not good.

rightous! Sounds like you may be sending a woofer to Watson for a rebuild? Be sure to test both before sending one off.

Looking good. Most would want the tweeters in the center as per QLS manual.

Chef free, Thanks for the tip on fixing the emits without removing them.

Thanks, I was just reading the manual last night on setup, and the tip on the emits. It's all kinda happened so fast and I've not had much time. The day I took off mostly involved moving stuff so I could accommodate all the new stuff...haha.

The 5's are in the living room now and the 1's are in the office where I can work on them, I got my email from Mr Watkins so the original woofers are taking the ride on Monday.

Over the weekend I'll start a thread on the 5's. I don't think I can keep them as I just dont have the room but I'm betting this is one of the nicest pairs on the planet, I think I have the picture thing down and you guys should see them, they represent the quality of the 1's in every way.

Where I'm at a crossroads right now is the crossovers, while there down should I have them recapped or leave them original, from what my eyes see everything looks good, no leaking, swollen or otherwise. Everything looks as fresh as the day they were made. It's not something I want to do, am I capable probably. I've read everything I can find here and everyone reports great results.

On my break today I'm going to stop at an audio repair shop that I've never dealt with before to discuss removing the crossovers and having them recapped if he's willing to do that kind of work. I'm thinking all Jantzen,mills resistors keeping to the original values. The original chokes will stay.

Back
Top Bottom