My Baby Girl and I need your positive thoughts

Going to be long but I need to make a progress update.
This was rough.
We got her checked in at the hospital at 1:00 on Friday but they had 3 other surgeries both waiting and in progress so she didn't even get into the OR til close to 3:00pm. We had to check her into the holding area because she is dog-aggressive and we couldn't hang on the her in the waiting area very long. When her time came one of the assistants came out to where we were and asked if we could come and help because Pandi was growling at her every time she tried to open her pen. Pam and I went back to the holding area and got inside her pen and wrestled her muzzle and leash on her and then we took her to the OR and the whole time she was bucking up and down trying to get her muzzle off then I started having a bad asthma attack because of the adrenaline rush and thought I was going to have a stroke! I finally got out of there and to my inhaler and meds and got thru it but just couldn't go back in.
They finally got underway and it took the better part of an hour and then the Dr came out with the tumor. He said he had to take her whole paw pad off - she's got pretty big feet and it was a pretty big tumor too. He handed it to me and it was very thick and felt hard. He said she had been in pain long enough and when she gets thru with recovering, she would be a lot better.
He said the surgery was a pretty big deal because of the tendons, ligaments and lots of blood vessels. They used lasers to cauterize the blood vessels and help deaden some of the nerve endings. But, when they brought her out of the anesthesia the Dr gave her a pretty big shot of morphine and a couple of nurses had to help him to get her off the table and on to the floor, then they called for me and Pam.
I guess the morphine was causing her to hallucinate and she was very vocal about it and when I stepped thry the door-way Pam said, "Mark, don't come in here!" That caused me to go into another asthma episode and I had to leave again - Pam stayed with her and I went to the parking lot again and tried to recover in the car. After about 20 minutes I was able to muster my shit back up and went back in to give Pam a break and when I got on the OR floor I held her and told her Daddy was there. She tried to wag her tail and give me a kiss and I knew she knew I was with her but she kept trying to get up because she wanted out of there.
This went on for about another half hour then we started getting her meds and other gear to leave.
We arrived back home close to 6 pm and our other girl Remi (14yrs) was waiting as the "welcome home wagon" with lots of smelling, kisses, tail wagging and then gave her a bath. Pandi knew she was back home.
Poor baby was in a lot of pain most of the evening so around 8 Pam gave her a dose of her pain med and in about an hour she seemed to calm down. Pam and Remi slept in one of the guest bedrooms and Pandi-poo and me slept together in the big bed (like we always do). I got up around 2 am and was able to get her up and coaxed her out to the backyard to pee since I knew she hadn't peed since way before we went to the hospital and after that we both slept pretty good.
I know she is going to feel like hammered crap for quite awhile but we can help with that and as for me, I don't feel like she is slipping away from me anymore.

Sounds like a good prognosis. I'm glad she's back home with you. With that kind of care, she should be 100% in no time at all.

I do hope this is the last of it and the healing can begin for Pandi. I sure know about doggie aggressiveness as our Aussie is that way too.Thanks for the update!

I know she is going to feel like hammered crap for quite awhile but we can help with that and as for me, I don't feel like she is slipping away from me anymore.

She's not, nor ever will..

I'm glad she's back home with you. With that kind of care, she should be 100% in no time at all.

For sure, dosmalo is going to kill himself to make sure Pandi is ok.

This is Pam, Mark's wife. I want to thank everyone for the prayers & positive vibes sent Pandi's way. My mom is a prayer warrior & she has 2 friends that she hangs out with. I call them the "Golden Girls". They prayed for Pandi as well. Thank you again for your support. We appreciate you more than you'll ever know.

I have to share this.
One of the 1st things a person notices at the animal hospital is that there are several dogs on the premises that apparently have free reign to go where ever they want - one reason I always want Pandi muzzled.
Anyway, while we were in the waiting room, this guy (his name is "Stainer") very calmly walked out of the hallway and and made a casual bee-line for me.
He walked up to me and laid his head head in my lap then slipped down and casually walked back behind the counter and disappeared.
If Pam hadn't caught a few pics, I'd have sworn I was hallucinating. It was amazing.WP_20170210_14_39_11_Pro.jpg WP_20170210_14_39_01_Pro.jpg WP_20170210_14_38_53_Pro.jpg

Stainer looks like a Bull terrier. Such a wonderful, misunderstood breed.

Dos, man, I'm sure hoping that your baby is on the road to recovery. And Pam, thanks for checking in. Take care of them both.

I have to share this.
One of the 1st things a person notices at the animal hospital is that there are several dogs on the premises that apparently have free reign to go where ever they want - one reason I always want Pandi muzzled.
Anyway, while we were in the waiting room, this guy (his name is "Stainer") very calmly walked out of the hallway and and made a casual bee-line for me.
He walked up to me and laid his head head in my lap then slipped down and casually walked back behind the counter and disappeared.
If Pam hadn't caught a few pics, I'd have sworn I was hallucinating. It was amazing.View attachment 867844 View attachment 867845 View attachment 867846

That dog KNEW that you needed some puppy love right at that moment !

This community has been so great and the prayers, thoughts, well-wishes and positive vibes came pouring in when I really needed them the most.
I wanted to take this opportunity to hopefully make an official close to this thread.
I'm putting up some pics of Pandi's post-op paw where the paw pad was removed to get rid of that tumor. She has healed well and has really been a trooper.
A couple of weeks ago she started putting quite a bit of weight on it and even though she has the expected limp, she is doing quite well with it and we are taking every opportunity we can to go for short walks. Once her walking harness is on, that's her que to pull :thumbsup: and that really helps put some weight on that foot.
I've mentioned here and in other threads several times that AK is really my only social media and all of you people really are great.
My heart felt thanks once again for being here for us when we needed it so much!
As you can see in the one pic, she's relaxed and the chronic pain of the tumor is gone.WP_20170319_16_13_21_Pro.jpg WP_20170319_16_18_59_Pro.jpg

Back
Top Bottom