New Mossberg "Shorty" shotgun, no NFA tax stamp required !

I just read up on the technicality they use to make the gun with a barrel shorter than 18". Just a matter of time before they close the loophole... I'll keep mine just the way they are.

defendermarine10.jpg

I just read up on the technicality they use to make the gun with a barrel shorter than 18". Just a matter of time before they close the loophole... I'll keep mine just the way they are.

Care to elaborate?

Thanks.

Care to elaborate?

Thanks.

It has never been fitted/designed with a shoulder stock/buttstock (pistol grip only) and overall length is >26".

The key here is that it was never made with a buttstock. Which means you can't take your old 870 (not that you would) cut off the stock and saw off the barrel. That doesn't count as the same because it was intended as a shoulder-fired shotgun from the get go.

My goodness - all that 12 gauge power for under $500 ($455 MSRP) ;)

Mossberg-590-variant.png
"The 590 Shockwave from Mossberg offers civilian shooters a 14-inch-barreled shotgun with no NFA restrictions."

Last edited:
It has never been fitted/designed with a shoulder stock/buttstock (pistol grip only) and overall length is >26".

The key here is that it was never made with a buttstock. Which means you can't take your old 870 (not that you would) cut off the stock and saw off the barrel. That doesn't count as the same because it was intended as a shoulder-fired shotgun from the get go.

Thank you very much!

For those of us in CA, there is also the issue of the gun being on the "Roster". If it's not on the approved list, you can't buy it in the state.

Correct....the overall length, combined with the pistol-grip-only design, is what places the Mossberg outside the NFA venue. OTOH, a design like the Rossi Ranch Hand is basically patterned after a cut-down rifle, with an OAL below the legal minimum for NFA status, causing it to be sold as a pistol, rather than a long gun.

Nice! I have a Mosberg 590-A1. 8 round tube, ghost sights, pistol grip and collapsible stock. Ya gotta love military specs. It even has a bayonet lug. So, yes I bought a bayonet for it. Shotgun with a bayonet, whats not to love! :banana:

[QUOE="usedto, post: 10264507, member: 11551"]For those of us in CA, there is also the issue of the gun being on the "Roster". If it's not on the approved list, you can't buy it in the state.[/QUOTE]
And If you have an AR like me it looks like another loop hole was found that will keep it from having to be registered. It amounts to an add on part so that the the clip can be removed only by breaking the gun open. Mag drops, out, slap another one in and snap it shut. Im waiting for the part. A few ive talked to have said its faster than the stupid bullet release.

The laws on this are interesting. Sometime back on the local shooting forum the discussion of how to register 100% AR lowers came up. When the lower was received by your FFL you have the option to declare what it would be built into. The common thinking was to declare as a pistol. While a gun built up as a pistol cannot have a stock and short barrel on the weapon at the same time, it can have a stock if the barrel length is sufficient. So declaring a pistol reg on your AR lower lets the finished gun be either pistol or rifle whereas declaring it as a rifle does not. Your rifle lower cannot be a pistol unless re-reg as an SBR. Oy!

This is how the pistol upper carbine conversions work. The one below is based off a 1911 and can be stocked and used as a rifle or converted back to a pistol yet remain legal. My bet is that the Mossberg fits the same category in that you can put a full length barrel on it and a stock and use it as you would any other shotgun. You would be illegally using it however if you had the stock on with the short barrel at the same time.

bv_img71.jpg

More on the law -

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html

And then there is this, the C-More M26. It is derivef from a military version and is legal to own. However, last time I read about it the classification was AOW (any other weapon) and required a $5 tax stamp on it. I'd bet you do have to pay that on the Mossberg as well -

042c600b76eaf40e392256f7087f90ab

AOW / Any Other Weapon has been on the books for long, long time. With the current administration I would be shocked if there is any attempt to roll it back. Indeed the interim ATF director Turk is calling for liberalization of current regs and outright elimination of many. Suppressors for example may be taken off tax stamp status entirely. Also, lifting the import ban on obsolete US weapons sent to other countries (M1, M1 carbine), and... allowing the importation of new "assault" rifles again.

Interesting times....

Remember, folks, politics is a forbidden topic at AK, and this thread is at least on the edge.

And then there is this, the C-More M26 PDW M1. It is derived from a military version and is legal to own. However, last time I read about it the classification was AOW (any other weapon) and required a $5 tax stamp on it. I'd bet you do have to pay that on the Mossberg as well -

042c600b76eaf40e392256f7087f90ab

AOW / Any Other Weapon has been on the books for long, long time.
Interesting times....

Looks like an amazing home-defense weapon -
tho I suspect my wrists would be assaulted firing one of these pistol-grip shotguns

http://www.cmorecomp.com/m26-pdw-m1.html

Regarding the Mossberg "shorty"; you can convert the tube magazine to take detachable mags. Even a drum magazine.

You would not be allowed to use a pistol grip on the rear of the "shorty", unless it had some weird over-hang to keep the length legal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom