Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

Tx OTB

They were actually released in the late 60's early 70's according to the Yamaha history http://ae.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/hifi-history/speaker/

An update and perhaps I can now understand why people did not really take this up...
it is actually so ahead of it's time & unique I think.
Firstly it is based on musical instruments hence comments you see that say place them 15 cm from walls was perhaps just to get the marketing going , but I moved them into the room even further yesterday after reading that they were based on instruments such as a grand piano / organ etc ... those are never that close to a wall...
So if you have a pair do this move them into the room & then even more into the room ,,, mods open up magically and bass ... wow .... the stage or whatever the audiophiles call it have a d path I cannot even explain ... these things are nothing short of spactacular when used correctly and finally that SET quality shows itself even more with sounds falling out of the air a few meters away from the speaker ... I literally had to switch off Booker T last night when that distorted paddled guitars started playing ... that's how good this sounds...

So I've moved them more in say 2.3m from back wall and very close to each other ... man you gotta enjoy soul and blues tracks in this way to understand what those musicians were doing....

I hope someone else have a set of the Ns30(upright version as in the video above) or similar to these ns330 or bigger 3 way ones to be able to verify what I am hearing( of course use a good set amp)

I am thinking , how would a stacked pair sound like .... sure it will be huge ...

See latest position ( hopefully these cellphone pics can show some idea)
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG

Don't know if this counts but... I'm using a stack of P3500S pro amps to drive the L/C/R & surrounds in our HT system. Great sounding amps. I was using them in the two channel system to drive subs and a pair of KEF LS50s. The Yamahas sounded good enough with the KEFs, that I've ordered a P2500S to put back on them.

FYI, if there are any other Yamaha pro amp fans here; I discovered that Yamaha may be discontinuing these, in favor for their new class "D" PX series. Looks like a nice amp, except it has non-defeatable DSP in it. Bummer.

VzH8dA.jpg

Don't know if this counts but... I'm using a stack of P3500S pro amps to drive the L/C/R & surrounds in our HT system. Great sounding amps. I was using them in the two channel system to drive subs and a pair of KEF LS50s. The Yamahas sounded good enough with the KEFs, that I've ordered a P2500S to put back on them.

FYI, if there are any other Yamaha pro amp fans here; I discovered that Yamaha may be discontinuing these, in favor for their new class "D" PX series. Looks like a nice amp, except it has non-defeatable DSP in it. Bummer.

VzH8dA.jpg

Yeah that should do...
Looks like you're running them bridged, in other words you're sending 2000 watts rms to each speaker. Are you SURE that's enough? :)
I'm running a P1600 (1997, predecessor to your amps' series) in stereo mode powering the NHT SuperTwos. It sounds very, very good.

Well the top three are the Yamahas, not bridged. They go to Paradigm Studios, so at 8 ohms thats 390wpc. Still alot. The center Yamaha goes to the center channel, so just using one channel there. I have the gain setup so that they produce 80 dBs with my Sony TAP preamp at 12:00 setting. So the gain controls on the amps are turned down a bit. Using Jensen Isomax trannys in between and the speakers are dead quiet, up close.

The bottom two are Crown Drivecore class D jobbers (XLS1500s) IMHO, they don't sound as good as the Yamahas, so I use them bridged (1500 wpc) for a pair of diy sealed subwoofers.

Can't show the fronts as is, cause they are stuffed in a closet. But here they are when I was using them in the two channel system. I was using one amp for each channel, driving the KEFs and the accompanying mid bass sub. The 3rd Yamaha was in the LH closet, driving a pair of IB manifolds in the ceiling.:

hqdIzS.jpg

And here's the newest Yamaha PX series, they are nice looking:

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/poweramps/px/

Last edited:
Thanks!
I will pass on the tuner. I had a TX-900u, but parted away with, since I have no time to listen to the radio.
Actually, for my 1k set, the TX-1000u would be the tuner to have, if I we're to get another.

I had a tx-930 among others. I also once had a C-70 preamp (with that door!). My semi-serious comment wasn't about a tuner per se, it was about that door! The TX-2000 had the door, but I think it might have only come in that champagne color.

Back
Top Bottom